Bayview or Deception Pass State Park - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2015, 09:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 2006 Escape 17B
Bayview or Deception Pass State Park

We are only 4 +- weeks away from escaping the frozen north for a few weeks.
Not much time left to plan but we want to work our way down 101 to California and then back to Vancouver Island.
For our first stop in Washington (probably for a few days) which park would be better Bayview or Deception Pass.
Please note we will be traveling with dogs ( i noticed some trails and beaches do not allow dogs)
alan in alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Dont forget Birch Bay; Tammy suggested it and it was very nice. Like Bay View as well, however not as many choices of campsites.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Better's tough , pretty subjective. Both are more than adequate and I've stayed at both. Deception Pass is worth seeing and there's several different places and driving down Whidbey Island and catching the ferry at the South end is worthwhile too.

Lots' of choices, all good. And don't forget there's a Camping World at Burlington, right where you turn off for either area, for all the little things that you remember that you forgot.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Dont forget Birch Bay; Tammy suggested it and it was very nice. Like Bay View as well, however not as many choices of campsites.
It does not look like it has power or water so maybe that will go on our return trip list.
For the first few nights i want to flush out the funny taste from the antifreeze
Old 02-11-2015, 10:01 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
We picked Bay View on a whim for our first night with our 19. Looks like its going to be a good choice.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
We picked Bay View on a whim for our first night with our 19. Looks like its going to be a good choice.
If you have time it would be worthwhile driving over the Deception Pass bridge etc., down Whidbey Island and catching the ferry back to the mainland above Seattle. Unlike our BC Ferries, Washington State Ferries are inexpensive.

Ron
Old 02-11-2015, 11:32 PM   #7
grc

Trailer: Four Wheel Camper
If you are willing to come on Whidbey Island there are several parks to choose from. Already mentioned are Bay View and Deception Pass state parks. Deception Pass is very beautiful. The City of Anacortes runs Washington rv park out past where the BC ferry loads. The City of Oak Harbor has a Staysail RV park at the south end of town. A little further south is Fort Casey state park. All of these have their strong points. In Anacortes' Washington Park you can drive back to town if you need something. In Oak Harbor, most things are within walking distance (Safeway, Walmart, laundrymat) but you are very close to the shoreline. Fort Casey is very unusual due to the old concrete artillery batteries. Fort Casey is also right next to the ferry dock to go over to Port Townsend. For the ferry you can walk-on or take a bicycle as a walk-on and wander Port Townsend for an afternoon. Forgot there is also Fort Ebey state park. Just lots of camping choices.
grc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:59 AM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by grc View Post
If you are willing to come on Whidbey Island there are several parks to choose from. Already mentioned are Bay View and Deception Pass state parks. Deception Pass is very beautiful. The City of Anacortes runs Washington rv park out past where the BC ferry loads. The City of Oak Harbor has a Staysail RV park at the south end of town. A little further south is Fort Casey state park. All of these have their strong points. In Anacortes' Washington Park you can drive back to town if you need something. In Oak Harbor, most things are within walking distance (Safeway, Walmart, laundrymat) but you are very close to the shoreline. Fort Casey is very unusual due to the old concrete artillery batteries. Fort Casey is also right next to the ferry dock to go over to Port Townsend. For the ferry you can walk-on or take a bicycle as a walk-on and wander Port Townsend for an afternoon. Forgot there is also Fort Ebey state park. Just lots of camping choices.
We may have to alter our plan to head southeast after our first night. Another night or two in the Puget Sound area sounds great. Some of it will be based on weather -- we admit freely that we aren't fans of the cold and wet.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:50 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
We didn't care where we were the first night as long as it was close to the factory (just in case). So we stayed at The Cedars Ferndale RV Campground - Ferndale Camping - Holiday Trails RV Resorts
Close to everything including the freeway. They have a small store, nice folks. Got the trailer packed with everything we had brought. Then we moved on to have fun. Drove across Deception Pass - spectacular, don't miss it. Took the ferry to Port Townsend and camped at Ft Worden. As others have mentioned there are a lot of choices in the area. If you take the Coupeville Ferry you can make reservations (Washington State Ferrys) and if you have time while you are waiting in line, there's a great little cafe (Keystone) with wonderful Fish and Chips. Here's a pic on the ferry. The drive down 101 from there is beautiful and connects back up with I5 by Olympia.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1071 - Version 2.jpg  
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Some of it will be based on weather -- we admit freely that we aren't fans of the cold and wet.
I think we get a bad rap weather wise. Been doing yard work without a jacket, flowers popping up, fish in the pond out of hibernation and feeding like crazy. OK, we do get a little rain sometimes but that's why everything is beautiful and green.

Honest, it's not quite at the Arctic Circle

Ron
Old 02-12-2015, 12:28 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Well, you are doing better than us. Predictions for tomorrow morning is 0°F & -30F windchill, and it is snowing hard enough that I can't see to the end of my driveway.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:32 PM   #12

Wow sounds like Oregon and California may have to wait a few days for us to see a little of Washington
I think i will put Ferndale on our list and either do Whidbey on the way down if the weather is good or on the way back north in April
Old 02-12-2015, 09:12 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
We spent the first two nights at Deception Pass last spring. It was pretty much empty midweek this early in the year. We had the dogs with us and there was plenty of space for walks and a nice fresh water pond. The downside was the Navy was practicing night landings, so there were fighter jets overhead until about 10:00 at night.

Most injuries injuries in old men occur because they think they are young men!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 04:18 PM   #14
grc

Trailer: Four Wheel Camper
Drove thru Fort Casey state park camp site today and was surprised by a sign saying the water is shut down. The alert on their website says a new restroom for the camp site is being built from 2/9 thru 3/19. There is a restroom with shower near the boat launch (other side of ferry dock).
grc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:00 PM   #15

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
Do Whidbey!! I've never been camping there (and haven't been there since becoming a dog person) but it's on my list of future trips... The ferry is relatively expensive with a trailer but they have awesome dog parks! FETCH! Off Leash Dog Parks on Whidbey Island
Old 02-15-2015, 09:58 AM   #16

I have been researching Whidbey a little more and it sounds perfect
March and April are a perfect time for whale watching.
Good dog parks and beaches for the dogs

I found this great quote on one of the web sites

"Travel is alchemy, changing ordinary days into gold."

The countdown to the holiday is on 4 weeks to go....
Old 02-15-2015, 11:32 AM   #17

[QUOTE=alan in alberta;82542]I have been researching Whidbey a little more and it sounds perfect
March and April are a perfect time for whale watching.
Good dog parks and beaches for the dogs

/QUOTE]

Can't go wrong with Whidbey. It's a destination in itself. Each camping area is different. Good luck with whale watching, it can be hit or miss. Two new babies in that pod to look for.

Ron
Old 02-17-2015, 07:46 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 19'
Bayview

We generally stay at Bayview if we are going to Chilliwack and have found it to be more than adequate for our needs. Back in slots were no problem getting into and the facilities were clean. Site have electric, water there is a dump station when leaving. It is away from the I-5 corridor so it isn't noisy. We haven't stayed at Deception Pass so can't comment on it, but Bayview is more than adequate.
sokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:18 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Deception Pass is more heavily treed and shady. Bayview is more open and sunny. Weather conditions during your planned stay may make one more attractive than the other.
Richard Krueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:02 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokol View Post
We generally stay at Bayview if we are going to Chilliwack and have found it to be more than adequate for our needs. Back in slots were no problem getting into and the facilities were clean. Site have electric, water there is a dump station when leaving. It is away from the I-5 corridor so it isn't noisy. We haven't stayed at Deception Pass so can't comment on it, but Bayview is more than adequate.
If you are new to backing a trailer you could have some trouble at Deception Pass. Although there are a lot of easy sites there are plenty of awkward ones (steep, narrow and not level etc.) too, but the scenery is spectacular.
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote