Bear country US 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2022, 10:11 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 escape 17B
Bear country US 2

Greetings, I have delved into this over the weekend, understand the cleanliness concept, bears spray and have a large bear resistant yeti cooler. Bought some 57% pine cleaner and we talk pretty loud. We will be at devils canyon outside of Glacier NP. My tendency will be to stay near the camper but we do want to star gaze. How conservative do we need to be, not hiking down skinny trails, but just doing general camping. Thanks, Stan, we will also be doing this at Rainbow Point CG outside of Yellowstone.
mr.stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 10:32 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
check out these places....https://www.travelandleisure.com/tri...aces-in-the-us
Old 05-09-2022, 11:19 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
It doesn't matter if the cooler is bear resistant or not. If it's left outside it will still attract bears who will have it open in no time, resistant or not. And in a lot of parks will get you a fine for it being left outside.

We've gone a little further on what was to have been a short walk and ended up well away from our trailer. A couple of times without bear spray. I will admit to be a little uncomfortable in areas where there's visible signs of bears without having the bear spray.

But we do "talk loud" and I wack trees and rocks with my hiking pole and we've never encountered a bear when we do that.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 11:33 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
It's probably best to stay home.
Unless you live in North Vancouver.
Old 05-09-2022, 11:57 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
My son took a hike in Yellowstone with his wife a couple years ago. He’s a good outdoorsman’s with good awareness and we provided him and his wife with two fresh bear spray cans and a lesson on how to use them. He jumped a small grizzly shortly after they started on the hike and it ran off.
Then later they heard someone yelling and my son went to investigate. A young single Asian lady without spray had decided to eat her lunch about 30 yards off the trail while she sat in a rotting log in the woods. A bear came, she moved away and he left with her lunch . About all Clay could get out of her was “Bear take my lunch.” She was ok but pretty “shook up”. He helped her up the hill onto the trail and she headed back for her car. There we were a number of people on the trail and several had seen bears. Who knows how many there actually were but even a couple are enough to make people think they are everywhere.

Making noise, carrying bear spray, staying away from hiking during the crepuscular hours, and carrying only water are all good practices. Many times the rangers will post
A sign on the restrooms or camp registration/ information board about recent bear sightings. At a campground near the Divide several years ago there was a dry erase board and a marker with the title “Bear Sightings” the idea was to note the day date and time when one was spotted near the campground. We were there about noon, the sign said 10:45 AM. Close enough for me.

A fellow was salmon fishing in Canada with a guide in bear country. He asked the guide if he had a gun and the gun confirmed he had a fine .22 pistol. The fisherman questioned him further saying he did not think the small pistol would stop a bear.
The guide said “I’m not going to shoot the bear, I’m going to shoot you in the kneecap and then I’m going to run away. Good luck.”
Iowa Dave
Old 05-09-2022, 12:27 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Went on a group hike at Glacier NP once. At the beginning of the trail the group leader called us all together (about 25 of us) and advised us what to do if a griz happened to arrive in our path. Never forgot those instructions. He said, If we happen to confront a bear, I want everyone to quickly gather in a circle around me.
Old 05-09-2022, 12:55 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I was fly fishing on the Crowsnest River in southern Alberta, lost in my thoughts, when another fly fisher shouted to me, "did you see that bear"? I hadn't. Then he informed me that the 1,000 lb. cinnamon bear had passed about 10 feet behind me. Glad I didn't catch him on my back cast.
Old 05-09-2022, 02:15 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Mr. Stang, We live about 60 miles from the NW corner of Yellowstone, (and will be camping at Mammoth Hot Springs in our Escape 19 next week) and have backpacked and day-hiked in grizzly country in Montana, Wyoming, BC, Yukon, Alberta, and Alaska. So I am familiar with staying safe in grizz habitat. I think you might be staying in the Devil's Creek campground near Essex, rather than Devil's canyon. Anyway, I would agree with the fellow who said to leave no food or coolers, or whatever outside when you are not using them. In Yellowstone, they actually have bear-proof enclosures at each campsite to store grills, and other cookware. If you are going to be out hiking, carry bear spray and KNOW how to use it. Always, always be bear-aware as you move thru their territory. That said, I have rarely seen grizzly bears while out hiking. The closest I have been to a grizz was in 2012, on the East Coast of Katmai National Park. Probably less than 15 feet. See:
https://twohikers.smugmug.com/Alaska...12/i-fzfnpqL/A Enjoy your trip
rajenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 02:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajenkins View Post
Mr. Stang, We live about 60 miles from the NW corner of Yellowstone, (and will be camping at Mammoth Hot Springs in our Escape 19 next week) and have backpacked and day-hiked in grizzly country in Montana, Wyoming, BC, Yukon, Alberta, and Alaska. So I am familiar with staying safe in grizz habitat. I think you might be staying in the Devil's Creek campground near Essex, rather than Devil's canyon. Anyway, I would agree with the fellow who said to leave no food or coolers, or whatever outside when you are not using them. In Yellowstone, they actually have bear-proof enclosures at each campsite to store grills, and other cookware. If you are going to be out hiking, carry bear spray and KNOW how to use it. Always, always be bear-aware as you move thru their territory. That said, I have rarely seen grizzly bears while out hiking. The closest I have been to a grizz was in 2012, on the East Coast of Katmai National Park. Probably less than 15 feet. See:
Yes Devils Creek June 2-5 Thanks
Old 05-09-2022, 02:45 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
I have read too many books on bear safety and have had at least 5 grizzly and 1 black bear encounters that we know of (in which both bear and we were aware of each other with nothing but air between us). They have all been amicable but instead of giving us confidence, it has made us more weary. Not knowing whether the next bear has attended the same safety course as we did, we try to avoid areas with grizzlies as much as possible

We are into hiking, so being in the camper or within x yards of the camper doesn't help us. Aside from bear spray and noise, one thing to remember is more people you have around you, the safer you are. Not simply because bear has a bigger menu to choose from but because there are very few recorded bear attacks on groups of 6 or more. In fact, there were some trails in Banff where it was prohibited to hike in groups of less than 6. [So, Myron was completely safe in the group of 25 - as long as they were not scattered about.]

A group of 6 or more is a tough ask when trying to go on a long hike but worth being aware of. On the same trail in Banff, my wife and I waited for 45 minutes for someone else to come buy. When a group of 4 came by - we were delighted and asked whether we could join. They said sure... But, a few miles in - they pointed to a peak and told us they were planning to scale them - and had their rock climbing shoes and gear for that. So, we had little choice but to hike alone in violation of the instructions while not intending to. It was a beautiful but long hike (22km loop). We did not meet anyone - had lunch on a nice lake and got back safely. We took reasonable measures - noise, bear spray, etc. A few days later, chatting with other hikers we learned that they had hiked sections of the same trail on the same day, had ran into rangers who issued them hefty fines for not having their group of 6 sufficiently together. And, the rangers also told them that a mother bear was raising her cubs on the same lake where we had lunch!

So, there is luck involved, and we try not to tempt it too often.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 03:17 PM   #11

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
It’s pretty hard to avoid bears in Katmai, but what a cool place.
Old 05-09-2022, 06:10 PM   #12

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajenkins View Post
B. E. A. Utiful!!!
WillyB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 10:33 AM   #13

Thanks for all the info, as Colombo said, just one more question. Is it better to keep food, food clothes, garbage in the escape or in the truck covered?
Old 05-10-2022, 10:39 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If they can smell it, they will get inside, the camper or your truck....
Old 05-10-2022, 11:09 AM   #15
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
When I stargaze while camping (I have a lot of astro gear so I do this a lot) I am normally more worried about mountain lions than bears. I normally have something like a radio or a noise maker, and of course I keep an air horn and bear spray within reach (bear spray attached to my belt). I've never heard of a bear approaching at night (although I know it can happen), but I have had fellow astronomy enthusiasts who shared that they had a mountain lion stop by to see what they were doing. Fortunately there were two of them and they stood together, waived their hands and yelled and the cat went away.

As for the other comments about coolers and food, I can only second that. As an idiot 19 year old Army Private newly stationed in Alaska, I took a bucket of KFC out to a picnic area on the side of Eagle River (near Anchorage). Needless to say it did not take long for a Grizzly to show up and claim it. I quickly went from idiot status to "encounter veteran" (maybe living encounter veteran is a better description) and I've never forgotten to be "bear aware" since! I did encounter a black bear family about two years later while duck hunting, and saw them coming at a distance. I stood up to attract their attention by yelling and waiving my arms, and when they saw me they turned around. Keep food locked up indoors in a solid-wall trailer/camper and for what it is worth, don't cook bacon!! (yep, there is another story there - but not mine!).
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 12:31 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Back in the 90’s we were camped at Many Glaciers campground at Glacier NP. The wife, my 3 sons and I decided to hike around Swiftcurrent lake. We were part way around when a ranger came riding down the trail. He jumped of his horse, told us to get behind his horse. Bear, he said, pulling a pump shotgun from his rig and leveling it across his saddle. A mama black bear and two cubs were headed straight for us. After a bunch of “hey bearing” one cub shinied up a tree and mama decide to reverse course. The ranger herded us back down the trail. Was quite the rush. The next day they had posted the trail closed. Our boys talked about it for years.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 10:41 PM   #17

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I was fly fishing on the Crowsnest River in southern Alberta, lost in my thoughts, when another fly fisher shouted to me, "did you see that bear"? I hadn't. Then he informed me that the 1,000 lb. cinnamon bear had passed about 10 feet behind me. Glad I didn't catch him on my back cast.
Fishermen always have a good story about the one that got away, but usually those are fish. You have to be different, don't you?! Great story.

I only have stories about the ones I caught. The bush, the weed, the tree limb....
Old 05-18-2022, 04:45 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.stang View Post
Greetings, I have delved into this over the weekend, understand the cleanliness concept, bears spray and have a large bear resistant yeti cooler. Bought some 57% pine cleaner and we talk pretty loud. We will be at devils canyon outside of Glacier NP. My tendency will be to stay near the camper but we do want to star gaze. How conservative do we need to be, not hiking down skinny trails, but just doing general camping. Thanks, Stan, we will also be doing this at Rainbow Point CG outside of Yellowstone.
One word of caution on bears in general. Three years ago we made a side trip off the Cassiar highway to Hyder, AK. for a Halibut dinner. On the way back to the Cassiar on 37A, at around 10 P.M. (still light) we stopped at a rest stop that had two vault toilets. No one else there so I parked very close to the facilities. I was approaching the vault toilet door and something caught my eye right next to the toilet. I was staring into some big brown eyes. I backed up and stupidly stood behind my car door to look closer. It was a large grizzly foraging next to the toilet. He was hidden by the tall grass. I got in the car and we just watched him for a spell. He then walked out in front of us and continued eating. Probably a 1000 lbs on him. Never displayed any aggression. But.......my point is NEVER EVER assume the tall grass in and around the rest stops are danger free......He could have had me in a second. I was literally 4 feet from those big eyes.... Take care and don't assume anything when it comes to bears unless it's to assume they are close...
USMCJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 06:39 PM   #19

Trailer: Past time to update- canceled my 5.0 ��
Being in “bear country” is not the spot to be anything less than fully prepared. Most folks with experience cook away from where they sleep. They don’t have any scented products in their tent. They hang food and food prep items in bear bags away from their tent or campsite. Bear resistant is not going to cut it. The sad thing is that the first time someone doesn’t do these things, and a bear comes along and gets it’s “reward,” whether it’s food items left laying around, going through your trash you didn’t properly stow, or having a field day with “bear resistant” anything, that dangerous behavior has now been positively reinforced. It’s a learned behavior taught by people who are ignorant or irresponsible. Any story you hear about a bear busting through a tent or dragging a child out of a tent usually happens because that bear has been habituated to people who didn’t have good common sense and forethought about their choices. Please error on the side of caution, not only for your own health and well being, but also for the bear, who will ultimately be shot and killed because you couldn’t be bothered to pick up your trash or store your food properly.
Deva is offline   Reply With Quote