Alaska Roadtrip Recommendations - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2021, 11:26 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 17B
Alaska Roadtrip Recommendations

When the borders open to travel we are planning a trip to the Arctic Ocean from California (via Canada & Alaska). Can you provide us your recommendations or experience while towing your Escape trailer through these northerly parts?

Ideally interested in, tow vehicle, Escape trailer type, spare/emergency items carried, extra fuel, and your overall experience.

Thanks!
gdmrce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 01:38 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Take me with you.............
Old 07-17-2021, 07:14 PM   #3
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Towing an Escape on Alaska's Dalton Highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdmrce View Post
When the borders open to travel we are planning a trip to the Arctic Ocean from California (via Canada & Alaska). Can you provide us your recommendations or experience while towing your Escape trailer through these northerly parts?

Ideally interested in, tow vehicle, Escape trailer type, spare/emergency items carried, extra fuel, and your overall experience.

Thanks!
We too are interested to see if anyone has braved the Alaskan Dalton Highway with their Escape. Alaska is certainly on our bucket list, and my dear hubby thinks having a picture with our Escape trailer at the Arctic Circle would be very cool. However, after doing some research and finding articles like this https://www.dangerousroads.org/north...ghway-usa.html - highly doubt we'll go north of Fairbanks... However, we are very interested to hear from those that may have (or any other Alaskan advice in general.) TIA -Bea. PS gdmrce, wishing you a safe and fun Alaskan trip soon!
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 07:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
We did the Dalton in 2015 with our Nash 5th wheel. We carried 2 spares for the truck and 2 for the Nash. We only had one flat and that was on the 5th wheel about 20 miles out of Fairbanks. Bring lots of insect repellent and a bug suit. The mosquitoes were epic at Galbraith Lake. A good place to boondock along the river just before Deadhorse. We went with another couple who had a 32 ft. Montana 5th wheel. Lots of truck traffic that we always tried to give plenty of room by slowing down and pulling over. They seemed to appreciate it and word got out as we went along they slowed for us when they passed instead of blowing by sending dust and rocks flying. We plan to do it again when we get our 21c.
edlynnrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 09:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Have done it with a pickup camper, not a trailer, but would if that’s what I had at the time.
Old 07-17-2021, 09:42 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 17A
Some years back, we towed our little Cardinal (pre-Escape) up the Alaska Highway as far as Dawson City in Yukon. We went up through BC. There were some pretty rough roads south of Watson Lake (broken up chip seal). I have heard that the road to Inuvik is not too bad, and that there is now an all-season road to Tuktoyatuk, on the mouth of the Mackenzie River. Some mighty pretty country up there. Plan your gas stops!
noblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 10:15 PM   #7

Trailer: 2022 Lynne's Escape19 TV GMC 1500 4x4 Diesel/
Exclamation Supplies

If you're thinking about bringing a firearm with you. You will go through a large amount of hoops to transit Canada with a firearm. The Canadian government has a website and they will lay it all out for you. My recommendation if you're not going hunting in Alaska don't bring firearms through Canada.
Craiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 10:41 AM   #8

Thanks all for your responses to date.
We are not considering Prudhoe Bay, but instead Tuktoyaktuk. Although the Dalton Hwy is beautiful the final end point is not (based on You Tube). Whereas the Dempster Hwy probably traverses similar landscape at the Dalton Hwy, the end point is far more inviting.
By the way, we had no intention of bringing guns through Canada (or Alaska for that matter), just Bear spray.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:24 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
My only advice would be to make a big “loop”. Up the Cassiar to Tuk, over to Alaska on the Top of the world Highway and hit Banf on the way home. Most of the campgrounds are 3 - 4 hours apart driving time. If your off the road by 3:00 you will always find a spot. (With the exception of Denali and the Kenai during salmon season).

I just like the vibe better heading north up the Cassiar, than the ALCAN. Once you get north of Kitwanga the adventure begins for me.

I like bikes!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 06:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK snowbiker View Post
My only advice would be to make a big “loop”. Up the Cassiar to Tuk, over to Alaska on the Top of the world Highway and hit Banf on the way home. Most of the campgrounds are 3 - 4 hours apart driving time. If your off the road by 3:00 you will always find a spot. (With the exception of Denali and the Kenai during salmon season).

I just like the vibe better heading north up the Cassiar, than the ALCAN. Once you get north of Kitwanga the adventure begins for me.

I like bikes!
Excellent information! Thank you
Old 07-19-2021, 08:34 PM   #11

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
The Dempster is on our bucket list. Please post a trip report when you go.
edlynnrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 01:38 AM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Take me with you.............
This is the best I can do. A really good series of about 32 videos IIRC.

Old 07-20-2021, 09:52 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013
Some quick tips traveling in the north. Alaska highway to Whitehorse is good. The Klondike highway Whitehorse to Dawson City, some construction also when you see a bump sign it usually means bump on the road. The Dempster Highway to Tuk is gravel all the way. Fuel is a concern as on it the next fuel is at Eagle Plain, food, RV camping etc. You are close to the Artic Circle pull out. Currently the Yukon/NWT Border is closed.
The Dempster is dusty and if it rains it becomes slick so this is not the road to speed on. Limited to zero cell service. Lots of transport traffic, by northern traffic standards.
Great campground at Tombstone Territorial park about an 1.5 hours up the road. Has an info center etc.
If you do go next fuel is at Ft Macpherson NWT. When you come back there is a car wash in Dawson City. Last tip, don't complain about the cost of fuel, there really is no second choice.
Just for info we live in Whitehorse Yukon and frequent travel in the Territory
aekholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 10:32 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21; previously a 2012 Escape 19
What time of year is best for this trip?
Old 07-20-2021, 01:36 PM   #15
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
This is the best I can do. A really good series of about 32 videos IIRC]......
Thanks for this YouTube series! Looking forward to it! Here's the best we can do.

And a big thank you for all the great Alaskan advice from our Escape community! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 01:47 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
For what it is worth, here is a link to our 2015 trip. An Escape 17B towed by a RAV4 & a Scamp 16 towed by a Sienna.
Old 07-20-2021, 01:57 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013
June July is the better time, you have the long daylight. On the Dempster you have just about 24 hr daylight and long twilight. August it starts to get cooler a little tourist traffic. By the end of August lot of the commercial tourist spots start shutting down.
aekholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 02:12 PM   #18

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdr2 View Post
What time of year is best for this trip?
This is another good video on Alaska. When to go.

https://youtu.be/vw4unbfJhYo
Doug2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 02:35 PM   #19

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
cool i am thinking about going next summer !!!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote