Why 12 volt Exterior Outlets? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2022, 11:27 AM   #41

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
.... The Andersen Powerpole stuff is nice, the little ones handle up to 45 amps... but they aren't weatherproof unless you put them inside a weather box. Otherwise they are my favorite DC connectors, and they have larger ones for 100s of amps.
John, now there's this option, looks like it'd be a very clean way to install an exterior Powerpole through our trailer shells: Panel Mount Housing for a Single Powerpole Connector with a Weather Tight Cover in White

Just for your consideration
Old 05-21-2022, 03:27 PM   #42
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
ah, that white one is new. I have the older black dual one (inside), and I don't trust that cover to be actually waterproof, unless maybe you squirt a bunch of electrical silicone grease on it.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 04:40 PM   #43

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
So, now I am wondering if there might be a way to use a transfer pump (not the drinking water one!) to pump from the grey tank to the black tank.
I think that you would want to use a floating pickup in the grey tank to avoid the gunk on the bottom and the gunk floating on top, unless you use a macerator or trash pump.

A macerator pump can be attached to the dump valve outlet, and to pump through a garden hose to the black tank (via the toilet or an extra fitting plumbed through the trailer wall). These are not cheap, but they're commercially available mounted on a suitable fitting and powered by 12 VDC for pumping out RVs to a tank, and they can handle whatever is in the tank.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 11:50 PM   #44

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
The exterior USB charger on our 2020 5.0 quit working so I decided the repair would be an easy project. Ha Ha.
Click image for larger version

Name:	outside 12V.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	62859
To get to the socket locking rings on the inside I removed the passenger dinette seat cushion and figured out how to remove the plywood base below the cushion. Found the locking rings. ETI used all kinds of sealant so the job wasn't as easy as I hoped.

Name:	inside 12V.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	62860
I ended getting the USB charger out with a big wrench which didn't really hurt anything valuable because you can see the USB charger was fried:

Name:	corroded charger.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	62861
The cigarette lighter outlet in the other hole seems to be OK. I haven't yet decided whether to replace the USB charger with another one or install a second cigarette lighter outlet and use a plug-in charger like this in the future.

Name:	Wotobeus.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	62862
One thing to be aware of is that both the external 12V outlets and the inside outlets by the entrance are all powered by the same circuit that is protected by a 15 amp fuse in the WFCO power center. 15 amps at 12 volts calculates out to a theoretical total draw of 180 watts before the fuse blows (a practical limit of about 150 watts). So be careful how many high-current 12-volt devices you expect to run at once.

I'm thinking of adding an external PowerPole outlet on its own 30-amp service to run a little fridge and the other devices like a water pump or air compressor as others have done.

Any questions?
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 12:36 AM   #45
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
My approach to external USB charging was to take this little box, and replace it's cigar plug with a PP15. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09638CTJK

If I need multiple PP stuff at once, I have a 5 way splitter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KQD9V3G/
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote