Campgrounds in Jasper and Banff - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Campgrounds in Jasper and Banff

Here is a list of campsites in the Jasper and Banff area I ran across.
Alberta Canada Campgrounds

Anyone have any hidden gems that they would suggest. We will probably be spending 5-6 days there after picking up our Escape in September. Jim Bennett already suggested Wilcox creek so that is on our list.

Thanks,
Brenda
Old 08-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
When I go to the parks it's with a specific adventure in mind. I then pick the campground closest to where I'll be. I don't tend to spend a lot of time in the campgrounds. That said they're all beautiful with a lot of space for each camping site. The ones nearest Banff and Jasper townsites tend to be the noisiest but not bad. The ones along Hwy 1 can be noisy with a lot of trains passing by in the night. Also note that some are not serviced but do allow trailers less than 23' (I think, double check to be sure). If you do want a serviced site you'd best reserve ahead of time as they're usually fully booked.

If you want more specific recommendations it would be helpful to know:
- do you plan to stay in the parks or are you looking for recommendations outside the parks too?
- serviced or not?
- what are you planning to do/see?
bpjod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:08 AM   #3

This will be our first time in the Canadian Rockies and we know there is so much to see and do. In revisiting out trip itinerary we may actually have 6-7 days in the area. We plan to do some hiking, photography, general site seeing and R&R. For those of you that have been there what are some of your favorite things to see, trails to hike, etc? What would be some things for first timers to do and see in addition to Lake Louise and Icefields highway? We were thinking about setting up camp a few nights in the Jasper area and then a few nights in the Banff area, rather than one base camp somewhere in between and making longer day trips. Does this make sense? We would prefer camping further out of town for the solitude, preferably in a serviced site but could manage without services for part of the time.

Brenda
Old 08-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #4

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
My wife and I hike in the Icefields and Jasper area and plan to take our new trailer there in September. We like to hike Parker Ridge near the Icefields, Edith Cavell meadows and plan to hike Mt Wilcox. These are popular hikes in the area requiring some fitness to get up and down. Kenny Lake trail at Mt Robson is nice as well and can be done in a day up to the campground at the lake and back.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1126.jpg  
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrn56 View Post
... We were thinking about setting up camp a few nights in the Jasper area and then a few nights in the Banff area, rather than one base camp somewhere in between and making longer day trips. Does this make sense? ...
It is actually quite a long drive from town of Banff to town of Jasper and the Icefields Parkway can get quite busy with traffic at some times during the year. Your idea of staying a few nights near each (Banff/Jasper) is probably best as it will significantly reduce your commuting times each day and allow you more time to enjoy the attractions of each area.

I personally love the Icefields Parkway area and could spend a whole vacation along this section just soaking up the views. Keep in mind that even if you go in summer, the high mountain parks can have quite unpredictable weather and you should be prepared for a range of conditions (hot, cold, wet, dry).

Enjoy your trip.

dave

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #6

Icefields parkway is fantastic. I posted a grizzly picture a few weeks ago: that was taken roadside on the parkway. Hmmm... might have been fiberglassrv.com where I posted the picture.

A favourite hike of mine is Johnson Canyon up to the paint pots, out of Banff.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #7

Trailer: 2012 15-A
I second Wilcox Campground on the Icefields Parkway. Spectacular with some great hiking and lots of wildlife..
Scott
Kćrnehuset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #8

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions! I'm researching, bookmarking and getting excited!

Brenda
Old 08-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
Icefields parkway is fantastic. I posted a grizzly picture a few weeks ago: that was taken roadside on the parkway. Hmmm... might have been fiberglassrv.com where I posted the picture.

A favourite hike of mine is Johnson Canyon up to the paint pots, out of Banff.
One of my favorite places in the Rockies is Moraine Lake/ Valley of the Ten Peaks, just about 14 km outside Lake Louise Village. The famous view really is spectacular!

I'd also recommend taking the Columbia Icefield tour (http://www.explorerockies.com/columbia-icefield/); it can be a bit chilly up there on the glacier, even in the summer, but it's well worth it.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House"), 2012 Nissan Frontier
cathyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #10

(btw, Edith Cavell, as in Edith Cavell meadows mentioned by gharper, was cathyb's first cousin 3 times removed...)

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:37 AM   #11

Trailer: 2012 15A
Sulphur Mountain hike out of Meitte Hot Springs to the east of Jasper is a very nice hike to do with spectacular 360 degree views of the surrounding mountain peaks. The peak elev. is 2,050 metres (6,725 ft). Can be cold up there at that elev. and the last half or so of the distance is quite steep. You could go for a dip in the hot springs after the hike.

Another area close to Banff is the Kananaskis area. Provincial Park so the National Park pass is not required. There are some great hikes in that area as well as hikes further south along Hwy 40. Incredible mountains throughout the area. This may require more time than what you have available. Nice camp sites in Kananaskis Park but I don't think any of them have hook ups, there may be one that does.

Perhaps you could use Hwy 40, 22 and 6 as a route back to the USA after you leave Banff? Hwy 22 and 6 takes you to Waterton Lakes which is part of Glacier National Park. From there you could head into Montana.

One advantage of Sept. is the mosquitoes should be gone and the crowds are less. Some camp sites, or portions of them start to close in Sept. so be sure to check the dates.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:36 AM   #12

Lake O'Hara

Actually in Yoho NP, Lake O'Hara has some of the best hiking in the area. It is near Lake Louise. You will want to check it out online soon, because you will need a reservation for the bus that shuttles hikers down the 8 mile road to the lake, and the many trails that leave from there. Its especially beautiful when the Larch trees are turning color.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0273small .jpg  
SeldomSeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #13

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Jasper

While not a hike or a camp ground , we would recommend the boat tour on Maligne Lake - it is spectacular . Lots of places to hike enroute up to the lake. No shortage of photo ops at the Whistlers Campground either .
Attached Thumbnails
P1070444.JPG   P1070456.JPG   P1070294.JPG   P1070496.JPG  
Old 08-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Maligne Lake is beautiful.

In September 2011 we canoed the length of it. The tour boats only go halfway, to Spirit Island, and the scenery beyond that is......well, just WOW. Seriously, I continued to say "wow" every minute or so as we canoed along it. Totally breathtaking, we are hoping to do that again this September.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Maligne Lake is beautiful.

In September 2011 we canoed the length of it. The tour boats only go halfway, to Spirit Island, and the scenery beyond that is......well, just WOW. Seriously, I continued to say "wow" every minute or so as we canoed along it. Totally breathtaking, we are hoping to do that again this September.
Now how did we not see your escape somewhere , that's exactly when we were in the area ?
Old 08-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Our canoe trip was Sep 15-18, 2011. Our Escape was left at home. Too hard to tow behind a canoe, or we sure would have done it.

Here is a shot of my paddle mates from the trip. Methinks you will recognize them, Gabi.

BTW, our dogs name is Jasper, in part named for Jasper National Park.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Our canoe trip was Sep 15-18, 2011. Our Escape was left at home. Too hard to tow behind a canoe, or we sure would have done it.

Here is a shot of my paddle mates from the trip. Methinks you will recognize them, Gabi.

BTW, our dogs name is Jasper, in part named for Jasper National Park.
Wow .... that is an awesome photo !!! ..... but .... um ....how come Lisa is doing all the work ?
Old 08-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #18

"Hall of the Gods " they call it .
Old 08-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #19

We are starting to say Wow and we haven't even left yet!

Thanks for all the great tips.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0 "Day Break"
Smart dog!!!! I get the next ride.... what a beautiful place. Gotta go there some day!
itoddday is offline   Reply With Quote