Bucket list..... - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2020, 08:06 AM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Mike
I can highly recommend camping at Devils Tower, what a great area.
Agreed. The park campground is adjacent to a prairie dog town. They are fun to watch.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:46 AM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Agreed. The park campground is adjacent to a prairie dog town. They are fun to watch.
And a great place to take milky way photos:
Old 05-11-2020, 09:01 AM   #43

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I have a number of places I would like to visit, but I never “put” them in the so-called bucket. I always figured maybe sometime I will get there, but if I don’t, so be it. But now I have created a single item bucket list. I just want to be able to travel to any non-specific location without having to socially distance from others, to be able to interact with strangers who may become friends, to visit restaurants and enjoy meals with others, etc. Bucket lists are those activities we hope to engage in before our death. I suspect/ with the rush to open things up and some of the irresponsible behavior that already is or has been observed, the COVID-19 danger is only going to be prolonged for a much greater time than it would be if people were to simply do as the medical experts suggest. I also fear that the death toll is going to skyrocket. At my age and that of many of the members here, should the current crisis go on for years, some of us may not live long enough to safely accomplish any of our bucket dreams.
Hi: C&G in FL... If we don't get going soon...we're gonna need a bigger bucket!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:27 AM   #44

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Jon
I certainly can’t top that Milky Way photo. The great thing about traveling and specifically traveling the same basic route several times Is the opportunity to get those mental photographs in different seasons and from many angles.

We took the Boy Scouts to South Dakota, Wyoming and Montana on a High Adventure in 1997. Camped two nights at the Tower and took a side trip to Little Bighorn.

As we went through the gate with three vehicles our lead vehicle paid for all three. The lady attendant peered into the vehicle and said, “ so the Boy Scouts are what 17 or 18? I said to her “no, they are mostly 12, 13 or 14. You don’t have any sons do you?”
“No I have two daughters why”.
I said “because when boys turn about 15 their sense of smell changes and all they can smell is gasoline, money and perfume and it’s Hell to keep them in Scouting after that.”

Lots of the boys had never seen a prairie dog, mountain climbers lugging gear to the base, or the night sky in the West.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
5D7AB6A1-9D1C-4148-8C0C-AE6520369154.jpg  
Old 05-11-2020, 10:27 AM   #45

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
I want to drive US20 end-to-end. I have pretty much done the Oregon part, but I want to do the rest. I've been to most of the states, but not the New England states (or Oklahoma), so after getting to Boston, we would hit the rest of those. Then we could do the maritime provinces and head home across Canada. I'm sure there are interesting things in Oklahoma, but that is one state I may have to miss, although I think a trip to Texas and the Big Bend area would be interesting. I could pick up Oklahoma then.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 12:06 PM   #46

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
We Canadians will still be going to FL since the water is not rising as climate alarmists forecast. Here's Fernandina Beach FL which appears to have records from 1856 with a gap but the trend line is constant. Yes sea levels are rising but not at any rate which will soon cause massive flooding.
Is a "climate alarmist" similar to a "pandemic alarmist"? One could argue that either term has a built in bias.

In South Florida the sea level has risen 6 inches in the last 31 years. In several parts of the East Coast of Florida the sea level is rising as much as 1 inch every 3 years. Miami and Ft. Lauderdale are particularly vulnerable. Coastal flooding is the rule rather than the exception. Sea level rise even if it can't be 'seen' contributes to what is call a “force multiplier”: a combination of wind and high tides which eventually leads to severe flooding. Climate change cannot be idly dismissed with a wave of the hand. Last year the Washington Post published an article titled Sea level rise is combining with other factors to regularly flood Miami

I use to live in Fernandina Beach. I've seen A1A under water many times after a severe storm or high winds accompanied by high tides.

Here's a quote from the Fernandina's newspaper, [the] "News Leader" in February of this year.
"Projections are for a minimum sea-level rise of one to one-and-a-half feet by 2050 and a rise of up to six feet at Amelia Island by the end of the century. How quickly change occurs will depend on the overall acceleration rate of climate change. Adrienne Burke, Planning & Economic Opportunity director, said a measuring station in Mayport has recorded sea-level rise within the past 10 years equivalent to changes that occurred previously over a 100-year period."
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:35 PM   #47

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Telescopist-- did you / do you attend the Mason-Dixon Star Party? I used to go to that when I lived in Maryland, and I had fun.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:13 AM   #48

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Telescopist-- did you / do you attend the Mason-Dixon Star Party? I used to go to that when I lived in Maryland, and I had fun.
Hi Mike,
No it's weird but I never attended one of the star parties. However, I have observed from that site several times over the years. Unfortunately the night sky has really degraded. Cherry Springs State Park is the place to go! And this description.
The skies are some of the darkest in northeast. I wrote an article about the place 20 years ago for Amateur Astronomy Magazine.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:43 PM   #49

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post
I want to drive US20 end-to-end. I have pretty much done the Oregon part, but I want to do the rest. I've been to most of the states, but not the New England states (or Oklahoma), so after getting to Boston, we would hit the rest of those. Then we could do the maritime provinces and head home across Canada. I'm sure there are interesting things in Oklahoma, but that is one state I may have to miss, although I think a trip to Texas and the Big Bend area would be interesting. I could pick up Oklahoma then.
I rode my motorcycle from Mass. to my college in Wisconsin on 20 in the 70's. I now know that the original route has been modified. It would be nice to have the original route in a GPS.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 04:04 PM   #50

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
first escape 19 model
second escape 25' fifth wheel

oh wait first Hope I don't get covid, then the others things
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 04:24 PM   #51

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
I rode my motorcycle from Mass. to my college in Wisconsin on 20 in the 70's. I now know that the original route has been modified. It would be nice to have the original route in a GPS.
Wikipedia articles on the individual state sections of US20 have some information on route changes. I largely want to take it because it is the longest US highway, it ends in a region I haven't explored, and it goes reasonably close to both of my grandparents' homes - within 5 miles for my maternal grandparents. I would like to show Mary where my parents grew up.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote