Baja Peninsula Trip - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2022, 11:53 AM   #21
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
We would be very interested in a loose caravan, especially being first timers across the border with a travel trailer. We like the idea, but have no idea where to camp, when to make reservations (or if you need them). Not sure yet if we can make Quartzite to see Ron's talk yet, but definitely interested in following along to Baja if others are going this winter.
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 06:48 AM   #22

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Actually the most benefit of being new to Baja and going down with others is in the first few days of being there.

The anxiety level drops and most folks would be comfortable with making their way back North by themselves since they'll have already seen the places to stay in, eat and gas up etc.

So the trip can be open ended as to how long each person stays.

Ron
Thanks so much, Ron! This really helps me in thinking this through.

There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs.
- Thomas Sowell
Lorraine Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 08:09 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yes, this is 2019, the last time we travelled the unfinished Mex. 5. Here we are at the stop sign at the intersection with Mex. 1. We were congratulating ourselves at having survived the unfinished rock field that was Mex. 5.

The next year we had a smile on our face the whole way. We couldn't believe that after years and years of microscopic progress they got their act together and finished the whole road right out to joining Mex. 1.

Ron
Despite the rough highway on that trip, our trailer made it through fine, we enjoyed the experience, and boy will that be a memory forever.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 11:40 AM   #24

Location: Abbotsford summer, Jalisco Mexico, winter, British Columbia
Trailer: 2010
caravanas de mexico (Why a Baja RV Caravan?) has space on 2 caravans, one on Nov 11 and one on jan 6th, I think. Escape trailers are perfect for mexico.
telcoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 09:26 AM   #25

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B Sold 2016. 2016 Escape 19 Sold 2019. 2019 Escape 21 picked up Sep 2019
My partner and I are interested in the 2023 Baja trip... would love to go to Coyote Beach.

Questions:
- How's the cell phone coverage in the Baja (AT&T and Verizon)?
- We have a friend that has a RoadTrek... are non-Escapees welcome to join the caravan?

Thanks tons!
Old 08-07-2022, 09:34 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallemann View Post
My partner and I are interested in the 2023 Baja trip... would love to go to Coyote Beach.

Questions:
- How's the cell phone coverage in the Baja (AT&T and Verizon)?
- We have a friend that has a RoadTrek... are non-Escapees welcome to join the caravan?

Thanks tons!
Good AT&T anyway. Any RV type is OK. We have a copper canyon trip in Jan with 6 roadtreks taking part. Not sure about coyote beach. details are at https://www.bajacaravans.com/tours.html
Old 08-29-2022, 10:24 PM   #27

Trailer: 2005 Casita
Baja Caravan

Hola, we’re interested in joining your planned Baja Caravan.
We are seasoned Baja travelers but this would be our first with our Escape 21.
Tentative date and border crossing location? We normally cross at Mexicali East.
Just curious as to the pace and number of participants?
I am also fluent in Spanish.
Thx for any info you can provide at this time.
Baja Sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 10:41 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Sixer View Post
Hola, we’re interested in joining your planned Baja Caravan.
We are seasoned Baja travelers but this would be our first with our Escape 21.
Tentative date and border crossing location? We normally cross at Mexicali East.
Just curious as to the pace and number of participants?
I am also fluent in Spanish.
Thx for any info you can provide at this time.
Here is the schedule 👍https://www.bajacaravans.com/tours.html We are often lookign for wagon master couples, the fct you are fluent ion Spanish is an asset.
Old 08-29-2022, 10:48 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Hey cool - another Central Coast owner....please give us some background.
Old 08-29-2022, 11:14 PM   #30

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I don’t want to put a damper on enthusiasm, but Wednesday,
The State Department issued an advisory against travel in Mexico. Reasoning was increased risk of kidnapping and ransom threats by criminal gang. Apologies but I don’t have the particulars so do some research to find the safest way to travel in this particular country.
Emjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 11:19 PM   #31

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Website info

Travel.state.gov.
Emjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 11:23 PM   #32

Hello Ross, we’ve met a couple of times before. First at Catalina State Park in Tucson and then again about two years ago in Death Valley. Both times admiring your Escape 21.
We are now proud owners of a “ new to us” 2018 21C!
Old 08-29-2022, 11:43 PM   #33

I checked the website and the travel advisory, for US government employees only daytime travel is allowed within Baja.
We travel in Mexico frequently and always exercise good judgement, maintain situational awareness at all times and do not attract unnecessary attention.
Our recommendation to others is to only do things/adventures that they are comfortable with. We are very comfortable traveling in Mexico.
We appreciate your input and concern, we will continue to assess and evaluate all advisories as they are issued.
Old 08-29-2022, 11:47 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Sixer View Post
I checked the website and the travel advisory for US government employees is daytime travel within Baja.
We travel in Mexico frequently and always exercise good judgement, maintain situational awareness at all times and do not attack unnecessary attention.
Our recommendation to others is to only do things/adventures that they are comfortable with. We are very comfortable traveling in Mexico.
We appreciate your input and concern, we will continue to assess and evaluate all advisories as they are issued.
When i see what is happening in the US, note the latest grocery store shooting on the weekend, I feel a lot safer in Mexico. If somebody wants to harm you there, they usually have a reason, its not just random. Stay away from drugs, and I feel Mexico is pretty safe.
Old 08-30-2022, 11:13 AM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by telcoman View Post
When i see what is happening in the US, note the latest grocery store shooting on the weekend, I feel a lot safer in Mexico. If somebody wants to harm you there, they usually have a reason, its not just random. Stay away from drugs, and I feel Mexico is pretty safe.
As much as we love Baja we're giving it a pass after Xmas.

When you get travel advisories from your Mexican insurance company, Vagabundos, about travel in Baja and sheltering in place and speculation from the hardcore members of Baja Nomad about the "bad old days of Baja" starting up again, we take note.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 12:18 PM   #36

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Tijuana and Ensenda and even Rosarita do look bad recently with carjacking and open warfare on the streets. Tecate should be a better entrance. The Mexican mainland via Hwy 15 (remember we live close to Nogales) remains uneventful and Guaymas/San Carlos are relatively free of violence. The Nayarit coast also has not had the gunbattles of Guanajuato or even Guadalajara recently. The violence in these 2 cities were a reaction to the arrest of a local drugloard. Follow RVing in Mexico, Travel Buddies in Mexico, etc on Facebook for recent travel experiences.
Old 08-30-2022, 01:28 PM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
A lot comes down to individual folks comfort level. For years we've seen folks almost turn green when we told them we were headed to Baja.

This current situation could just be a flare up and have gone back to normal by Feb. By normal I mean the Baja that we've never had any problems in.

We've walked the pitch black streets of a South American city that had a "strangle mugging" warning in effect. Comfort levels differ.

Full disclosure: We've had 3 South American and Antarctica cruises cancelled. Finally we have one that's a go and the departure date is early Feb. when we'd normally be in or heading to Baja. So we wouldn't have headed to Baja anyway.

Definitely interested in doing some mainland Mexico at some point. If we didn't have the cruise going ahead would be have headed for Baja? Probably.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 04:05 PM   #38

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
I have traveled all over for work and been to Baja several times on fishing trips. But my safety level is based on living in St. Louis, MO.

99% of the areas are quite safe. But I've been in the 1% areas where I've been shot at and had brick thrown into my windshield. Now I smart enough to stay away.

Be safe out there! Head on a swivel!
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 08:53 PM   #39

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
I felt pretty safe driving in Ensenada and San Felipe in 2000/2001. The drug running trade and gangs are on the other side of the Sea of Cortez. I hope to do a trip down Baja, but I won’t have the time for at least a year, as we’re doing a cross country trip this year.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 01:13 PM   #40

We’ll keep an eye out for future Baja Escape adventures. It would be a fun trip I believe! ��
We have a trip to Mexico City coming up in October for Day of the Dead celebrations then we’ll be heading to Baja for the Baja 1000 and Thanksgiving.
We’re heading to the Eastern Sierras for the “maiden voyage”! ��⛰