7 week trip - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2020, 03:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
7 week trip

Just got back home from a 7 week vacation. It was good and bad. The bad: fires and closures. @ Mesa Verde unable to tour the main ruin. And other parts were closed. Crater Lake NP, first day clear and the last day leaving we could not see the cinder cone in the lake. They put me a site where I had a tree on the left side of my trailer 11 inches away and the right side a tree 15 inches away. I am not sure how I wiggled in that spot. Good help from my son, I guess. Leaving the park, half up the west side, going north to go to Mayhill WA, they closed the exit. Turned around and the south exit to Hwy 97 closed. Wiggled around back roads (I really did not know where I was going for no cell service to look at google maps) and finally got to Klamath Falls. Then was able to head north. Noticed at a Forest service campground on Hwy 97, a RV had been burned to where only a skeleton was left. While I was at Crater Lake, a guy came up and asked me if I thought having a campfire was OK. No! Arriving @ North Cascades NP all the employees had been ordered to leave. Very few campers. Good thing was it was free for 4 nights. No one there to take my money. Bad thing no sun to use my solar panel. The good: Headed east to Yellowstone. Snowed the day we were leaving. For me to see snow is like being a little kid again. Austin very rarely gets snow. Devils tower was great. Spotted a couple of climbers. Next was Badlands NP. That was great. A beautiful place. Then on to Custer. Did Mt Rushmore, the Mammoth Site and Crazy Horse Memorial. Rocky Mtn NP was beautiful. Got pretty close (30 yards), by accident to some elk who were hiding beneath some trees. Last stop was Palo Duro SP. Worth seeing and staying at.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0102a.jpg   DSC_0501a.jpg  
James Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:38 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The Badlands NP is one of my favorite places........reminds me of lunar landscaping.....
Old 10-18-2020, 03:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The Badlands NP is one of my favorite places........reminds me of lunar landscaping.....

It is indeed interesting; plus, you gain a lifetime quantity of info on prairie dog towns!!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 04:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Experiemce

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
It is indeed interesting; plus, you gain a lifetime quantity of info on prairie dog towns!!
If you go to the badlands and want a boondocking experience with nearby convenience Try this. As you leave the park on the west side and go out of the gate you will see the sign Buffalo Gap National Grassland and a tall radio tower out in the field to the East. Turn in on that little two track road towards the tower. Drive to the edge of the “wall”. The areas north and south along the wall are free dispersed camping. You will have had to put on water and dumped in the park by the campground on the east end of the park. Set up about 10 feet off of the edge. Have your evening meal, drink a little if you are so inclined. The sun will set behind you. As the crepuscular hour waxes, howl like you think you’re a big dominant coyote. The entire canyon will come alive with answering competition howls. Play Patsy Montana doing “I want to be a cowboys sweetheart”. If you love the west like we do, you will not forget that experience.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-18-2020, 06:05 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Spent some time west of the NP at the crossroads where Scenic.SD is located. A gas station and liquor store right on the edge of the reservation. Several abandoned buildings also still standing, including the jail house......most of the customers were from the reservation and I could listen to their tall tales for hours......