Baja Peninsula Trip - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2022, 03:08 PM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post

The drug running trade and gangs are on the other side of the Sea of Cortez.
That was true at one time but recent events have showed that times have changed.

We've already made the decision not to go in early '23 but hope things settle down so that we can go again the following year.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 03:26 PM   #42

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm still excited to see new unseen places in the lower 48 and taste the flavor of local cooking. Maybe once that is completed I'll venture further....
Old 10-13-2022, 05:33 PM   #43

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
I had lost track of this thread for a while. Just noticed on another thread that Jon Vermilye says egg rally (though not an official rally) in Quartzite in 2023 will be Feb 6-12 so I'd very much like to see that. Probably arrive a bit earlier than this?

Whether or not we decide to head to Baja after that depends on interest level and, I guess, safety awareness; we'll make the decision on the fly. That's the beauty of this mode of travel!!
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 08:37 AM   #44

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Baja is still a dream for me. I do so want to be in Quartzsite this February - if only just to see Jon again. Like Ron said, life may get in the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Qtzrally.jpg  
Old 10-14-2022, 09:00 AM   #45

Like Ron said, life may get in the way.

I thought that was my line...........
Old 10-14-2022, 09:07 AM   #46

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Jim, you old rattlesnake, hope you are well and like me, so ready for the dusty trails. How's that new 19 treating you?
Attached Thumbnails
Bosq02c.jpg  
Old 10-14-2022, 09:26 AM   #47

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
I felt pretty safe driving in Ensenada and San Felipe in 2000/2001. The drug running trade and gangs are on the other side of the Sea of Cortez. I hope to do a trip down Baja, but I won’t have the time for at least a year, as we’re doing a cross country trip this year.
My experience traveling the west coast of Mexico 2007 - 2010 via sailboat including the Sea of Cortez was that narco influence on the Baja was alive and active. The scariest experience I had for my personal safety was in downtown Encenada after dark Dec 1, 2007.

An interesting narco experience I had in 2009 was visiting a favorite cruiser's marina in La Paz that had recently changed ownership. The new owner required a large security deposit in Pesos. The refund was made in US$.

I think the Baja has a lot of enjoyable experiences to offer and the winter weather is awesome. Fishing is great. Others who travel there on land can offer lots of information and advice. I would listen to them.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 09:32 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Jim, you old rattlesnake, hope you are well and like me, so ready for the dusty trails. How's that new 19 treating you?
I'm feeling great and itching to get back on the roads. Thanks for asking. I'm planning on some local trips with the grand kids to introduce them to camping. Just a couple of over night, not too far just incase they get "homesick"......
Old 10-14-2022, 09:33 AM   #49

Meanwhile the new 19 has about 2 dozen "Amazon" orders coming to fill up the empty spaces....
Old 10-14-2022, 09:35 AM   #50

Here is what was ordered this am.....
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2023, 10:55 PM   #51

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21C
My husband and I recently purchased a Escape 21 and our looking at our first extended trip at the end of January. We will pop into the Quartzite rally, and hope to meet other Escapee’s there, and will be in the Okanogan in May.

My daughters boyfriend gave us a Baja travel book for Christmas and is encouraging us to go down there, and going down with other Escape Friends sounds like a great way to do this. My name is Karen and my husband’s is Mike and our cute Sheepadoodle is Aoifa, and we all hope to meet new friends at Quartzite, and possibly heading to Baja afterwards as a caravan.
KarenPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 06:58 AM   #52

Trailer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenPDX View Post
My husband and I recently purchased a Escape 21 and our looking at our first extended trip at the end of January. We will pop into the Quartzite rally, and hope to meet other Escapee’s there, and will be in the Okanogan in May.

My daughters boyfriend gave us a Baja travel book for Christmas and is encouraging us to go down there, and going down with other Escape Friends sounds like a great way to do this. My name is Karen and my husband’s is Mike and our cute Sheepadoodle is Aoifa, and we all hope to meet new friends at Quartzite, and possibly heading to Baja afterwards as a caravan.
Welcome to our little family
Old 01-06-2023, 11:30 AM   #53

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenPDX View Post

and possibly heading to Baja afterwards as a caravan.
From Q'site you take Mex. 5 South. It's a great smooth paved highway now that it's paved, compared to the goat trail that it was before. That avoids the West side of Baja and some potential big city problems.

Start reading the Baja Nomad forum. Not well moderated and a bunch of crude folks but they have up to date info on changing conditions. Many of the forum members also have second places in Baja or live there. There are some negatives sometimes and it's good to be aware of them.

No Baja for me this year, I'll have to console myself with a cruise to Antarctica.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 11:15 PM   #54

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
After some of the news we've seen recently, we have also decided to give Baja a pass for this year, we'll see how things are next year; I definitely would love to do this trip at some point.

We'll be in Quartzite on February 7th or 8th, so looking forward to meeting some of you folks there soon. We're thinking of hanging around the Quartzite area for about 10 days, we'll probably have some cold beers while there
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 10:30 PM   #55

Trailer: Escape 21 2017
We won't be going to Quartzite, but will be in southern California in early February, heading into Baja via Tecate around February 9 or 10. We'll keep an eye out for other Escapees.
JLou is offline   Reply With Quote