Which generator needed to run a/c - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Which generator needed to run a/c

Am considering the purchase of a portable generator that can be taken with me on trips where I would be in unserviced sites. The primary reason for the generator would be to run the factory installed 11000 btu a/c on my 2013 Escape 19'. I already have solar and dual batteries, so the only use for the generator would be to run the a/c in very hot conditions where no services are available. I seem to be finding a lot of conflicting reports regarding the size of generator required to start and run this a/c unit. Some reports seem to indicate that the Honda 2000 inverter generator is suitable, while others indicate a 2400 watt generator (such as by Yamaha) is required. Is there anyone actually using a generator to run the a/c in your 19' and what are you using? Also, under what conditions are you using your generator? By the way, I have no interest in modifying the a/c for soft start. If that is required for the smaller generator to work, including at higher altitudes, I think that I would just go with the larger generator.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:01 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The Dometic 11000 Air conditioner uses 1600 watts, the same as the rated amperage of the eu2000i, the Yamaha EF24500iSHC is rated for 2000 watts. I have no experience actually trying it but lacking such I'd feel safer with the Yamaha as that's the reason you're buying one.
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:15 PM   #3

Hey Dave we are thinking the exact same as you and are going to order the honda powered genset from online at costco.ca it's a 5000 watt made in Canada for like $950 can't go wrong my pop has had that exact same engine on his watertruck pump for 8 years using it everyday to pump off water average of 8000 gallons a day , starts with first pull all times of the year and has never been serviced other than oil . I am going to bolt it into a box to slide into the hitch on the back of the trailer and then the wife can run our pill for bitchy AKA the air lol , cheers mike
stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
A Honda 2000 with hard start compasitor 'SHOULD WORK' and besides it's quiet compared to some other brands: http://www.littlehousecustoms.com/im...hard_start.jpg
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoney View Post
Hey Dave we are thinking the exact same as you and are going to order the honda powered genset from online at costco.ca it's a 5000 watt made in Canada for like $950 can't go wrong my pop has had that exact same engine on his watertruck pump for 8 years using it everyday to pump off water average of 8000 gallons a day , starts with first pull all times of the year and has never been serviced other than oil . I am going to bolt it into a box to slide into the hitch on the back of the trailer and then the wife can run our pill for bitchy AKA the air lol , cheers mike
I don't see any honda generators on the costco web site. Do you have a link to it?

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Old 11-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
You will be almost certainly be quite unpopular if you run this generator near anyone else - or in a campground. This is from their "Economy" line, for which they give no sound level information, which usually means it is VERY loud.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #7

Go to costco.ca , click on hardware , click on generators under alternative power and you should find Surge Master SM5000CH 5,000 Watt Portable Generator . I don't like the frame so I will weld a box together that can slide into the receiver keeping the rubber mounts for isolation . This will run anything you care to plug into it and all my buddies can also plug in when we're out fishing , hunting ect. so no need for everyone to pack one , may not come wrapped in a fancy case but for us it'll do just fine , as far as noise it runs at 72db most 2 & 3 thousand watt run at 65db and we will only use it while out on crown land , cheers mike
stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:50 PM   #8

Ok, see it now. That is not quite the generator that I was looking for. What I would like is something fairly compact and lightweight, and only powerful enough to run the generator under the conditions I described above. Will have to keep looking.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #9

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
as far as noise it runs at 72db most 2 & 3 thousand watt run at 65db
2000/3000 watt Inverter types are 59db at full bore

70db is twice as loud as 60db
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
2000/3000 watt Inverter types are 59db at full bore

70db is twice as loud as 60db
Let's keep the discussion on track please, this discussion of noise levels on a generator that is not a contender is not where I would like to see this go. My original question was for those of you using generators to power your A/C on your Escape, what has worked for you?

thanks

Old 11-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I would think that the noise level of a generator would determine if you could use it to power your A/C or not. You can always disregard answers that you don't feel are pertinent .
I, for one, wasn't aware that 70 is twice as much as 60 so I learned something today.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:30 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
If you don't care for our answers, maybe this one from Reace would help? Direct Link: Generators & A/C
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:42 PM   #13

Good to know that Reace has successfully tested the a/c with a 2000 watt generator. Anyone else have actually used a generator to run their a/c?

Old 11-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #14

I apologize. Not trying to stir things up. I am really interested in hearing about people's real life experience using a generator, and I know how easily it is sometimes to get off topic.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:22 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
If you don't care for our answers, maybe this one from Reace would help? Direct Link: Generators & A/C
Excellent link

One caution: hot restarts are a common A/C problem, but Reace likely covered that. Another potentially problematic situation might be high elevations, where the generator engine would have less power but the A/C would need just as much starting current. Chilliwack is pretty close to sea level compared to the places many owners camp.

Anyone have high-elevation experience? I think we now realize that both generator and A/C versions are relevant.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:16 AM   #16

Trailer: 2013 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Let's keep the discussion on track please, this discussion of noise levels on a generator that is not a contender is not where I would like to see this go. My original question was for those of you using generators to power your A/C on your Escape, what has worked for you?

thanks
I just picked my 19 up and talked with Tammy and Reese about whether the Honda 2000 would run the a/c. They both said the Honda 2000 was good enough to run the a/c. The key is the start up. The a/c needs a kick to get it started just like any electrical equipment and then it runs at lesser wattage. To help your Honda 2000 you should start the fan on the a/c first. This way the generator only needs to kick start the fan. Once the fan is running then start the a/c. Now the generator only needs to kick start the a/c which will be less than trying to do both the fan and the a/c at the same time. When the a/c is started the Honda 2000 is sufficient for running it. You can buy a Yamaha or any other brand but the gold standard is Honda. The Honda costs more, but you get what you pay for.
sokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:36 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Hi Dave,
While it's true you lose HP at higher elevations, you not likely going to need your AC at higher elevations. I think you are going to be disappointed trying to use a Honda 2K to keep you cool. It has been my experience that power from the Honda 2000 is too marginal to smoothly run your AC. Even with the converter and all other 120vt. users off, you run the risk of damage to your AC compressor. Read the warnings and power requirements from the AC manufacture's information. I would also recommend searching the archives for some very "real world", good information on this subject. While I love my 2K, it is my opinion that it will not hold up to the task of powering your AC for prolong periods of time and cycling.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandsandyclink View Post
I would also recommend searching the archives for some very "real world", good information on this subject.
I agree, but keep in mind that at least three different air conditioners have been used, and experience with one may not be applicable for another.

The units I have seen mentioned as used in Escapes:
  1. Polar Cub 9,200 BTU/hr
  2. older Dometic 11,000 BTU/hr
  3. newer Dometic 11,000 BTU/hr (600312.331C)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandsandyclink View Post
While I love my 2K, it is my opinion that it will not hold up to the task of powering your AC for prolong periods of time and cycling.
Which version of which air conditioner do you have?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
I apologize. Not trying to stir things up. I am really interested in hearing about people's real life experience using a generator, and I know how easily it is sometimes to get off topic.
Sometimes? we've always gone off topic right from the beginning, must have drove Jeff crazy back in the old days .
Old 12-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Sometimes? we've always gone off topic right from the beginning, must have drove Jeff crazy back in the old days .
We didn't really have any rules. Jeff and I agreed that if a thread became offensive, we'd simply create a section for offensive posts and move them there. But, it never happened.
Only problem was a spate of spam a couple times and Jeff took care of that. I did spend a Saturday morning once trying to delete spam, but it was coming in faster than I could delete it and only Jeff could ban the poster.
As for threads going off topic, I just think of it as a conversation.
And, have another beer.