Bakersfield - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 10:06 PM   #21

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
Happy cows are the dairy ones......hah!
You haven't smelled anything until you experience liquid manure..or get behind a "sheeeit truck" who just pulled out of a cornfield and you have no choice but to drive over his tracks.

Upstate upstate NY is mostly dairy...ugh...going to town was always an adventure.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:09 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Those were not Lynn's comments. She was quoting a site. And, that's why quote marks need to be used and attribution given, so that there is no confusion.
I disagree Glenn ... quotes or no quotes ... Lynn L brought up the whole tenor of the article and that is what I was addressing. I got gas and groceries there ... thank you Bakersfield. No, Bakersfield is not attractive in any sense of the imagination ... probably would have sufficed to just say "Its the ugliest town I have ever seen".... but her long quote was a bit much in my opinion. If she will only drive through Tijuana or Mexicali, she'll be thinking Bakersfield looks like downtown Victoria.

Tom

Change topic ... OK?
Old 02-23-2018, 10:28 PM   #23

Trailer: 5.0TA 2016 Spirit Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Pretty cool up here in Sedona right now. A few flurries this week, low down to 16 a couple nights. First time I've had to disconnect the water lines every night.

Bring your long johns.
Hi Padlin
Yup, had a feeling the weather wasn’t going to improve prior to leaving so we are both prepared.
When did you arrive/leaving?
Old 02-23-2018, 10:38 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
..... No, Bakersfield is not attractive in any sense of the imagination ...
Hey, to me the best thing about Bakerspatch is the Westside Parkway they put in recently. That way you can get from I-5 over to the 58 east of town to go over Tehachapi without slogging through town. Had to do same years ago in Fresno too to get to Yosemite.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:04 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
I don't have anything to add to the original discussion, but want to give my impression of Bakersfield. Bakersfield is one of the highlights of my annual winter trip south. When I hit Bakersfield, I feel like I have arrived into the sun belt.

We go to Orange Grove RV, pick our own oranges, wash up the car and trailer from the rain and snow we encountered en route from BC, and pick up dates from the date & nut outlet around the corner. From here, we can go to any snowbird destination we please.

This is usually the first stop on our route south where I feel like sitting outside to drink coffee in the morning sun (it is early February when get here). For me, that is the most important daily ritual while camping.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:19 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 19'
Funny LA is being compared to Bakersfield ... we pass thru both areas a few times a year, at least I'm less agitated passing thru Bakersfield than when I' passing thru LA..
Old 02-23-2018, 11:24 PM   #27

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Kirk, thank you for that useful piece of information. We will be spending one night in Bakersfield in April and now we know where to stay! Looked at the web site for Orange Grove RV park and it looks quite nice. Thanks!!

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
Old 02-23-2018, 11:30 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
I don't know how long the orange blossoms last, but if they are still out when you get there, the scent is amazing. Enjoy!
Old 02-23-2018, 11:35 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Friends of ours always stay at Orange Grove RV every year going n coming to Quartzsite gathering and have very positive comments about it.
We are having a couple of winter weeks here in AZ, and I’ve heard Sedona is down to 18 degrees tonight. We’re about an hour south and less elevation but it was windy n cold here all day. Rare inside day for us.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:07 PM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Okay, I've deleted the worst of the "rants." And this thread is now open again. Can we please post all the political stuff somewhere else on the WWW, not here. Think before you post... Thank you.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:12 PM   #31

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Thank you Donna!!!!!!!!!!

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
Old 02-24-2018, 06:18 PM   #32

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
Wow, IMHO this thread should be deleted. It only shows the extreme ignorance on behalf of the person quoted and the original poster Lynn L. My apologies to anyone from the Bakersfield area, I have traveled thru Bakersfield many times and have enjoyed it and all the fine people.
Also kind of got to me and thought kind of snobbish .. We consider Bakersflied a nice stop , gas maybe something to eat . Isn't. In and Out there too. Going home ,check after getting a bite the wheels etc. on trailer before doing the climb . Very important city for truckers too. Wish I didn't see post . Pat
Old 02-24-2018, 06:25 PM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Suggest you direct your complaints about the post to publisher which has now received the attribution in the original post. Apparently members here must first clear their opinions with those other members here who might object to the content.
QUOTE:
The following is an opinion/review from “Sperlings Best Places”

Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 4.25.46 PM.png  
Old 02-24-2018, 06:32 PM   #34

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Suggest you direct your complaints about the post to publisher which has now received the attribution in the original post. Apparently members here must first clear their opinions with those other members here who might object to the content.
QUOTE:
The following is an opinion/review from “Sperlings Best Places”

Someone's opinion. Since we live here in California and drive through and stop more then once a year . Not our opinion and experience . Pat
Old 02-24-2018, 06:33 PM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Garbage in/Garbage out. Inappropriate to knock where others live whether you write it or put quotations around it.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:35 PM   #36

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
I was quite offended when I read the now deleted rant. No one should excuse that post on technicalities. The post was offensive.

I worked in Bakersfield off and on for close to thirty years consulting from oil field production, refineries and towards the end health care. Never have I had a bad experience staying in Bakersfield, quite the opposite. Locals were friendly and with small town manners. Yes it gets hot in the summer and being in the valley air quality is not same as on the ocean side of the Los Padres national forest, Duh!

Bakersfield has a country culture, tractor pulls was big when I worked there. It seems some big city types don't quite understand nor tolerate a lifestyle different from their own. The valley is farm country, if you don't drive a pickup truck, you don't belong there.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:40 PM   #37

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Thread has been closed, pending discussion....
Closed Thread