White-Rodgers thermostat failure - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2020, 11:22 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
White-Rodgers thermostat failure

A few years ago I replaced my trailer's mechanical furnace thermostat with a digital thermostat by White-Rodgers, recommended on this forum. It has worked well up until now. Currently when I turn it on the furnace runs but the thermostat won't turn it off. The readout from its digital thermometer rises until it gets stuck at 66 or 68 degrees while the actual temperature keeps rising, according to my senses and other thermometers. Changing out the thermostat's batteries had no effect.

I've never seen a digital thermometer or thermostat behave in this manner. Has anyone else had this problem?
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Recently turned on the PC the way I always do and my screen went haywire and my Logitech wireless mouse froze up - I was totally flummoxed. Changed its batteries but still no joy. Thought might have to take the PC into my computer guy for surgery.

Then I pulled out my old wired Microsoft mouse and plugged it in. Back to normal now. Moral of story? Sometimes digital appendages just die.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:45 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I finally had the thought: since the thermostat's temperature gauge won't go over 66 or 68 no matter how warm the trailer is, why not just set it at 66 and leave it there? Sure enough, that works-- it will shut the furnace off and turn it back on normally. I put the new thermostat in the spare parts bin for when the old one fails altogether.

I'm just happy that the furnace is working to be honest. After I blew it out with the exhaust from a shop vac it seems to be doing fine. Thermostat issues are secondary.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:01 AM   #4

This is probably of no help to you but anyways...
Attached Thumbnails
WhiteRogers.jpg  
Old 01-29-2020, 10:03 AM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19, 2010 Palomino Y series prior
What thermostat do you have?
White Rogers 70 series units fail over time. They are pretty common in track housing up here, and I change a fair mount after 6-7 years. They are a budget thermostat.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:56 AM   #6

Enjoyed great White-Rogers furnace control the last two weeks until, at the Quartzsite Rally the furnace began working erratically. First it wouldn't shut off, then I couldn't adjust the temperature, then I couldn't turn it on. (Now what!) Never had a problem in 6 years. The digital thermostat, I hoped, was the problem. Pulled off the cover and realized those two AAA batteries in there had never been changed. Problems all went away with new batteries.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Enjoyed great White-Rogers furnace control the last two weeks until, at the Quartzsite Rally the furnace began working erratically. First it wouldn't shut off, then I couldn't adjust the temperature, then I couldn't turn it on. (Now what!) Never had a problem in 6 years. The digital thermostat, I hoped, was the problem. Pulled off the cover and realized those two AAA batteries in there had never been changed. Problems all went away with new batteries.
Have same thermostat Myron and you just scared me . Yes haven’t had a issue . When the light had gotten dim , changed out the batteries so everything is good thank goodness ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote