AZ, where to stay in Jan/Feb - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2015, 02:06 PM   #1

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
AZ, where to stay in Jan/Feb

One of the main reasons we bought the Escape was to spend the next few years traveling the south in the winter looking for eventual spots to move to or at least do seasonal condo rentals or some such.

Spending this winter in and around FL and heading to AZ in 2017 for a couple months. Could use some suggestions for areas to check out and public campground to stay in. We're not into commercial RV parks, especially the mega ones I see advertised on the internet for snowbirds. Figuring I have to make reservations a year out as the areas are pretty popular and it's almost time to to do so.

If anyone is familiar enough to suggest areas worth checking out or different places to stay I'd appreciate it. So far I'm thinking Catalina, Lost Dutchman, and Picacho Peak SP's as well as Gilbert Ray outside Tucson and Usery Mt outside Phoenix. Is it worth trying to find something around Yuma for a week?
Old 12-19-2015, 03:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
You will like Gilbert Ray, Catalina and Lost Dutchman. Depending on where you are going, we also liked Organ Pipe National Monument, Dead Horse Ranch State Park, and Lee's Ferry Campground on the Colorado River. Of these, Organ Pipe would be my favorite. I would like to go back there and spend a couple of more days.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Bob I hope to check out a few places in AZ early next year. I can hardly wait to get away. We had a big storm this week and have been clearing snow every day. I just finished cleaning about 8 inches off the trailer. Plus I cleared down to the gravel where the truck tires will be when I hook up and covered it so I can get the trailer moving next month (only have 2wd). Now I wish I had spent the money and left it in October near our daughter's place in KS, in the limestone caves where Loren has his parked!

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
It's become a winter tradition for us to spend a couple weeks in AZ in Jan/Feb. We're heading out there Jan 27 for a few weeks.

We like Cattail Cove SP on the Colorado River. Also trying Buckskin SP and Cave Creek County Park this year. Ending with 4 or 5 nights in Quartzsite at the fiberglass rally. There's another Escape group that does to the RV show in Quartzsite in Jan. Never camped with them but I'm sure you'd be welcome.

Some like Aqua Caliente and Lake Cahuilla County Parks, in Cal, also Lost Dutchman and Catalina Mtn SP. Death Valley is nice too. Plenty to choose from but your fellow snowbirds fill them up fast so reserve early!

Greg
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
McDowell Mountain Regional Park

If you want to stay in the Phoenix area, McDowell Mountain Regional Park, northeast of Phoenix, is great. Widely spaced campsites on high ground afforded a 360ᵒ view of the surrounding mountains. There are numerous multiuse trails of varying lengths and difficulty. We recommend booking early. Check out their website: Parks & Recreation - Maricopa County
McDowell is NW of Phoenix. There are other Maricopa County parks, which might also be good, but we've not stayed at others.
We also enjoyed Patagonia Lake State Park in SE AZ.
D&R_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:03 PM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
I think we'll head back to the Chiracahuas. Ya, spend some time in the National Monument on the west side, but we really like the east side. Likely head for Sunny Flat CG. Flush toilets, no showers.

While in that corner of the state, try the Dragoons. There's the Cochise Stronghold CG on the east side. Primitive.

Then there is Roosevelt Lake. Several large CG along the west side. They are quite inexpensive and have showers. They may be very busy in Jan/Feb. We've been there in March/April and they start closing CG loops. Easter was busy though.

We usually stop in Bullhead City at the Davis Camp county park. Nice park on the Colorado River. And don't forget Valley of Fire SP, but that's in Nevada.

Haven't stayed at Gilbert Ray, Catalina and Lost Dutchman which Leon mentioned. Would suggest the CGs going up Mt Lemon though. I agree that Organ Pipe is the most interesting of the others he mentions.

We weren't impressed with the Yuma area, but didn't spend much time there. Visited some friends that were staying in a very very up scale "RV" park, fancy. But for us we'll stay away from there and the Quartzsite area.

Just a few of the many many great CG in Arizona. None too crowded in March/April. In Jan/Feb I don't know.

I'm picking up some good ideas from this thread. Thanks.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:33 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
A nice campsite we found by accident is approx. 100 miles west of Yuma called Painted Rock Petroglyph Site N. of Hwy.10 not far from Gila. Wide open spaces not busy and inexpensive. Then there are the BLM (Bureau of Land Management) sites in California and Arizona. Check on-line where to find them.
Driving past Lost Dutchman's park there is a winding (paved) road called Apache trail towards Tortilla Flat there are campsites just before the little town on your left. Very nice campsites with hook-up and only 6 bucks. You need to buy Tonto passes one for each night of stay. these are available at gas stations, conv. stores all over the area.incl. in the town of Tortilla Flat. Travel safe and we may see you out there somewhere in Feb. or March.
Escape 19 towing with charlcoal Audi Q5. BC plates.
hermenator01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:44 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Anyone crossing over the border into Mexico? Never see much here about that.

Those near the border please comment. I may be wantin' a travel down Baja.

Lots of bad press sometimes but is it real or media hype? After all Los Angeles is not very safe either.

Tom
Old 12-20-2015, 06:31 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Of the previous suggestions we have been to, all are good or better.

Add:
Burro Creek - BLM - on US93 between Wickenburg and Wickieup.
Lake Pleasant - Maricopa County - NW of Phoenix.

Outside of metro areas will often be quite dusty/windy. And temperatures depend a lot on altitude, microclimates and El Nino/a.

I assume you know that most Federal/State/County parks have length of stay limits.

AZ/CA in the Yuma/Quartzsite/Blythe (Colorado River) area have longer stay allowed areas on BLM land. We find a few days is long enough for us - but we live near Phoenix.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:07 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I've stayed a month at La Paz County Park near Parker, AZ (and Buckskin State Park). The county park does not take reservations, and can be difficult to get into. On the Colorado River, Electric & water, daily, weekly & monthly rates. A bar that does daily lunch & dinner specials next door. Parker has a Safeway & Walmart plus the usual small town stores & services, as well as a small hospital.

Not all of the AZ state parks allow more than 14 day stays - the last time I checked, only Cattail Cove & Alamo Lake had longer stays (minimum 4 weeks, max 12 weeks), with little or no discount from daily prices. I've stayed at Buckskin, Cattail Cove, Catalina & Lost Dutchman state parks and recommend any & all of them. My favorite of the 4 is Lost Dutchman.

Along with the Quartzite Dome Rock rally, I've I've also stayed at both Quartzite & Imperial Dam Long Term Visitors Area (just across the AZ border in CA). I'm in the Quartzsite LTVA now & have been here since mid November. My daily journal might have some useful information. A 2 week renewable permit for $40.00 or the season (7 months) for $180.00. You get access to bathrooms (Vault toilets at Quartzite) dump stations & fresh water.

While Quartzite is more crowded, particularly during the January "Big Tent" sale, there is a near by town with small grocery stores, restaurants, supplies, etc. Imperial Dam is in the middle of nowhere, with the nearest source of supplies a gas station (with some limited food) on the Yuma Proving grounds about 5 miles away or Yuma, 30 miles away.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:16 AM   #11

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post

Lots of bad press sometimes but is it real or media hype? After all Los Angeles is not very safe either.

Tom
In a recent issue of Trailer Life there's an article about RVing in Mexico. I can't find my issue, so I can't tell the month, but I'm sure someone else could. Anyway, holy cow, what a royal pain to do in regards to insurance, permits and I forget what else. And have some spare cash on you for paying "fines" to the police when you get pulled over. But the author did enjoy going to Mexico; you just need to get all your I's dotted and T's crossed before you head down there. It was also suggested to go in a caravan with others.

Personally, I've never had any interest in going to Mexico; both before and after this article. Oh, the author did say he thought the hype over problems (drugs, etc) was overblown, but that was his opinion.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:38 AM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
This thread is a couple of years old, but whenever I think about Michael & Debra and that lovely trailer parked in the Palapa... and I look outside here in PDX at all the gray and rain.... I wanna be in Mexico!

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...cape-3082.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:48 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I read that Trailer Life article on Mexico and you are right, reports about unexpected and hefty cash-on-the-border entrance charges for trailer/tow "permits" and other paperwork hassles, etc., etc., are a real turn-off. I was going to go this winter but now, not so likely.

Also read that gasoline prices in Mexico are much higher.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:45 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

Tom
We're heading down to Baja towards the end of Jan. Just ourselves, no caravan. I've done a reasonable amount of research and quite frankly I've traveled in countries with more potential for harm than Baja.

My biggest annoyance would be having to pay a bogus fine but there are ways to deal with that. The Baja Nomad site has a lot of current info. and people who are almost commuting there.

That being said, I've just installed a dash cam that can be swiveled 90* to document any exchanges with police officers. Might be needed in Mexico also.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:44 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
(CNN)The bodies of two men found in a burned-out van in Mexico's Sinaloa state are exactly who authorities feared they were: Australian surfers Dean Lucas and Adam Coleman.

Authorities have made three arrests but are still seeking two men in connection with the case: Julio Cesar Gonzalez Muniz and Jesus Uriel Camacho Labrada, Higuera said.

The three suspects in custody were low-level drug dealers who had been robbing motorists on a stretch of road leading south through the Sinaloan city of Navolato, Higuera said previously.

Lucas and Coleman were on a surfing trip from Canada to Mexico but failed to arrive as planned in the city of Guadalajara on November 21.

Mexico: no way, Jose. Been there (30 years ago) done that.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:52 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
(CNN)The bodies of two men found in a burned-out van in Mexico's Sinaloa state are exactly who authorities feared they were: Australian surfers Dean Lucas and Adam Coleman.

Authorities have made three arrests but are still seeking two men in connection with the case: Julio Cesar Gonzalez Muniz and Jesus Uriel Camacho Labrada, Higuera said.

The three suspects in custody were low-level drug dealers who had been robbing motorists on a stretch of road leading south through the Sinaloan city of Navolato, Higuera said previously.

Lucas and Coleman were on a surfing trip from Canada to Mexico but failed to arrive as planned in the city of Guadalajara on November 21.

Mexico: no way, Jose. Been there (30 years ago) done that.
Sure, it's easy to find negative stories about Mexico. On the other hand, they ventured into an area known to be one of the worst areas for gang violence. There's a world of difference between that part of Mexico and Baja.

I know people who have been driving down to Baja and camping every winter for years. We all have our own comfort levels and Baja is within mine.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:20 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:

Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
We're heading down to Baja towards the end of Jan. Just ourselves, no caravan. I've done a reasonable amount of research and quite frankly I've traveled in countries with more potential for harm than Baja.

My biggest annoyance would be having to pay a bogus fine but there are ways to deal with that. The Baja Nomad site has a lot of current info. and people who are almost commuting there.

That being said, I've just installed a dash cam that can be swiveled 90* to document any exchanges with police officers. Might be needed in Mexico also.

Ron
The Baja is on my list of places to travel to with my trailer. I know people who pull their huge fifth wheel down there every winter for a few months.

Looking forward to hearing about your trip, Ron.

Funny how we hear some of the bad news stories from Mexico, as they make headlines, but hear very little of similar happenings throughout Canada, or the US. Sure, there are areas best to avoid, but I certainly am not going to let the odd rare event ruin my chance at fun. I have visited Mexico about 10 times now, and have always enjoyed myself. Never been to the Baja though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:29 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'm sure, Jim, that you heard about the couple whose burned motor home was found in the Alberta bush, but their bodies have never been found.
And, the family murdered at Well's Gray Park.
I don't think you hear more of Mexico murders in Canadian media, but you will hear if a Canadian is killed in Mexico.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm sure, Jim, that you heard about the couple whose burned motor home was found in the Alberta bush, but their bodies have never been found.
And, the family murdered at Well's Gray Park.
I don't think you hear more of Mexico murders in Canadian media, but you will hear if a Canadian is killed in Mexico.
I definetly heard the Alberta story, but not sure about the Wells Gray one. I love Wells Gray Park, especially for backcountry travel, but the trailer camping is nice too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-20-2015, 05:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I definetly heard the Alberta story, but not sure about the Wells Gray one. I love Wells Gray Park, especially for backcountry travel, but the trailer camping is nice too.
Just looked it up. I guess it was in 1982.