baja mexico - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2018, 05:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 5.0
baja mexico

I know its a year away but we want to go to Mexico (Baja) but don't want to go alone. Is anyone interested in a convoy in early 2019?
Thanks Kevin and Cheryl
kfsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Sorry; too chicken. Maybe you could get Chris Issak to go back for a Baja Sessions 2....he has a nice Prevost Rock Star Bus to clear the road
Old 02-26-2018, 06:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
We're probably going back to Baja next year, maybe after the Q'site get together. That's conditional on Mex 5 being finally paved. We hate Mex 1 and Mex 5 avoids some of the things that we don't like about Mex 1, like going through Ensenada. We've done Mex 5 both ways but the unfinished road deterred us from going down this year.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 12:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 2006 Escape 17
I was on Hwy 5 and Hwy 1 a couple of weeks ago (mid Nov) on a motorcycle (Tecate to Cabo and back). Hwy 5 from Gonzaga Bay past Coco's Corner to Hwy 1 has not changed much since I was there in 2016. The construction camp appears to be shut down although the equipment is still there. Coco said work had stopped. In addition several bridges on Hwy 5 have washed out and there are gravel detours where there used to be pavement. On the moto it was fine, but it'd be slow and bumpy, but passable towing a trailer. I did see one Escape on Hwy 1 on my way north. I did see various RVs along the way, mostly I think once they find a nice place, they stay a while.
advdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 03:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
We hope to go to Mazatlan and Puerta Vallarta in Jan, life could get in the way like it did last year, but we sure hope to go again. The roads are far better on the Mexican mainland than the Baja. We currently are in Fort Pierce, getting our sailboat ready for sale. We'll leave Mon the 26th and head back home to AZ.
Upfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by advdave View Post
Coco said work had stopped. In addition several bridges on Hwy 5 have washed out and there are gravel detours where there used to be pavement. On the moto it was fine, but it'd be slow and bumpy, but passable towing a trailer. .
I've been following the BajaBound threads on Hwy. 5 almost daily. Real heartbreaker that the new bridges etc. were washed out.

We'll decide before Q'site if we're going again in early 2019. I've even bought a "full size" air compressor in anticipation of airing the tires up and down just like the Baja regulars do.

Ron
Old 11-25-2018, 10:43 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Ron,
Good to know we’ll have a tire inflation station at Quatzsite this year...
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:45 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We too have been strongly considering the Baja after Quartzsite too. I have heard from a couple folks elsewhere that traveled there this year that it is doable, but the road is real bad. As long as it is reasonably doable we are likely in (possibly with another Escape). If it takes an extra few hours, even a day, to travel at a safe speed it may not be so bad.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:46 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
What about San Felipe? It’s a reasonable drive from quartzite and hopefully the road is decent going that far?
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:09 PM   #10

Yes, it's OK as Baja roads go. But even decent roads still have sudden potholes etc. You really can't take any Baja road for granted.

It's the next section that is the heartbreaker. It was all new and it's what was badly damaged recently. There are bypasses etc. and it looks like it would be OK for us but no decision on that for at least a month.

The unfinished 20 miles that joins Hwy. 1 is still unfinished and rough but doable. We just go slow and tough it out.

Ron
Old 12-03-2018, 09:16 AM   #11

Trailer: 2010 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by advdave View Post
I was on Hwy 5 and Hwy 1 a couple of weeks ago (mid Nov) on a motorcycle (Tecate to Cabo and back). Hwy 5 from Gonzaga Bay past Coco's Corner to Hwy 1 has not changed much since I was there in 2016. The construction camp appears to be shut down although the equipment is still there. Coco said work had stopped. In addition several bridges on Hwy 5 have washed out and there are gravel detours where there used to be pavement. On the moto it was fine, but it'd be slow and bumpy, but passable towing a trailer. I did see one Escape on Hwy 1 on my way north. I did see various RVs along the way, mostly I think once they find a nice place, they stay a while.
LOL - that was probably us you saw! We tried to go Hwy 5 as we have in previous years, but like Ron in BC has mentioned, Hurricane Rosa really messed it up bad. When we were attempting it mid-Nov, most of the washed out sections south of San Felipe were filled with gravel so it was doable but VERY slow. We ended up turning around north of Puertecitos and taking 3 over to Ensenada and 1 down.

That said, I think 5 is still doable - just batten everything down really well in your trailer and prepare for a long slow drive. Still faster than taking 1 though!
BajaZephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:09 PM   #12

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i would love to go. How much time do you usually spend down there? I most likely will need to wait until I'm retired but I'm longing to go !
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
i would love to go. How much time do you usually spend down there? I most likely will need to wait until I'm retired but I'm longing to go !
We have a little bit longer drive than you but we usually take 3 days to Mexicali and 3 days to Coyote Beach. So 3 weeks gives you time for a week plus on a gorgeous beach. We don't usually hang out there for too much longer than that. We're travelers, we like to enjoy and move on. Some folks though do setup there for months at a time.

Ron