Campgrounds close to San Francisco - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2022, 07:23 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Campgrounds close to San Francisco

We are planning a trip from NJ to Montana, Californa and back. We'll be camping except for a few days in San Francisco where my husband has a four day meeting in the heart of the city. I'm figuring out where we can leave the trailer. Ideally we'd find someplace near public transportation into the city, but I'm open to any good ideas. I might just stay in the campground by myself but it would be nice to spend at least a little time in the city.
Old 11-19-2022, 08:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
We are planning a trip from NJ to Montana, Californa and back. We'll be camping except for a few days in San Francisco where my husband has a four day meeting in the heart of the city. I'm figuring out where we can leave the trailer. Ideally we'd find someplace near public transportation into the city, but I'm open to any good ideas. I might just stay in the campground by myself but it would be nice to spend at least a little time in the city.
Somewhere near transit is the big ask here. But there are options to research. Take a look at these (offered in no particular order):
  • San Francisco RV Resort
  • China Camp State Park
  • Samuel P. Taylor State Park
  • Olema Campground
  • Anthony Chabot Campground
  • Francis Beach Campground
  • Dumbarton Quarry Campground on the Bay

The only of these I have personal experience with are Samuel P. Taylor, China Camp, and though I've never stayed there Dumbarton Quarry (which is on a loop I frequently bicycle).
SteveSgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 09:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 5.0
The options are rather limited for what you seek...for many years now I've been living in Tahoe but needing to go down to SF for multi-day visits, usually for work. Not sure what kind of tow vehicle you have, but I can tell you from experience that driving a large truck into the city is not great. Long story short, the best arrangement I've found is staying in Marin and taking the ferry in, which puts you right downtown at the Ferry Building. Specifically, there's a couple decent RV parks in Greenbrae, very close to the Larkspur Ferry. The parks themselves are just ok (think urban RV parks, not woodsy campgrounds), but the locations are great and they are near lots of natural areas to enjoy, as well as all the city stuff you could want. And the ferry ride is one of the more beautiful commutes in the world...you can even ride your bikes to the ferry terminal, and take them with you on the ferry if you want! One is Golden Gate Trailer Park and the other is Marin RV Park, either will work for this purpose...
Old 11-19-2022, 09:43 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
These are all very helpful; Thank you! I will check them out.
Old 11-20-2022, 07:21 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Maybe, while there, you can find my "Heart" that was left there, years ago.......
Old 11-20-2022, 06:58 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Olema Campground

Several years ago (2016?) we spent a week at Olema Campground (10155 Highway 1, Olema, CA 94950). We used it as a base of operations while visiting some friends and seeing several sights in the Bay Area: Rosie the Riveter museum, Eugene O'Neil house, John Muir House, etc. It was a nice campground, and my recollection is that the price was reasonable. It is convenient to both Point Reyes and Muir Woods.
Old 11-20-2022, 08:48 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I stayed in Olema for a week in February 2020. They have a lower winter rate that ends on March 1, I think. I liked the campground. I ended up not going into the city on this trip.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 04:57 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Maybe, while there, you can find my "Heart" that was left there, years ago.......
And my bowl of Rice-aroni
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 01:39 PM   #9

Trailer: 21' Escape Trailer (June 2018)
Ever been to Coyote Point county park? Just 4 RV sites on a parking lot right on SF Bay (and a flight path). Park is locked at night. Bike path north and south along bay.
Bob in Bend is offline   Reply With Quote