Bringing bikes to Alaska - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2019, 10:21 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA/2022 Ram Hemi
Bringing bikes to Alaska

For anyone that has made the trip to Alaska, did you bring bikes and how often did you get a chance to use them. We have a 2+ month trip planned and not sure if hauling them up there worth the wear and tear on the bikes from all the road grim and corrosion issues. We don't plan on spending to much time in the larger towns just campgrounds and boondocking where possible. We took a 1 month trip last year to pickup the camper and only used them twice. Also heard it gets pretty rainy thus reducing the riding time, another reason to leave them home.
waltkaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:13 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
We took our bikes to Alaska. I'm not sure we even used them once. For the hard core mountain bike crowd who's out on their bikes all the time it'd probably be useful. We just use ours to ride around near a campground or into a nearby town.

So it probably depends on how much you'd normally use them and I'd say in Alaska it'd probably be even less.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:41 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltkaren View Post
For anyone that has made the trip to Alaska, did you bring bikes and how often did you get a chance to use them. We have a 2+ month trip planned and not sure if hauling them up there worth the wear and tear on the bikes from all the road grim and corrosion issues. We don't plan on spending to much time in the larger towns just campgrounds and boondocking where possible. We took a 1 month trip last year to pickup the camper and only used them twice. Also heard it gets pretty rainy thus reducing the riding time, another reason to leave them home.
I think a lot depends on how long you may be staying at a particular site. If your plan is to be driving every day, stopping at a different campground every night, you may not get a lot of opportunity to use your bikes. However, if you stop at campgrounds for several days or more at a time, it becomes much easier to pull out the bikes and do some riding.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 17B
I have been to Alaska twice-three months each trip- and never once did I say to myself “ I wish I had my bike”.
Calicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
https://www.redbull.com/ca-en/mounta...laska-red-bull

There are apparently lots of great places to bicycle in Alaska!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:09 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
We have never brought our bikes on any camping trips. There are many areas for great mountain/fat bike riding if you like to ride. However, if you intend to use them for general cruising around I don't think it would be worth it except when camped in a city. Outside of the cities, most the highways do not have specific bike lanes or bike paths.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:55 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
There are apparently lots of great places to bicycle in Alaska!
And some not so great. I don't mind being up close and personal when I have the safety of the truck cab, but on a bike, not so much.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P6280143_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:58 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
How fast can you pedal?
Attached Thumbnails
bear-print.jpg  
Old 05-18-2019, 07:27 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA/2022 Ram Hemi
Thanks for the opinions. The bikes are staying home this trip because we're just road cruisers. If we do say to ourselves, "should have brought the bikes" for that one or two instances that may occur, I'll just add to the list of all the other times "we should have .......".
waltkaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:11 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I personally would not consider a trip to Alaska (or just about anywhere) without bringing our bikes. We use them a lot in and around campgrounds. Our dog is young, only 11, and loves going on big runs when I am on a bike.

If you don't want to use them, I would definitely leave them at home.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:04 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21, 2014 Northern Lite slide in, 2014 2500 Duramax
When we went to Alaska in 2015 we were gone for a full 3 months, spending one month just in AK. There is so much to see, we only spent about 2 nights in any one spot and even then never wished for our bikes
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote