California to South Dakota and back again - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2017, 06:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
California to South Dakota and back again

My apologizes for not posting this sooner; however, maybe some of the information here might be of help to anyone planning a trip this year. Sorry it’s a little long.

In June 24, 2016, we traveled in our 19' for nearly three weeks from Santa Cruz CA to Rapid City, SD. In tow were our two oldest grandsons, ages 12 and 13. Headed out on the eight hour drive to the Winnemucca, NV, KOA. As you can imagine, it’s pretty flat and windy in Winnemucca; however, the staff at the KOA were great and the kids had fun riding the banana bikes and roasting S’mores.

Next day, headed east on I-80 to US-93 north. Five hours later, we were pulling into the Twin Fall/Jerome KOA for one night. We’ve stayed here several times and find the owners/staff extremely accommodating and the facility itself very clean. This KOA has all the amenities, including paddle boats out on their little lake. Be sure to watch the BASE jumpers off the Perrine Bridge.

Next morning, we took off for the Butte, MT, KOA. Pretty typical KOA including bikes you can rent to head out on the biking/walking trail which is next to the park.

On to Hardin, MT, KOA where we were staying for two nights. This KOA is close to one of the places on my ‘bucket list’, the Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument. We spent almost a full day at the Battlefield and it did not disappoint. Of course, it didn’t hurt that we were there two days after the 140 year anniversary of the battle (the week before had reenactments which would have been amazing to see). Just standing there, imagining what took place 140 years ago left you with a sense of awe and sadness. If you go, be sure to take in the Ranger talk ... ours was much better than the Crow-led tour. The KOA itself is run by a very sweet family; however, the park was suffering from extreme drought so water was at a premium. The small town of Hardin isn’t too far away.

We opted to drive I-90 east to Rapid City, SD, KOA rather than US-212. US-212 is slightly faster but we weren’t sure of the gas station situation along the way. We were staying six nights, using the KOA as our “base” to see the sights. The park is large with nice amenities but it is crowded. That said, we weren’t planning a lot of ‘park time’ so it worked out fine for us. (The boys did love the extra large pool!) Some of the sights we took in:

Devil’s Tower and Deadwood. Had we known how fantastic Deadwood was, we probably would have stayed at a park close by. As it was, we blew through Deadwood to go on to Devil’s Tower which was beautiful but, other than walk around the Tower (unless you wanted to climb it), we were done in a couple of hours. BTW, parking there is horrendous. They do have an area where you can park your trailer and walk up to the Tower but, if it’s hot, it can be a looong walk. Stopped at the Spearfish Rec and Aquatic Center (Spearfish, SD) on the way home where the boys had a blast. Plan several hours here.

Badlands. We spent an entire day, driving through the park, stopping to view the formations, visiting the Visitors Center and, of course, stopping in at Wall Drug.

Wind Cave. Took the three hour candlelight tour at Wind Cave Nat’l Park. Fantastic tour although if you have any mobility problems, think twice. I thought claustrophobia was going to be the issue – nope, it’s was the low ceilings (no hard hats) and the uneven footing (think deep holes and narrow, rock steps).

Custer State Park. Absolutely breathtaking. We took the Chuck wagon and Jeep Safari tours and everyone had a great time. Lots and lots of wildlife and the views were amazing. Great camping to be had in the park itself so check it out.

Reptile Gardens. It was a rainy day so not a lot of people which made it rather enjoyable. Plenty of slimy, creepy, crawly things.

Mt Rushmore. Amazing place and something everyone should see. I don’t recommend taking an RV in there ... it’s pretty crowded.

Crazy Horse. To be honest, the museum was the highlight for me. You can take a tour to get close to the site, but we felt we had all we needed to see at the museum and Visitor’s Center.

Journey Museum. Very close to the KOA inn Rapid City and a fantastic little museum. Sadly, not many people know about it and it’s amazing. You walk through time, exploring the prehistoric age up through modern times through large-scale dioramas, replicas of buildings, etc. We were there over three hours and were the only people in the museum.

Headed home via Cheyenne (KOA), three nights at the Salt Lake City KOA (good public transportation nearby and a nice park with lots of trees), unplanned stop in Winnemucca again (broken axle), Sparks, NV, (Sparks Marina RV Park), then home. Absolutely fabulous time.
Attached Thumbnails
11 Custer Battlefield.jpg   33 Mount Rushmore.jpg   43 Custer State Park.jpg   61 Devil's Tower.jpg  

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Thanks for the great trip report! Love that area but haven't been to everything there is to see there. Guess we have to go back!
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Sounds as if that was one incredible trip. I am sure that the grandsons will be talking about it forever.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:59 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Neat, neat! I've got some of these spots on my Bucket List. Now you've made me want to go sooner than later. Thanks for the terrific report
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:18 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Very nice trip summation. We well remember Ranger Adelson's dramatic description of events at the Little Big Horn Battlefield. It was absolutely riveting.
Attached Thumbnails
LiLBigH11.jpg   LiLBigH26.jpg  
Old 01-13-2017, 08:35 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
While riding my Harley, we have stayed in both Spearfish and Deadwood KOA's and watch the famous shootout on Main St there. Badlands KOA is also another favorite. With rooms being so expensive during Sturgis week, the KOA's offer a reasonable price and not too far away from the sights.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:13 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 ("Hotel California" -Aug 2017) Tow is 2016 GMC Canyon Duromax Diesel
Such helpful information action for a trip in that area! Thanks for posting !
Nrgtic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:41 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 19' 5/02/17
Many times on the bike though different campgrounds. I really enjoyed camping at the campground below Devils Tower. Great at sunrise and sunset. I'm also looking forward to camping, on the way home from picking up my 19 in June, at the badlands. Again mornings and evenings are fabulous.
bsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:30 PM   #9

Trailer: 2011 Escape 5.0; previous 2008 Escape 17'
Thanks for posting. Sounds like a wonderful trip and your experiences will be very helpful when we do our USA trip.

Thanks!
Conuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 04:56 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape
Thanks for describing the trip and the stops. But I have to ask...what axle broke and what was the fix?
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:10 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Try to make it to the Badlands when it is a full moon, it is like being on another planet. Also Yosemite has a special program during the full moon.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:01 AM   #12

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Sounds like a fabulous time... except for the broken axle. Can you tell us more about that?
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:47 PM   #13

It was the front axle on our Tundra (drivers side) ... which had been replaced before we left. Thankfully, we had stopped in Winnemucca for gas (had left Salt Lake on our way to Sparks) and, when we turned to get on the on ramp, the fun began. Stayed at the KOA that evening, and, the next morning, had the axle fixed at a repair shop which was amazing, Manzo's Garage. Thankfully, that and a cracked windshield were the only casualties ... and the axle was under warranty.

Jan

- Cesare Pavese
Old 01-14-2017, 02:52 PM   #14

We are definitely planning another trip to that area. So much we didn't see ... and so much we want to see again.

Jan

- Cesare Pavese