Why removable power cord? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2016, 05:03 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA (July 19, 2017)
Why removable power cord?

Question: I see there is an option for a removable power cord. What is the advantage of a power cord being detachable?
Thanks!
John
LatLongJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
One less intrusion point for pests and road debris. However remote those odds are.

Also easy to have different lengths on hand.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
One less intrusion point for pests and road debris. However remote those odds are.

Also easy to have different lengths on hand.
I'm assuming then that a "non-removable" power cord arrangement is one where the cord is permanently attached and stored in a compartment with the electrical box and then pulled out when needed. The removable power cord, I'm guessing, needs to be stowed in one of the storage spaces in the trailer (i.e. doesn't have it's own compartment where you "feed" it back into the trailer). Is that correct?
Thanks!
John
Old 08-18-2016, 05:30 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Correct. I went with the detachable to save on storage space. The detachable can by coiled up and stowed.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:39 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I like non-removable because I only pull out what's is necessary so when it comes time to put it away, I only have to wipe mud off the section that was exposed.
Mine coils in the driver-side rear bench where the water heater, pump and electrics are. Tammy advised me not to use that bench for storage.
That's eight years of debris in the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Cord 1.jpg  
Old 08-18-2016, 06:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Shouldn't one of the threads about this oft asked question with the same predictable answers be a stickie?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Nobody reads stickies.
I almost didn't respond, but then had to remember that new members come along all the time. Not trying to persuade anybody. Just offering my experience.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:44 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Nobody searches threads either. Well over 90% of all new questions aren't new at all, and have been extensively covered in other threads. That's OK though- I don't mind answering or commenting on the same question over and over and over......[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2016, 07:04 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...cord-5810.html

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...ower-cord-2146

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...core-1482.html

I did a search of the Forum. See above for a sampling of the threads. There are about 4 pages of threads to look at

In defense of John it took me a long time to figure out how to use the search function on this Forum. U use the second option under the search drop down function. The one that has Google search in it.

Also not every new forum member is all that used to computers. Also asking questions is a way to introduce yourself and get a "feel" for the Forum. Also, some of us are retired and don't mind pontificating our opinions so we don't mind answering

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:26 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Nobody searches threads either. Well over 90% of all new questions aren't new at all, and have been extensively covered in other threads. That's OK though- I don't mind answering or commenting on the same question over and over and over......[emoji23]

No tears Robert, you got a gold star with that recent fridge recap. My response might have earned a tin star.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:51 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:

When I see questions like this over and over, I remind myself that just a few years ago, I was asking the same questions. A great way to spread valuable information!
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:36 PM   #12

Trailer: None as yet
Quote:

You can say that again
SSBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:43 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I was going to suggest it be a FAQ. Searched and nothing turned up. At any rate it is handy if an experienced person could post some links, as was done in this case, to previous threads that cover the issue in question.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...cord-5810.html

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...ower-cord-2146

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...core-1482.html

I did a search of the Forum. See above for a sampling of the threads. There are about 4 pages of threads to look at

In defense of John it took me a long time to figure out how to use the search function on this Forum. U use the second option under the search drop down function. The one that has Google search in it.

Also not every new forum member is all that used to computers. Also asking questions is a way to introduce yourself and get a "feel" for the Forum. Also, some of us are retired and don't mind pontificating our opinions so we don't mind answering

Larry
Thanks for the links, Larry! I'll try to figure out how to better use the search function as I go along.
John
Old 08-18-2016, 10:43 PM   #15

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Regarding the removable power cord:

I went back and forth on the dang option. First I wanted it, then I read that some folks had problems getting it to hook up properly, so I figured with my tendonitis (and lack of strength in my hands), it would be a major PITA for me to use. So, it wasn't added to the build sheet.

Then, later on, I read all the posts about pests not getting in and all that. So, I went back to thinking I'd want it. And I like the fact I can coil it up neatly and stash it away - probably in the front storage container we're getting.

When I was last up at ETI I asked to try out the detachable cord, if possible. Fortunately there was a trailer there waiting to be delivered that had the detachable cord. Yay! One thing I will do when we get ours is add a dot of brightly colored nail polish (dang, gotta buy a bottle just for that!) on both the cord and the trailer. It wasn't very easy (for me) to get the cord and the outlet to line up so I could get the cord properly attached. I'm not the greatest at stuff like that, so that colored dot will help greatly.

So, yeah, that option is on our build sheet.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:46 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
We went back and forth on it too, but it wasn't a really high priority either way.

Now that we've had the trailer for over a year and a half, I decided to add one via a conversion kit. Not because we've had issues with the regular cord, but because it grew on me.

Besides, it gives me an excuse to tinker.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:47 PM   #17

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
When I see questions like this over and over, I remind myself that just a few years ago, I was asking the same questions. A great way to spread valuable information!
Me too! I had about a bazillion questions. I was clueless about how to do a search, even though I have decent amount of computer knowledge. It just wasn't applied to forums, which were completely new to me at the time. (well, almost new)

And also pretty clueless about trailers and camping and towing and ...

Still am in many regards. But, hopefully soon that knowledge base will expand. Yay!

I do remember one person ragging at me for my questions, but I ignored it, after being horribly hurt by the comment. That person later apologized in a PM, which was nice. Especially since I had forgotten who that person was by that point.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:51 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
In the end, both types work as they are supposed to. What do you need/want... can afford? Aren't we glad there are options?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:55 PM   #19

Trailer: 2016 17B
We got the removable cord after learning that mice can come to visit, via the permanently attached hose conduit. That's all I needed to hear.
Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
In the end, both types work as they are supposed to. What do you need/want... can afford? Aren't we glad there are options?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
We got the removable cord after learning that mice can come to visit, via the permanently attached hose conduit. That's all I needed to hear.
Yeah, that was the deal breaker for me, after I realized I really could get it attached properly. Plus, I figure, the more I use it, the better I'll be at attaching it. Ask me how easily I can attach it after I've gone on some camping trips.

and, holy cow, is that a true statement, or what, Donna! Yikes!

I'll read about other brands on this forum or in Trailer Life or see them on the road. I know I researched quite a few of them before we decided on the Escape. I'll still go back to their sites from time to time, just to refresh my memory as to what exactly they're like. Each time I'm thankful for Escape.

Dirk and I have commented many, many times how nice the trailer will be when we get it. How nice it is that we're able to customize the trailer the way we want it. How wonderful it is that we can get the flooring, fabric and countertop that we want. Yes, I know many find the stock options just fine, but we didn't like 'em. Nor did we like any of what we saw in all the trailers we viewed at shows and dealer lots. In fact, all that brown was rather depressing and I was trying to figure out ways to cover it up.

When I found out about all the customizing we could do on our trailer - Well, let the fun begin!