Alaska bound next summer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2021, 12:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Alaska bound next summer

What extra stuff should i bring for repairs etc. Extra tire for truck and trailer? parts? going to scale back on cooking stuff tables etc. so i can add some repair safety stuff....5.0 trailer and F150 truck are 2017s.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 12:59 PM   #2

do you bring your generator? i never use it normally solar and propane seem enough.
Old 08-02-2021, 03:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
I live in Anchorage but have made trips into Canada/Lower 48. I keep the same tools/parts for those longs trips as I do for short weekend ones. I think a good tire repair kit and compressor plus the normal trailer and TV spare are enough, I wouldn't carry additional spares assuming your tires are in good shape to begin the trip.

If you have a smaller fuel tank you may think about a 5 gallon gas can as gas stations can be far apart and closed once you get there. I suggest not planning a must have fuel stop around a remote station if possible, although you can also call and check in with them ahead of time.

We usually didn't stay more than a couple days at the same place so never had any need for a generator most times as driving kept the batteries charged.

RV repair facilities are sparse even in Anchorage and usually booked solid in the summer months so be ready to make your own repairs. Vehicle repair/parts facilities are sparse away from the larger cities, so check up on your insurance for what roadside coverage you have as towing can be $$.

We have a cell plan that includes Canada coverage without additional charges which I also recommend but you will find little cell coverage aside from the larger communities once you get north of Fort Nelson.

You will definitely want to have the milepost magazine with you for the trip, very helpful.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 03:57 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
We still carry a small inverter generator and a one gallon gas container, and have used it three times in the last seven years. 1). To top off the batteries in Skagway after a week of rain with no sun. 2). To run a small ceramic heater when the sail switch failed on the Dalton Highway. 3). Help the batteries keep up when running the tank heaters on a late fall trip on the Denali Hwy. It can also be used to power a battery charger for the tow vehicle if you need a jump or run a air compressor for the tires. Wouldn’t run the ALCAN or Cassiar without it, extra piece of mind.

We also carry a small inexpensive home tool kit that you can find on Amazon or Lowe’s. And a good tire plug kit and the knowledge on how to use it. Have fun! We’ve done the drive five times now and still get excited.

I like bikes!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:03 AM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Casita
Spent four months on a Journey to and from Alaska in 2018. Took nothing more than we do when traveling in the lower states. We traveled the state with the exception of the Haul road. Roads were fine when coupled with common sense. Go, enjoy, fillup with gas and potable water when available, and don't sweat the small stuff. We do always travel with a Honda 2000.
jerryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 02:56 PM   #6

all good advice thank you! we are two ladies traveling and pretty good at simple repairs. i have a lot of tools and Michaela is pretty good at fixing things but auto repairs are beyond our knowledge level....We can change a tire but never used patches tire plug? will need to look into that