Zamp or SAE? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2022, 09:34 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Zamp or SAE?

New 21C with 1 panel, 2 Lith batts. Is there a way to test the factory solar port with a meter to determine whether port is Zamp wired or SAE? I'm hooking up a Renogy 100W suitecase. I know that I will have to bypass the onboard Voyager controller on the suitcase. I think that all I will have to do is disconnect the leads from the panels from the "solar" connectors on the controller and splicing in an SAE connector. Is this correct? Thanks in advance.
beebobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 10:54 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by beebobby View Post
New 21C with 1 panel, 2 Lith batts. Is there a way to test the factory solar port with a meter to determine whether port is Zamp wired or SAE? I'm hooking up a Renogy 100W suitecase. I know that I will have to bypass the onboard Voyager controller on the suitcase. I think that all I will have to do is disconnect the leads from the panels from the "solar" connectors on the controller and splicing in an SAE connector. Is this correct? Thanks in advance.
Use a volt meter (multimeter on DC voltage setting) to check the polarity of both the trailer receptacle as well as the output of the solar panel, and match them. I wouldn't trust either the panel maker or Escape to meet any standard since there isn't any.
Old 09-26-2022, 11:26 AM   #3

Is SAE neg same as chassis ground? What voltage should I be seeing across the port?
Red meter lead on barrel(female) black lead on pin (male) I'm reading -14.1 vdc. I think this is telling me that the female is neg and the male is positive.
Old 09-26-2022, 12:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 E19
That's an interesting question, because the answer should be conditionally, Yes. The negative side of your portable panel should connect to the negative side of the port (regardless of the wire color, 'cause some SAE pigtails are color coded and should be ignored for your purposes). The negative from your roof mounted panel should be combined with that negative before contacting the solar controller in your trailer. The negative output of the controller then will be combined with the chassis ground, and all other negative 12 vdc load wiring in the trailer.
wackyburggeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 01:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
in my 2019 E19 trailer with the Zamp port I needed to add an adaptor to reverse the polarity for my Renogy portable panels
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 01:14 PM   #6

This is what I use. Bought from Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/NEWZINIU-Conne...s%2C131&sr=8-2
Old 09-26-2022, 01:28 PM   #7

I found that there was a fair bit of stress on the portable solar wires going into the zamp port of the trailer, and as a result the polarity adaptor would bend. It still worked but I didn't like the bending so I got this to support the wiring. Just use a tiny bungy cord to attach to this gizmo and it works like a charm

https://www.amazon.ca/FASPLORE-Fishi...2C193&sr=8-140
Old 09-26-2022, 02:01 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
This is what Escape sent me-

Thanks for reaching out to Escape After Sales with questions regarding a portable solar panel, there are no specific panels that need to be used with the current solar set up. Most portable panels will connect in a similar fashion to the Zamp port, note that the Zamp port has been wired as per industry standard, red to positive and black to negative. Some solar companies reverse this set up, make sure you test the power are the connection coming from the solar panel to make sure the positive sides match up. See Photo showing positive side.
Attached Thumbnails
E20108D2-6829-4885-A31A-581DA1DBE166.jpg  
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 02:51 PM   #9

My thinking is that the SAE port is in parallel with the rooftop panel. Is that correct? From there it goes to the input of the controller.
Old 09-26-2022, 03:22 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
My thinking is that the SAE port is in parallel with the rooftop panel. Is that correct? From there it goes to the input of the controller.
Unless you haver asked otherwise, that is the way Escape wires it. Again, I would check polarity with a meter before connecting an outboard panel.
Old 09-26-2022, 03:36 PM   #11

I got one of those kits from Harbor Freight that has an SAE LED tester with it and I had to put an SAE polarity swapper on it to get the test light on. Also, not necessarily on topic, but when we picked up "Strider" in KC, it had a half a tank of fresh Canadian water in it. Is there a market for Canadian water?
Old 09-26-2022, 03:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post

Thanks for reaching out to Escape After Sales with questions regarding a portable solar panel, there are no specific panels that need to be used with the current solar set up. Most portable panels will connect in a similar fashion to the Zamp port, note that the Zamp port has been wired as per industry standard, red to positive and black to negative. Some solar companies reverse this set up, make sure you test the power are the connection coming from the solar panel to make sure the positive sides match up. See Photo showing positive side.
Mine tests the opposite. The upper/male/pin is pos.
Old 09-26-2022, 06:46 PM   #13

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Mine tests the opposite. The upper/male/pin is pos.
I haven’t played with mine yet, been busy dealing with a cell phone booster hookup, work in progress. The coaxial wire Escape installs is completely useless for a cell booster, along with the outside connection.

Maybe look at the inside wires just before they go outside, then go back from there to be sure what’s what…
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:40 AM   #14

Trailer: 2018 21C
Our 2018 21C is wired as shown in the picture sent by Escape. Had to use the polarity reversing adapter purchased from Amazon to use our Renogy suitcase.
JimB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 09:15 AM   #15

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post

Renogy panels are not wired according to the industry standard? What about the identical ports sold that is wired to SAE standards? Is SAE or Zamp the standard?

AFAIK, Zamp panels are the only ones I know that reverse the wires. But in reality make sure you have the correct polarity to match the port installed to your camper.

We have a 100 Watt Renogy portable, a Zamp port at the camper, and three Zamp 10’ cables. After buying and installing our Zamp port I found out there is an identical port wired according to SAE standards, so no need to worry about reversing wires or needing a reverser on the cables

Zamp explained to me they use their method so the exposed plug on the cables is negative. They don’t want a positive plug to accidentally touch the camper frame and possibly ruin something. Really?

What will happen if you forget to include the reverser when hooking up?

I didn’t want to need to worry about reversing the connections so I wrapped red electricians tape on the black Zamp wire and black tape on the red wire, and then accordingly wired to the Victron 100/20 controller located in our camper. I don’t have to constantly remember to make sure the reverser is installed.

As with any install, make sure your polarity is correct at every connection before hooking to the battery.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 09:18 AM   #16

If the port is in parallel with the roof mounted panel, shouldn't I be reading something higher that batt voltage? Even in the dark, I'm reading over 13vdc across the port terminals. It's almost as if the port is reading battery voltage, not panel output.
Old 09-27-2022, 09:36 AM   #17

Quote:
If the port is in parallel with the roof mounted panel, shouldn't I be reading something higher that batt voltage? Even in the dark, I'm reading over 13vdc across the port terminals. It's almost as if the port is reading battery voltage, not panel output.
Depends which side of the port your controller sits. If it sits on the panel your port will read the battery voltage. If it sits inside your camper it will read what the panel is yielding.

The higher the voltage the less line loss. A controller on the panel will never yield as much power as one inside your camper. That’s why, for the highest yield, you want your controller as close to the battery as possible. Our controller is about one foot from the battery.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 09-27-2022, 09:49 AM   #18

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Mine came wired Zamp. I prefer also to have the hot side in the protected side. I have an extension cable with a reverse permanently attached. I have one GoPower 190 on the roof and a 200 Renology folding portable. I decided it was not worth my time to reverse wires when it literally took less than 30 seconds to permanently attach the polarity reverse.

I’ve never understood why this is such a big deal in forum conversations as long as you make sure your wiring is correct. It’s a simple fix for DIY or RV tech no matter how you choose to do it. I figured I’d make my own extension, but time got short, so I just bought a cable and reverser for not much more than I could have made one anyway.
Old 09-27-2022, 10:05 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
I’ve never understood why this is such a big deal in forum conversations as long as you make sure your wiring is correct.
You ass u me.

A year or so ago a member here decided to install his Zamp port not knowing it was reversed and without a multimeter. He fried two of three Renogy panels. After two fried panels he contacted me and I told him the first thing to do was buy a multimeter. He then correctly wired his Zamp port, after verifying his polarity, and the third panel worked as intended. Of course that was only after “you make sure your wiring is correct.” He was lucky, Renogy replaced both panels under warranty.

There is a learinng curve for everyone. That’s the reason for this forum.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 09-27-2022, 10:17 AM   #20

Pulled up the cushions to get a look at the wiring. Zamp port goes to the buss to the left of the MPPT. Buss goes to the Batt terminals on the MPPT. PV terminals are the solar panel leads, correct? Nothing is connected to the "Load" terminals of the MPPT.
Attached Thumbnails
MPPT.jpg