Baja 2017, Maybe - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2017, 01:25 AM   #81

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
OK, why do we travel 2,500 miles to go to a beach? Well I consider Coyote beach one of the best destinations I've ever gone to. It checks all the boxes.

The water's warm, the climate agreeable, you can park within feet of the water, there's a couple of reasonable places to eat not too far away, you have an inexpensive source of fresh water $5/45gal.), it's inexpensive $5 a day gets you outhouses and garbage disposal and you can park parallel to the water meaning that you have at least 60' of waterfront to yourself. Also, Mulege, with everything you'd need for an extended stay, is about a 20 minute drive away and the thing I like the most about it is that it's an authentic Mexican town. Often we're the only gringos walking the streets. It's not touristy and you get treated like anyone else.

New this year are some palapas for those lucky enough to snag one. Cost is an extra $2.50 a day. Very handy place to store chairs, BBQ's and all the other toys we take with us.

We could have paid $60 and had the truck and trailer washed. They were a little mud splattered after Mex-5. You can tell we've been to the laundromat in Mulege. The laundry's hung up to dry.

It's a perfect area for kayaking or just lazing about on an air mattress. Many nearby coves and islands to explore.

Ron
Looks like you are in Paradise Ron ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:47 AM   #82

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Thanks for sharing this stuff, Ron. I am soaking it in, just as I expect to soak in the Mexican sun some day soon too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:23 AM   #83

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
"...I am soaking it in, just as I expect to soak in the Mexican sun some day soon too."

Me too, Ron. This trip stays on my bucket list. Don't have a kayak but I do have a big inner tube and that water looks perfect. Your road pix look like Quartzsite from a couple weeks ago.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:04 PM   #84

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
This is a trip I want to make someday but would like to follow someone across the border the first time or go with someone I'm a little worried about taking that trip solo
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:28 PM   #85

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Thanks for sharing this stuff, Ron. I am soaking it in, just as I expect to soak in the Mexican sun some day soon too.
Your timings probably going to be perfect to cash in on a nice new road that's shorter and more scenic than the Mex-1 route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
"...I am soaking it in, just as I expect to soak in the Mexican sun some day soon too."

Me too, Ron. This trip stays on my bucket list. Don't have a kayak but I do have a big inner tube and that water looks perfect. Your road pix look like Quartzsite from a couple weeks ago.
I'd say keep it on your bucket list but plan on going down to see the real Mexico. Just crossing and hanging around the border towns is a bit on the high stress side. We like to get as far from the border towns as possible the first day.

Good analogy to Q'site. There is a similarity to Q'site once you get off Dome Rock road. The difference is you on drive a few hundred yards, not 20 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
This is a trip I want to make someday but would like to follow someone across the border the first time or go with someone I'm a little worried about taking that trip solo
Yes, that's a good idea. It's a typical situation. The first time's a bit confusing about what you have to do and where. After that it's easy.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P2100178_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:13 PM   #86

Thanks to Greg's efforts the 10th Anniversary Quartzsite meet was a great success.

Always enjoyable to meet up with forum regulars like Greg, Myron, Jack, Jon and Doug.

This year I opted to find a location that had a tree. Didn't provide much shade but I like trees. Why does every shot of the trailer have clothes on a line. Really, we don't spend all our time doing laundry.

You can see from the look on Greg's face how seriously he takes his duties overseeing the great soup event. I got to be a soupmeister for the "everything" category. I know, I know, it does't look very good but strangely enough it was a hit and I had to make another batch.

The star attraction for me was Jon's 80 mile blueberry pie. He drove up to 40 miles up to Parker to get the blueberries. Nice touch was his artistic Joshua tree in the pastry. I was first in line for it and it was the first item to disappear. Jon has promised that next year, with a proper oven in his new 21, that he'll bake two pies.

An enjoyable event, despite the pouring rain in the middle of our soup making but it cleared up quickly. Always interesting to walk around the town and enjoy some of the unique characters.

Quartzsite was a great finish to our Baja trip.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P2080166_resize.JPG   P2110184_resize.JPG   P2110185_resize.JPG   P2110190_resize.JPG  
Old 02-25-2017, 10:57 PM   #87

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I swear I've seen that soup before.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:37 AM   #88

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
I've tasted that blueberry pie before!!
Old 02-26-2017, 06:36 AM   #89

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Pie artistry.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:13 AM   #90

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Soup's on!
Attached Thumbnails
soup.gif  
Old 02-26-2017, 07:18 AM   #91

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Jon's pies are worth the drive to a rally!! But the soup? All cans, doesn't anyone make soup from scratch anymore? Fresh vegetables and other ingredients or are they also 40 miles away?
Old 02-26-2017, 08:24 AM   #92

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Jon's pies are worth the drive to a rally!! But the soup? All cans, doesn't anyone make soup from scratch anymore? Fresh vegetables and other ingredients or are they also 40 miles away?
We used to have / make / cook a booya ( Czech soup / stew) every fall . We made 50 gallons and fed 200 people. The booya is cooked all night over an open fire and stirred with a canoe paddle. We guit doing the large booyas after we retired cause of the expense and work but have made a few for smaller groups

Ingredients
Beef Soup Bones (neck -shank)
Beef Oxtails
Beef stew meat ( sirloin or chuck)
Chicken ( Whole , pieces , breasts)
Onions
Potatoes
Carrots
Green beans
Peas
Corn
Rutabaga if desired
Celery
Tomatoes ( crushed + whole)
Cabbage
Green peppers
Other vegetables I can't remember.
Beef broth
Chicken broth
Garlic
Secret spice bag
Salt , Pepper , Hungarian paprika
Other ingredients
NO CANNED SOUP !!

Sometime Jim , If the stars align , I will dig out my kettles , fire stands , canoe paddles , aprons , hats , old Czech recipe and cook one for you.

** We were Wisconsin State Booya Champions back in the last century. May even have one of our booya T shirts or aprons left from the cookoff **
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:50 AM   #93

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That is what I'm talking about, the whole process of cutting and cooking and then adding ingredients over hours encourages camaraderie versus reheating. Steve your booya soup reminds me of the first time I experienced Frogmore Stew at a southern rally. Memorable.....
Old 02-26-2017, 12:02 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Soup's on!
Yah, never opened so many cans in my life. Next year I'm bringing an electric opener.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Oh yah, at home I get some fantastic soups but this event is focused on making batches of soup based on cans of soup people bring. However, I was thinking that next year I might consider enhancing the soup with a few other ingrediants. On the other hand, the soup was tastier than it looked and popular so why change something if it ain't broke.

Ron
Old 02-26-2017, 12:12 PM   #95

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
The soup event at Quartzsite is steeped in 10 years of tradition and no soups are ever the same. However, when the soup from scratch folks attend just let us know you want to do a pot of fresh made soup and we'll add you to the line.

We were kidding around that we brought in Ron and Michele from Vancouver BC by way of Baja specifically to design and create our mystery soup. Wow, did they knock it out of the park, that mystery pot was fantastico! AZ Jack n Nancy and Ray from CA did our chicken and beef lines and they were fantastic as well. It helped that the morning had been cold n rainy as the soup was especially good and none was left at the end.

Great job to our soup volunteers, it made for a really fun and appreciated event.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote