anyone use a GPS ? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2019, 05:36 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
At least at Magellan, "lifetime" with regard to updates means whatever is convenient to them, which is as little as three years. They use map size as an excuse, but the planet isn't getting any larger and they could trim their data to whatever level of detail fits - instead, they just stop providing updates.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:48 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I had to buy a new TomTom a few years ago because map updates were too large for the device memory. I'd only had the new one for a year or two and I got a message during an update that not everything would be updated. It gave me a link to a site to obtain a discount on a new device. The link didn't work for me ( maybe a US link ), so I just gave up on updating.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:31 AM   #23

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
We have a garmin 3597 that we take everywhere when traveling outside of AK. A smartphone would be more than adequate also but I still prefer a dedicated GPS unit. We travel in remote locations frequently where no cell service exists but there are usually few roads to get lost on in those areas

Really personal preference these days except for those without a smart phone.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:24 AM   #24

Trailer: ?
There are dozens of useful, free POI files that can be downloaded to your Garmin, and other brands I suppose, GPS unit.

POI Files for United States & Elsewhere | POI Factory

I find the one with all the rest area’s very helpful. Plus truck stops, Pilot/Flying J, WalMart, and a few others.

Now these free files are maintained by volunteers. If nothing less then perfection will suit you, don’t bother looking.

You can search these POI files by the route you have programmed into the Garmin unit. Nice when you’re looking for the next rest area, truck stop, etc. that is along your route. The Garmin unit gives the distance to the POI you have found.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:51 AM   #25

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
We have kept older Garmins updated by cleaning out memory. All the foreign language help and directions files were deleted. All the car symbols, gone. We used to get warnings that the 1490 could only load the West coast of the US. By eliminating unneeded files we have the full north america mapset on this old unit. The 2797 has had the same treatment and it has loads of room. We have a GPS in every vehicle and made one mistake, bought a US only GPS as it was the large size, did not pay enough attention to look for North America as the mapset.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post
We have kept older Garmins updated by cleaning out memory.
Well done, but that does not appear to be an option with Magellan: the updater doesn't say there isn't enough space on my device, it says that there is no update for my model. Their help line staff say that it is a space issue.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:27 PM   #27

I bought a Magellan ( on sale ) to replace the first TomTom. Couldn't download maps or anything else with my Macbook Air. I gave up and returned it and got a second TomTom. If I do need a birthday present, I'll ask for a Garmin, I think.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:32 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I bought a Magellan ( on sale ) to replace the first TomTom. Couldn't download maps or anything else with my Macbook Air. I gave up and returned it and got a second TomTom. If I do need a birthday present, I'll ask for a Garmin, I think.
Garmin’s good Glenn . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:44 AM   #29

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I have a Garmin 860t, there top of the line hand held unit. I have had a number of Garmin and Magellan units over the years.

I need this for whitewater and wilderness excursions. There is no cell signal so these are the only choice. As a landscape architect, they are second nature to me.

I find Garmin's technology to be a few steps behind phone mapping services. There is no voice interface. The search function is crippled by a very slow processor. Something Garmin is known for in their hand held units. In addition they cripple the units by limiting the number of vectors that can be kept in memory. So you have to keep switching cards when you travel across certain state lines (like Colorado to Wyoming).

Also the navigation in the hand helds when used in cars, does not seem to be a good as phone handsets.

I use it because I have it but if I can use a phone, I do that. So much easier. I am glad I have it but not for cars. They really are not meant for cars but I use it all the time.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 04:55 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
We have two Magellans, one in each vehicle, lifetime maps and the model with the backup camera.
Had to phone Magellan once when I tried to do the first update to get the port mann bridge and they figured it out real quick and the update on both units was fine after that. Something about I had two accounts, blah, blah. But they fixed it quickly.
Our Toyota is a 2010 and the Magellan maps are way newer than the cars.
Maybe next summer I'll try moving the camera to the back of the trailer that might be fun.
I also have the original Etrex yellow jobbie for when there is no roads.
I can't justify buying anything better for any of them, so they will have to die before I try a Garmin.
And I agree that the cell phone running Waze is pretty darn good in the city.
I think if I had a big rig truck or motorhome I would depend on a gps more, as I think they must tell you more about where you can fit.
Old 12-17-2019, 12:03 AM   #31

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
I use a Garmin GPS device (lifetime maps) since cell service for the phone is not always available. Not sure what happened when we went to Canada but Cell Service and GPS didn't work so we had to navigate by the seat of our pants!
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 12:32 AM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
GPS should work anywhere in the world, as long as you have a reasonably clear view of the sky. But, GPS just gives you a precise latitude/longitude coordinate, the mapping functionality is another thing.

maybe your GPS had no maps for Canada? they are often extra cost, and/or take extra memory.

re: lack of cell service, I'll plot my days route when I have wifi, and tell my cellphone to save the route for offline use (it will ask if it looks like my route goes into sketchy areas), also google maps has an 'offline' feature where you can download maps covering large areas for offline use. Having used Garmin standalone GPS's for many years, I find Google Maps on my phone far superior.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:32 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post
Our Toyota is a 2010 and the Magellan maps are way newer than the cars.

Just tell your Toyota service manager to update your maps. I believe my buddy was quoted $500 for western Canada and US and another $500 for eastern Canada and US.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:39 PM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Just tell your Toyota service manager to update your maps. I believe my buddy was quoted $500 for western Canada and US and another $500 for eastern Canada and US.
Yeah, cuz as we all know, pushing software they already have is extremely expensive for them....
Old 12-17-2019, 05:00 PM   #35

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Why we stick with portable and can move from vehicles to other vehicles . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 05:28 PM   #36

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Side question, does anyone use a vent mount for their phones? Do they work or do they wreck the vents?
Old 12-17-2019, 05:33 PM   #37
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Side question, does anyone use a vent mount for their phones? Do they work or do they wreck the vents?
I don't care for them because I have a rather largish phone (Galaxy Note) and it winds up blocking some of the air. I much prefer the surface mounted ones with the adjustable arm and the spring clamp that squeezes the phone from the sides. Mine is called an "iOttie Easy Touch". Easy in, easy out.
Old 12-17-2019, 05:50 PM   #38

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yeah, cuz as we all know, pushing software they already have is extremely expensive for them....
While this is frustrating, I understand the logic. Someone has to pay for it, and dividing the cost (or required income) among those who receive the functionality makes more sense than spreading it among everyone who gets a vehicle, whether they have that functionality enabled or not.

My van doesn't have traction control, because it was optional 16 years ago (it is standard equipment on all new vehicles now), and came with the next trim level up. All of the hardware is in the van (because it has ABS and throttle-by-wire) and the software obviously exists, but it just isn't enabled at my trim level. It is a feature which was reserved for higher trim levels, to encourage people to pay the extra $5,000 per level.

After all, if pushing out something which has already been created should be nearly free, then movies should cost a buck or two, CDs should never have been more than a dollar, and all streamed content should be free. Not to mention the tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars per installation for what should be free software running corporate functions (payroll, inventory, whatever...). Someone will just magically pay to create the content, if those receiving it don't pay, right?

Toyota's map content is obviously overpriced, so many owners choose to not buy it; for many years they have been using separate devices, and now they run navigation apps on their phones and display them on the vehicle's screens with Android Auto or Apple CarPlay.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:04 PM   #39

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I don't care for them because I have a rather largish phone (Galaxy Note) and it winds up blocking some of the air. I much prefer the surface mounted ones with the adjustable arm and the spring clamp that squeezes the phone from the sides. Mine is called an "iOttie Easy Touch". Easy in, easy out.
Thanks, this will work.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:23 PM   #40

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
I'm a little late for the bulk of this conversation, but I didn't see anyone mention https://maps.me/

It's a phone app, so no additional costs or hardware. It's free. It's worldwide. You download the maps for regions and they work disconnected after that. It has directions and voice navigation, in addition to just "maps". The voice directions are not quite as good as Google's.

Not sure how well it compares to offline google maps. I download all of North America, so I always have a map. This has been very helpful in a number of places when I notice that I don't have any cell service, which is pretty common camping since I live in Washington state with all it's mountains.

Paul
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote