BC Ferries - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
BC Ferries

Hi ,
We have a question for anyone who is familiar with the ferry route from Horseshoe Bay to Langdale . We are fairly familiar with the routes over to the Island , but have never taken it up to Langdale. We are wondering if one is likely to get a spot ( without reservation ) on a weekday evening for the 5:30 pm ferry to Langdale . Usually we time our ferry travel for an early morning ( and avoid Horseshoe Bay - just have better luck with Tsawwassen ) , but our plan is to head up to the Sunshine Coast after the rally and would like to arrive there early evening . Would appreciate any info ..thanks .
Old 04-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13
West Vancouver - Langdale travel on BC Ferries

I suggest you have a look at this site: Travel Centre | BC Ferries - British Columbia Ferry Services Inc.

If you know the date and time you are going to travel you can look up how full the ferry is for your type of vehicle and decide whether to make reservations.

If you want to avoid having to wait for the next available ferry it might be a good idea to make reservations.

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvansnell View Post
I suggest you have a look at this site: Travel Centre | BC Ferries - British Columbia Ferry Services Inc.

If you know the date and time you are going to travel you can look up how full the ferry is for your type of vehicle and decide whether to make reservations.

If you want to avoid having to wait for the next available ferry it might be a good idea to make reservations.
Thank you ...... we were hoping someone might say that route isn't as heavily travelled , guess not . It's been a couple of years since our last trip to the island - ferry prices have gone up a fair bit our last fare with trailer was about $120. Tsawwassen -Duke Point . Maybe we'll have to rethink our timing .
Old 04-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #4

Trailer: '07 17B
Hi, i wouldn't think it will be busy in early June. After schools out is a different story. Here's what i found on the ferries site.........
"Q: When are your ferry terminals usually busiest?
A:
Our terminals and ships are always busiest on holiday weekends. Peak traffic volumes occur on Thursday and Friday afternoons and evenings, Saturday mornings and Monday afternoons. On regular weekends, Friday and Sunday afternoons are busy. When travelling during these periods, please allow extra time to reach your destination. If you are visiting Vancouver Island over the summer months, consider taking one of our weekday mid-morning sailings for a less crowded travel experience."
GaryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #5

Thank for your responses ..... doesn't sound ( or read ) like afternoon ferries recommended at all ...guess we'll rethink our plans a bit .
Old 04-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Arrive late and then stay in the lot ( waiting for the first ferry in the morning ). You should have a view of the bay, free (unserviced ) campsite, walking access to Horseshoe Bay pubs and restaurants. Way better than any Wallmart parking lot.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Good thinkin', baglo.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Arrive late and then stay in the lot ( waiting for the first ferry in the morning ). You should have a view of the bay, free (unserviced ) campsite, walking access to Horseshoe Bay pubs and restaurants. Way better than any Wallmart parking lot.
Yup ... good plan .... just need to be careful about the pubbing part ..... wouldn't want to sleep in and miss the ferry ......
Old 04-09-2013, 12:30 AM   #9

Trailer: 2012 15-A
Hi there, you might want to check with BC Ferries to see if they will let you stay in the lot overnight. With all the hype regarding security these days, they may not allow you to remain on the property overnight.

In addition, the 5:30 pm ferry on weekdays may be busy with commuters going back to the Sunshine Coast and others onward to Powell River. Seeing as you will be over 20 feet in length and over-height I recommend you either should be there very early to get on board or else make a reservation for the new price of $18.50. If you have a reservation, you have to be there a minimum of 30 minutes before departure! If not, you loe your reservation. I travel the ferries a great deal, both personally and work wise (before I retired) and if I am on a time schedule, I always reserve. I figure my time is worth the $18.50 rather then waiting around another 2 hours for the next ferry. My thoughts!

Regards
Scott
Kærnehuset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:39 AM   #10

I don't think the late afternoon sailing, Horseshoe Bay to Langdale would be a problem. There's usually a bit more traffic on the 5:30 sailing because of commuter traffic. The sailing that is hardest to get on for over-height and commercial traffic is the 7:30 AM sailing. If you're really want to get on that 5:30 sailing, just make a reservation. The issue that could cause the most problem is traffic on Hwy 1, Burnaby to West Van.
Mountain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #11

Yes.... that hwy 1 through there is never very fun . Actually don't really like driving through the Vancouver (et al) area too much at any time . Lots we love about the area though .May end up spending more time in the interior this trip after all .... Save the Sunshine Coast till next year . We are still planing to drive to the east coast after labour day , that'll be about 6 weeks and we don't really want to take more than about 4 weeks this June trip.
Usually when we take a ferry we arrive 2-3 hrs earlier than the first sailing and at that we've never been first - but close . There do seem to be people who spend most of the night in a lane . With a $300. plus cost for two ways we might want a little more time up there . So we'll see......... Thanks for your thoughts .
Old 04-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'm on the ferry to Nanaimo. You don't want to sleep in the Horseshoe Bay lot or approach to the ticket booth. Would be rather uncomfortable on that slope.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm on the ferry to Nanaimo. You don't want to sleep in the Horseshoe Bay lot or approach to the ticket booth. Would be rather uncomfortable on that slope.
Depending on what those pubs are serving .... maybe it wouldn't matter !
Old 04-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
We are planning a trip to Vancouver Island for during the peak summer season this year and thought that it would be wise to have all major camping sites and ferries booked well in advance so that we don't have any disappointments during the trip. I booked the Pacific Rim Park camping sites several weeks ago and the ferry this week. For the few extra dollars to book in advance, it does give me some peace of mind that I will get where I want to go and be able to stay there once I am there. Biggest downside is that it does make it more difficult to change your plans if you have to.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #15

We always book rv/campsites for the Van. I. even though we almost never go during July or August . However we don't like booking for the ferry because one just never knows about traffic , like Mountain Mike wrote . We had hoped the ferry to Langdale might be less busy , but yeah there is the highway .