Caballo Lake SP, NM - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2022, 06:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Caballo Lake SP, NM

Truth or Consequences, the town, is down I-25 roughly 200 miles away from the house. An old friend had an opening night there for his watercolors at a very nice gallery. Was a great opportunity to pull out the trailer for the weekend. We’ll camp, get outta Dodge, I’ll test my changed interior arrangements in the trailer, we’ll see his show, and of course on Saturday --what the heck, we will drive another 100 miles down to El Paso to see –The Wall. I wanted to write something on it.

Used Reserve America to get our campsite, at Caballo Lake State Park, Riverside Loop, beside the Percha Dam. Two nights in a pull through with hookups, $28 plus $8 service fee. This is about 16 miles south of T or C.

There actually are many private RV campsites all around the area. Also many oddball old trailers in yards, in all conditions. Made me think if I was 25 years younger here’s where I would go in search of buying a trailer rebuilding project. All stickies, though, so forget that. Saw only one egg, a Scamp at a gas station.

State Park facilities at Caballo are very well maintained. Clean, spacious, friendly. Also learned that the Riverside Loop area, for $4/night, they allow primitive campsites. All first come first served, no reservations. The lake is right there. Total boondockers should take note, looked like there is plenty of space for no hookups. You just show up and take your chances. We’ll be back.

Traffic at the Mexico border crossing was too intense for us. Just drove alongside the wall on 375 looking for a spot to pull over and do my thing at it. No joy. Could not find a place to get anywhere near what the government built. No, the wall was not leaning. We got home late, Sunday. No problems.
Attached Thumbnails
cabela11.jpg   CaballoPerch1A.jpg   CaballoPerch6.jpg   elPaso-wallXX.jpg  
Old 03-14-2022, 11:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 2012 E19
Myron, since you couldn't get close to the wall at El Paso, I bet you'd have better success getting close in South Dakota... at Wall Drug!