Zamp Obsidian Roof Mount Panels - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2021, 10:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Zamp Obsidian Roof Mount Panels

Anyone here using these new panels from Zamp? I'm thinking of getting the 200W kit, as it looks like the (2) 100 watt panels will fit perfectly on either side of the apex of the 5.0 roof, thereby enjoying 2 nice angles of exposure...
https://www.zampsolar.com/pages/obsi...s-solar-panels

I'm already a Zamp guy through and through, love the company and their American-made products, just asking around about these new ones because I haven't met anyone who has them yet. I suppose my first question would be about the install, did you screw the feet down? Or did you do like some folks I've seen online that are using VHB tape and EternaBond?
Old 05-25-2021, 11:38 PM   #2

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
Anyone here using these new panels from Zamp? I'm thinking of getting the 200W kit, as it looks like the (2) 100 watt panels will fit perfectly on either side of the apex of the 5.0 roof, thereby enjoying 2 nice angles of exposure...

I'm already a Zamp guy through and through, love the company and their American-made products, just asking around about these new ones because I haven't met anyone who has them yet. I suppose my first question would be about the install, did you screw the feet down? Or did you do like some folks I've seen online that are using VHB tape and EternaBond?
I looked at Zamp's Obsidian 100 watt panels but at $1,398 for three panels I passed.

First I ordered Renogy's Eclipse 100 watt panel at $199.99 each, but then I found the voltage (VMP) too low at 17.7 and sent them back after I realized they made their $106.24, Compact Design 100 watt panel with a VMP of 18.6 to better match with my existing 170 watt GoPower with a VMP of 19.3. That's a total of $318.74 including shipping for three 100 watt panels.

Since the four panels (three 100 watt and one 170 watt) will be wattage mismatched they will be wired in parallel. Even after factoring in the loss from the mismatch the four panels theoretically will able to produce 465 watts of solar on the perfect day that never happens.

AM Solar uses mounts with 2 1/2 square inches of VHB tape and claim they've never had a panel blow off. I'll be making my own mounts using 1/8" x 2" aluminum angle 4" long. Each mount will have 8 square inches of VHB tape, or over 3 times the amount AM Solar uses, so the panels should remain mounted to the roof.

The front panel by the bed escape hatch on our 5.0 will be able to tilt to the front or rear of the camper. The panel behind the tilting forward panel and the panel between the Maxx Fan and the AC unit will be mounted flat/level.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 05-26-2021, 12:04 AM   #3

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Quote:

TahoeJoe, looks like you're starting a great thread here on the forum for people who have chosen to go with Zamp's new Obsidian panels. Of course there are people who choose different panels but I like your idea of focusing on these new Zamp Obsidian panels to share tips with other who've chosen the same.

I've purchased the new Zamp Obsidian portable panels because I want to be able to store them under the middle stairs of our 5.0. The one's we chose that fit are the 45 watt portable panels. I got a great introductory deal on two of those with a total of 90 watts and I'm in the process of installing them. I'll keep people posted here if they're interested in learning more about how to hook them up and how they work. Cheers!
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 12:17 AM   #4

Quote:

TahoeJoe, you asked specifically about how to mount the Zamp Obsidian panels on the Escape roof and whether it's necessary to screw the feet down.

I note that Zamp's mounting feet come with VHB double-sided tape for quick peel-and-stick installations. Some folks will understandably wonder if VHB tape is enough or whether it's better to also screw the feet to the top of the trailer.

If you look at the AM Solar web <amsolar.com> site you'll see that they use VHB tape to mount panels and have never had a foot come loose. They do use Dicor sealant to protect the VHB tape from the elements, using it to seal around mount feet, cable management hardware and combiner boxes attached to roofs.

So I think the answer to your question is Yes, the VHB tape is sufficient to mount your Zamp Obsidian feet to the roof of your Escape, provided you've prepared the surface properly, applied the VHB tape properly, and then used Dicor to seal the tape against the elements.
Old 05-26-2021, 12:26 AM   #5

You may want to read and watch AM Solar's roof mount explanations and videos.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 05-26-2021, 12:30 AM   #6

Here's another thing to consider when installing the new Zamp Obsidian solar panels. Zamp uses ATP Series interconnect plugs to connect panels, combiner boxes and other hardware instead of the older SAE connectors that they use for their Legacy series panels. Zamp hasn't yet rolled out ATP-compatible combiner boxes, Zamp ports for portable panels, and other devices that used the older SAE standard. I spoke to a Zamp technician a couple of days ago who assured me that they're trying to bring to market these ATP-compatible components as soon as possible. But in the meantime, be aware that you may need some adapters to be able to connect the new Obsidian panels to the older-style components. I still think the Obsidian panels are the way to go but, as always, being on the bleeding edge of new technology does come with some costs!
Old 05-26-2021, 12:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
You may want to read and watch AM Solar's roof mount explanations and videos.

Enjoy,

Perry
Good link, Perry.

As AM Solar says: "Fiberglass roofs – We have been using a type of 3M double-sided tape on our mounts since the mid 1990’s, and we have never lost a panel. As long as the tape is properly installed on a clean surface at the correct temperature, it will hold. As an added level of protection, we use a layer of Dicor self-leveling sealant around the entire perimeter of the mount, and cover the screw holes/heads as well. The sealant protects the tape and any potential roof penetrations from water intrusion and decay."
Old 05-26-2021, 01:42 PM   #8

Thanks guys, good info all around. I mentioned EternaBond because I saw some folks using that on top of the brackets, but I like the idea of using something like Dicor a lot better. Perry, increasing the contact surface area is a great idea too!

Ed, yes I saw your post (last year maybe?) about the portable ones, and although portable has its advantages (I've used them in the past), I decided to start with roof mount, and then I can always supplement with a portable in the future. And yes if I go with Zamp Obsidian for the roof mount, that means I'll be going with the same for portable, so the connectors shouldn't be a problem. I don't mind paying extra for Zamp's premium products, their customer service and warranty, and supporting made in the U.S. I'll be ordering these very soon, I was actually hoping they may announce some kind of Memorial Day sale...fingers crossed! Anyways I'll report back here on my progress...
Old 05-26-2021, 02:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
I looked at Zamp's Obsidian 100 watt panels but at $1,398 for three panels I passed.

First I ordered Renogy's Eclipse 100 watt panel at $199.99 each, but then I found the voltage (VMP) too low at 17.7 and sent them back after I realized they made their $106.24, Compact Design 100 watt panel with a VMP of 18.6 to better match with my existing 170 watt GoPower with a VMP of 19.3. That's a total of $318.74 including shipping for three 100 watt panels.

Since the four panels (three 100 watt and one 170 watt) will be wattage mismatched they will be wired in parallel. Even after factoring in the loss from the mismatch the four panels theoretically will able to produce 465 watts of solar on the perfect day that never happens.

AM Solar uses mounts with 2 1/2 square inches of VHB tape and claim they've never had a panel blow off. I'll be making my own mounts using 1/8" x 2" aluminum angle 4" long. Each mount will have 8 square inches of VHB tape, or over 3 times the amount AM Solar uses, so the panels should remain mounted to the roof.

The front panel by the bed escape hatch on our 5.0 will be able to tilt to the front or rear of the camper. The panel behind the tilting forward panel and the panel between the Maxx Fan and the AC unit will be mounted flat/level.

Enjoy,

Perry
Well dang now I'm having second thoughts...I contacted Zamp and they say they have no sales planned, while at the same time Renogy just put up their Memorial Day sale. Their equivalent 200W kit is less than $400 out the door...compared to nearly $1200 if I go the Zamp route. Perry, aren't these the same panels as the 100W ones you got?
https://www.renogy.com/200-watt-12-volt-solar-rv-kit/
Old 05-27-2021, 10:27 AM   #10

After a night of research and crunching numbers, and also getting some advice from some solar experts I know, I've decided to forego the "kit" approach and take advantage of Renogy's sale and also a 10% additional discount provided by said friends that are sponsored by Renogy. I guess my devotion to Zamp has a dollar limit, eh? It's not just the price of the Renogy panels but also the size...the 100W panels are just perfect for the 5.0 roof. I like Perry's idea of getting 3, to be placed on either side of the apex and the third one either in front of the AC or behind it.

Renogy's charge controller that I would want for this is not on sale, so I may just pay a little extra for a Victron, as many have vouched for in these forums...
Old 05-28-2021, 07:49 AM   #11

Quote:
After a night of research and crunching numbers, and also getting some advice from some solar experts I know, I've decided to forego the "kit" approach and take advantage of Renogy's sale and also a 10% additional discount provided by said friends that are sponsored by Renogy. I guess my devotion to Zamp has a dollar limit, eh? It's not just the price of the Renogy panels but also the size...the 100W panels are just perfect for the 5.0 roof. I like Perry's idea of getting 3, to be placed on either side of the apex and the third one either in front of the AC or behind it.

Renogy's charge controller that I would want for this is not on sale, so I may just pay a little extra for a Victron, as many have vouched for in these forums...
While I buy "Local" and "American" as much as practical, I find it hard to justify $1,000 extra for panels I can buy for $318 instead of $1,398 for the local, American product. We don't have that kind of discretionary money. Besides we just had an unplanned, and turned out undeeded, purchase of a Dickinson stove!

For the past year we've been using a Renogy portable panel, so was familiar with the company. I would skip a Renogy controller though. We purchased a Renogy controller with their portable and the wire buss was a joke, even poorer than the buss on our Victron 100/20 controller. The bus on our Victron 100/30 was much improved over the 100/20.

Our Victron 100/30 will be the controller for our 170 watt GoPower panel and the three Renogy panels, all wired in parallel. In parallel theoretically 463-465 watts, depending on who's math you wan to use, will be going to the controller, while in series only 302 watts. We also want the shading ability offered in parallel. Many are happy wiring in series though, but we camp in too many places where one panel or the other will get sun during the day. It sounds like you will have all equal panels (300 watts?) so you may want to wire in series.

Our Victron 100/20 controls the portable, but if I had known I was going to replace the ETI provided GoPower I would have saved my money and just used the GoPower for the portable. Now the GoPower controller just sits unused underneath the u-shape dinette for emergency use.

We also have a Victron BMV-712 battery monitor to help know if something is going wrong. I really like Victron's bluetooth capability and often watch what is going on when driving down the road.

In reality, we probably could have gotten by with one Renogy 100 watt panel on the front to augment the 170 watt panel on the rear. However at only $106 per panel, having the space on the roof, and the fact that once started it won't take that much more time to build more 4" roof legs and attach them to the roof, adding two more panels at a minimal cost, seemed like a no-brainer. Yesterday I installed a cut-off blade in my miter saw and cut nine 2" angles, 4" long. Today the other three will be cut and all will be drilled.

I did purchase one tilt mount bracket set from Renogy. Since the cutouts in Renogy's brackets do not give enough area for the VHB tape to adhere properly, the brackets will be used to attach to two of the frames. By using their brackets to mount to two solar panels, in a pinch I could actually tilt two panels with the hardware provided by just cutting two more prop angle legs. We don't have an inverter, so in reality, with 463 watts on the roof, and well over 200 usable battery amp hours, will I ever tilt the panels? I will say the tilt kit allowed me to visualize what needed to be done for a solid install and provided at least $10 in aluminum that would have been purchased anyway, plus six attachment knobs.

If you buy your roof wire from AM Solar the roof wire is two in a bundle. Renogy only sells individual wires, so you have twice the wires to manage on your roof. I'm also using AM Solar's roof wire attachment points for a neat install.

Food for thought,

Perry