2014 Camping Trip ideas - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2014, 10:39 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
2014 Camping Trip ideas

Hi all. I am in the beginning stages of planning this summers camping trip. We're meeting my cousin in California to begin our adventure. We're from Washington and they're from Arizona. Our west coast adventure will begin with a trip to the Hurst Castle in San Simeon and then to the Winchester House in San Jose. We then plan on traveling up the coast, without ignoring some inland destinations, to Washington. We may even want to visit SW Canada and go east as far as the Okanogan. Our trip last year, in our Casita, was to Yellowstone, Custer State park, Mt. Rushmore, and many places in-between. We're hoping to top that trip with one on the west coast. I have the new 21 while my cousin still has their small 5th wheel. I am hoping for suggestions covering where to stay and what to see and do. Please help, I'll even give credit where credit is due!!

Thanks Tom
Attached Thumbnails
SAM_4287.jpg  
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:53 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
One of my favorites is the Badlands NP in SD, try to go there when there is a full moon, it is awesome.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 19 (& previously 2014 19)
Here is a trip we planned for 2007. It may or may not be what you are looking for (lots of hikes and state parks).

Yosemite National Park – hikes, rock climbing class for daughter, scenic drive, waterfalls
camp at North Pines in Yosemite Valley and Wawona
Kings Canyon – hikes, big trees
Sequoia National Park – hikes, big trees, wild cave tour
camp at Hume Lake and Dorst in Sequoia
camp Emma Wood State Beach in Ventura
Channel Islands – boat ride, hike, tent camp on island
drive CA coast
camp Morro Bay State Park
drive CA coast
Julia Pfeiffer Burns hiking, waterfall, redwood forest, coastal views
drive CA coast
camp Half Moon Bay State Beach
San Francisco
camp Sam Taylor State Park
Muir Woods
Point Reyes
CA coast
camp Sonoma Coast State Park
Humboldt Redwoods State Park, big trees, hikes
camp Burlington Campground in Humbolt Redwoods SP
Lava Beds National Monument, caves, hikes
camp Indian Wells at Lava Beds NM
Crater Lake National Park, boat trip, hike
camp Mazama at Crater Lake
Oregon Cave
camp Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park
Stout Grove, Redwood National Park, Drury Scenic Parkway, Oregon Coast, beach
camp Harris Beach State Park Oregon
Samuel Boardman State Park, hiking
Cape Sebastian
Oregon Dunes
camp Eel Creek Campground
Heceta Head Light
Cape Kiwanda
camp Cape Lookout
Cape Meares
Tillamook Cheese, Tillamook Air Museum
camp Barton Park
Columbia Gorge, hikes, waterfalls
camp Gifford Pinchot
Mt St Helens, Ape Cave, hike
camp Seaquest State Park
camp Seaquest State Park
Olympic peninsula, Lake Quinault, Queets, coast, hikes
camp Kalaloch
Hoh Rainforest, coast
camp Heart o the Hills
Hurricane Ridge
ferry to Whidbey Island, kayak, orcas
camp Deception Pass
North Cascades, hikes
camp Newhalem
Seattle, underground tour, Columbia or Smith Tower, Starbucks, Boeing Factory
Mt Rainier, hike
camp Cougar Rock
RooBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:52 PM   #4

2014 adventure

WOW RooBarb, you had quite a trip. That's exactly what I was hoping for. How long did that take? My cousin and I recently retired so we have plenty of time, but my wife can't stand to be away from her grandchildren toooooo long. And cpaharley2008, we visited the Badlands during our trip last year, and you'r right, that is an awesome sight. Wish we could have seen it during a full moon.
Thank you both
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
20130801_103031.jpg   20130801_140056.jpg  
Old 01-27-2014, 05:08 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 19 (& previously 2014 19)
Well, yes, it was quite a trip (!), but not the exact trip of the itinerary. We drove from MA to CA, saw some of the sites, and then the motorhome died.

The original plan was to do the trip in 5 weeks, 5 days including driving across the US. The part from Yosemite to Mt Rainier would have been 4 weeks, 3 days on my itinerary. Looking forward to actually seeing the PNW when we pick up our Escape. Planning my trip right now. :-)
RooBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Lots of good stuff in RooBarb's post. If you like waterfalls, I'd like to add a visit to Burney Falls in northern California. Expensive dry camping, but a pretty waterfall. I also enjoyed staying at the Susan Creek BLM campground on OR 138. Again dry camping, but hot showers. Lots of waterfalls in the area - I have a page of photos of some of them at one of the pages of my 2012 trip to the area.

In Washington I'd drive up the east side of Mount St Helens, and take the ferry to the San Juan Islands (they have camping, but the trailers on the ferry add a bit to the cost). If you want to camp on the mainland, Washington Park in Anacortes is a good location for a trip to the islands.

If you haven't seen the Cascades, WA 20 is a beautiful drive.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:16 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Me thinks that a lot of these waterfalls and pretty vistas maybe limited due to the west drought that is in process.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:09 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Actually, Burney Falls is mostly spring-fed and remains fairly constant throughout the year, even when we've had dry summer months. Many of the streams around the Lassen area are similar. How long some of those underground aquifers remain strong in a protracted drought might be debatable, however.

As a a postscript, Burney Falls is not pet friendly. You can't take pup on any of the trails.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:44 AM   #9

These are all great ideas. RooBarb, sorry to hear that your trip didn't turn out as planned, hopefully you still enjoyed yourself. If you're heading south on I5 after picking up your 19 and need a little break from driving, we live halfway between Seattle and Tacoma about 2 miles off I5 with easy access.
Vermilye, Thank you for your input. I've enjoyed viewing your travel pictures in the past and will certainly spend more time on your site. I'm a guy, so visual aids is a good thing. Thanks to everyone for your input. We're in the beginning stages right now, but with how campgrounds fill up, we better get after it.

The first two pictures are from the Mt. Rushmore area, both above and below ground, and the building we found in a ghost town in Montana. The building is a bar that was owned by a guy named Fraser at one point. I tried to claim it until they asked for back taxes.
Thanks again, Tom
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02371.jpg   20130805_130424.jpg   SAM_3867.jpg  
Old 01-28-2014, 10:48 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
We live near Hearst Castle; recommend the Upstairs Suites tour. There is a little campground in Montana de Oro State Park near Morro Bay that is a gem. Not a parking lot like many others nearby. The park is 17 square miles and has great hiking that ranges from easy bluff trail to uphill Valencia Peak.

We bought our 17B in Bend last fall and loved the Sisters area, and specifically Camp Sherman and the Metrolius River.

Cave Junction campground reminds me of Pfeiffer State Park in Big Sur with the river, but far less crowded. Also there is a great swimming hole on the Illinois River across the road. Great Mexican....the one with the margarita glass on the sign.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:47 PM   #11

Thank you Rossue, it's always good to hear from a local. The campground and the recommended tour are great suggestions.