Camping Along the Eastern Seaboard - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2020, 07:38 PM   #21

Trailer: na
northern maine, NH and VTs northeast kingdom are all remote and beautiful. Head to Moosehead lake and hit the paper company roads and you will find remoteness akin to Bob Marshall wilderness
ucancallmejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:45 PM   #22

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Many beautiful areas in the northeast...PA, NY, VT, NH, ME...but don’t rule out NJ. The Pine Barrens National Reserve covers 1.1 million acres (22% of the state) of which 570,000 acres are protected. Somewhat surprising is the fact that this is the largest undeveloped area on the mid-Atlantic seaboard between Richmond and Boston. Many nice areas to camp both state and private. Private will be crowded in summer and the more primitive state campgrounds that accommodate RV’s (21-22 feet max) will have no hook-ups. Unhitch the trailer and explore many of the Jeep trails. Don’t venture off the main roads without 4WD.

https://www.nj.gov/pinelands/reserve/
https://pinelandsalliance.org/explor...-pine-barrens/

The campground shot is Atsion Lake Campground site #10. My back is to the lake about 10 feet away. Hard site to get on a weekend in the summer. Midweek no problem.
Attached Thumbnails
9ABFFF10-743B-47A5-B75D-0A1215154E58.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2020, 08:58 PM   #23

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The North Maine Woods back country sites... $12 pp access fee, $15 pp camping fee, plus 9% tax, per night.

Haven't been there for a while, but one of our favorite CG's is Cobscook Bay State Park in northern ME, as is the provincial park just over the border on Campabollo. Last I knew you could take ferrrys and island hop from Campobello to the mainland of CA, it was a pretty cool trip. Never stayed there but on Deer Island (one of the ferry islands) there is a campground overlooking the Old Sow whirlpool.

Letchworth SP is interesting if you go near Niagara Falls. The Lake Carmel SP in northern VT is a really nice area and out in the boonies. Champlain Adult CG on the VT side of lake Champlain is in an interesting area, real nice road biking around the island. Right near a ferry to NY. The Adirondacks are nice, many SP's available there. Lake Placid and Saranac Lake are neat towns to walk around in.

Steven C Foster SP in the middle of the Okefenokee swamp was an interesting place, the campground itself was okay, new bathhouses were going in in January.

I've not been to any of these in the summer so can't comment on how they'd when crowded.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:21 PM   #24

Trailer: 2020 19’ Still Long Gone
Also Button Bay State Park in VT, right on Lake Champlain. Gorgeous.
outwiththedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 10:00 PM   #25

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucancallmejay View Post
northern maine, NH and VTs northeast kingdom are all remote and beautiful. Head to Moosehead lake and hit the paper company roads and you will find remoteness akin to Bob Marshall wilderness
Wow! This is terrific! I'm adding Moosehead Lake and the surrounding environs to my files, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Many beautiful areas in the northeast...PA, NY, VT, NH, ME...but don’t rule out NJ. The Pine Barrens National Reserve covers 1.1 million acres (22% of the state) of which 570,000 acres are protected. Somewhat surprising is the fact that this is the largest undeveloped area on the mid-Atlantic seaboard between Richmond and Boston. Many nice areas to camp both state and private. Private will be crowded in summer and the more primitive state campgrounds that accommodate RV’s (21-22 feet max) will have no hook-ups. Unhitch the trailer and explore many of the Jeep trails. Don’t venture off the main roads without 4WD.

https://www.nj.gov/pinelands/reserve/
https://pinelandsalliance.org/explor...-pine-barrens/

The campground shot is Atsion Lake Campground site #10. My back is to the lake about 10 feet away. Hard site to get on a weekend in the summer. Midweek no problem.
I'm discounting nothing and am so glad I solicited advice on this topic! I had no idea that so many undeveloped areas remained in the northeast, but your info and photos make clear that one need only seek! I'm going to search the Internet for all possibilities in the states you mentioned. Blessings and thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
The North Maine Woods back country sites... $12 pp access fee, $15 pp camping fee, plus 9% tax, per night.

Haven't been there for a while, but one of our favorite CG's is Cobscook Bay State Park in northern ME, as is the provincial park just over the border on Campabollo. Last I knew you could take ferrrys and island hop from Campobello to the mainland of CA, it was a pretty cool trip. Never stayed there but on Deer Island (one of the ferry islands) there is a campground overlooking the Old Sow whirlpool.

Letchworth SP is interesting if you go near Niagara Falls. The Lake Carmel SP in northern VT is a really nice area and out in the boonies. Champlain Adult CG on the VT side of lake Champlain is in an interesting area, real nice road biking around the island. Right near a ferry to NY. The Adirondacks are nice, many SP's available there. Lake Placid and Saranac Lake are neat towns to walk around in.

Steven C Foster SP in the middle of the Okefenokee swamp was an interesting place, the campground itself was okay, new bathhouses were going in in January.

I've not been to any of these in the summer so can't comment on how they'd when crowded.
Bob, my heart's absolutely racing at the thought of what's ahead for me in the northeast! I love traveling by ferry and had no idea that FDR's beloved Campobello was just over the border in Canada. I'll have to figure out my best passport entry route, and your post has me thinking again of bringing my bike along. If I don't get that far north this year because of the late start, (likely another month of isolation, maybe more?) I'll have much to look forward to next year. It's clear from all of the responses thus far that the long trek from Houston will be well worth the time taken to get there. And, of course, there's joy to be found in the journey. Thanks so much!

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 10:56 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by outwiththedogs View Post
Also Button Bay State Park in VT, right on Lake Champlain. Gorgeous.
Adding it to my list, thanks!

Old 04-26-2020, 08:31 AM   #27
gbb

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Our last camping trip before the virus storm hit.
https://gastateparks.org/CrookedRiver/ Few miles off of I 95 and a few miles from the coast. Between Savannah Ga and Jacksonville Fl. Very nice campground that is close and convenient to one of our favorite places: Cumberland Island National Seashore
https://www.nationalparks.org/explor...ional-seashore
We had a great time there in early March; a day on Cumberland, a day exploring Amelia Island (which has a couple of nice campgrounds) a day at Okefenokee National Wildlife refuge, and a couple days just bumming around locally. At that time we had a trip planned every month through November. Oh well hope we will be camping again soon.
gbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 01:08 PM   #28

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Our favorite is Assateaque Island State Park (Maryland). It's a few miles below Ocean City on a barrier island. You camp right near the beach. There is one loop with hook ups, but most sights are dry camping. Every other loop has a nice bath house with hot showers, dish washing, etc. The island actually has 2 parks, the southernmost park is national seashore. We've never camped at the national park.
Map: http://npmaps.com/wp-content/uploads...-inset-map.pdf
The bugs can be a challenge. The storms in hurricane season are a problem sometimes. Despite the downsides, we keep coming back, perhaps 20 nights a season for the last 30 years. Highly recommended.
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:28 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbb View Post
Our last camping trip before the virus storm hit.
https://gastateparks.org/CrookedRiver/ Few miles off of I 95 and a few miles from the coast. Between Savannah Ga and Jacksonville Fl. Very nice campground that is close and convenient to one of our favorite places: Cumberland Island National Seashore
https://www.nationalparks.org/explor...ional-seashore
We had a great time there in early March; a day on Cumberland, a day exploring Amelia Island (which has a couple of nice campgrounds) a day at Okefenokee National Wildlife refuge, and a couple days just bumming around locally. At that time we had a trip planned every month through November. Oh well hope we will be camping again soon.
Thanks for these lovely suggestions, Buddy! Because of Covid-19 and the late (and later) start, I’ll likely skip Florida at the beginning of any trip I make this summer but can see myself heading there from Houston in late fall, early spring, or winter, as my daughter’s been talking about visiting Disney again. After a quick trip there, I can see driving up the coastline through St. Augustine and then on to Cumberland Island for a relaxing time.

I see that you’re from NC, the state where I was born and lived most of my life. I’m missing the gorgeous spring I generally get to experience but hope everything's blooming for you along those lush green, rolling hills!

Blessings – and stay safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
Our favorite is Assateaque Island State Park (Maryland). It's a few miles below Ocean City on a barrier island. You camp right near the beach. There is one loop with hook ups, but most sights are dry camping. Every other loop has a nice bath house with hot showers, dish washing, etc. The island actually has 2 parks, the southernmost park is national seashore. We've never camped at the national park.
Map: http://npmaps.com/wp-content/uploads...-inset-map.pdf The bugs can be a challenge. The storms in hurricane season are a problem sometimes. Despite the downsides, we keep coming back, perhaps 20 nights a season for the last 30 years. Highly recommended.
I’m so glad you’ve recommended a Maryland site, as I’ll need stops in every state if I’m to make it all the way up to Canada, whether this year or next. For several years, my sister and BIL enjoyed vacations at an Ocean City beach house. It'll be neat to camp near there, and my sis and bro may even want to share that part of the trip with me, which would be fun. She never said anything about bugs, but I'll be sure to take the necessary precautions.

Thanks!

Old 04-29-2020, 04:41 PM   #30

Trailer: 2011 Casita SD 17 Sold July 2016: 2015 Escape 21 Aug 2016
A Few Recommendations

Hi Ava,

Our younger son has been a Ph.D. candidate at Rice University the last several years so we’ve made the trip from Tallahassee to Houston in a number of configurations, and can make a few recommendations that may be on one or more of your routes:

Clear Springs Campground, Homochitto NF
Turkey Fork Recreation Area, east of Hattiesburg, MS
Open Pond Campground, Conecuh NF
And I second Fudge Brownie’s recommendation of East Bank Campground (COE) on Lake Seminole just north of Chattahoochee, FL.

North from the last, there are several COE campgrounds on other lakes that are part of the Chattahoochee River, western boundary of Georgia. I can recommend R. Schaeffer Heard, Whitetail Ridge, and Holiday Campgrounds, all on West Point Lake north of Columbus GA.

Farther north McKinney Campground on Lake Alatoona, near Cartersville, GA is very nice. It is an hour or so northwest of Atlanta.

Also, the Natchez Trace Parkway is a pleasant drive that might be easy to incorporate into your trip toward the northeast. Rock Springs Trail Campground near the southern end, where we had planned to stay, was neglected and rundown, so not a good choice. However, Davis Lake Campground near Tupelo, MS is quite nice.

The Cumberland Plateau area of central Tennessee is very pretty. It has a fair amount of elevation change, but mostly rolling and shouldn’t be a problem. We stayed at Poole Knobs Campground SE of Nashville on the way there. It was very nice; dense canopy, sheltered sites with good separation including many on the water. Also stayed at Ragland Bottoms on the Plateau. Both are COE sites. Ragland Bottoms was not as nice as Poole Knobs, but perfectly acceptable for an overnight. Fall Creek Falls State Park might be a better choice if you want to stay longer.

A final recommendation may be borderline for your condition, but I will offer it with caveats: Indian Boundary Lake Recreation Area, Cherokee NF, east of Tellico Plains, TN. Tellico Plains is on the western edge of the Blue Ridge Mountains, but my memory is that coming from the west you get to it with only rolling terrain.

The campground is about 15 miles further east from there off of highway 165, the scarily named Cherohala Skyway. You might want to check with someone in Tellico Plains to confirm that the route to the campground will be doable for you. It is at about 1500 feet elevation, but again, my memory is that the drive to it from Tellico Plains while constantly climbing is never particularly steep and without precipitous vistas or overlooks. The campground is on a small (96 acre) lake with a hiking trail all the way around. There are two absolutely beautiful drives easily accessible from there: the Tellico River Road, a small paved road running 15-18 miles up the Tellico River. Again a fair amount of elevation gain, but the road is in the valley right next to the river and not steep. There are several limited amenity campgrounds along the river. The second drive is along Citico Creek, a mostly unpaved but good condition road following the creek. Several primitive campsites/areas along the creek.

All but the last of these recommendations have been overnight stops for us, but almost all are nice enough to warrant longer stays. Indian Boundary, if doable for you, is worth a leisurely week.

Hope these help in your planning.

Paul
a602pmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 12:11 PM   #31

Trailer: 2001 Coleman
Don't forget Chincoteague and assateague island, Maryland. The state park and the national seashore. Definitely NOT primitive camping but c'mon, wild ponies running through your campsite!? Maybe a quick trip through Washington ? There's also a beautiful campground in NY for your consideration. Letchworth State Park, nicknamed "The Grand Canyon" of the east, is located along the Genessee River. Kinda touristy so it depends what your looking for. New York is laden with gems of beautiful state campgrounds that you might find to your liking.
paulmric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 12:58 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Welcome Paul of Rhode Island, to our little Escape world. Which Escape are you interested in and tell us about your tow vehicle. There are plenty of Escapes in northeast, if you want to tour one, contact the factory for names & numbers.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:56 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Brightday,
If you do venture into New Brunswick, Canada there is a neat cg not too far from the border in New Brunswick that is accessible only by ferry. It was our first Escape ferry trip Hardings Point Campground Official Site - Welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1384.jpg   IMG_1394.jpg   IMG_1381.jpg  
Old 05-07-2020, 09:55 AM   #34

Thanks, Paul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a602pmcc View Post
Hi Ava,

Our younger son has been a Ph.D. candidate at Rice University the last several years so we’ve made the trip from Tallahassee to Houston in a number of configurations, and can make a few recommendations that may be on one or more of your routes:

Clear Springs Campground, Homochitto NF
Turkey Fork Recreation Area, east of Hattiesburg, MS
Open Pond Campground, Conecuh NF
And I second Fudge Brownie’s recommendation of East Bank Campground (COE) on Lake Seminole just north of Chattahoochee, FL.

North from the last, there are several COE campgrounds on other lakes that are part of the Chattahoochee River, western boundary of Georgia. I can recommend R. Schaeffer Heard, Whitetail Ridge, and Holiday Campgrounds, all on West Point Lake north of Columbus GA.

Farther north McKinney Campground on Lake Alatoona, near Cartersville, GA is very nice. It is an hour or so northwest of Atlanta.

Also, the Natchez Trace Parkway is a pleasant drive that might be easy to incorporate into your trip toward the northeast. Rock Springs Trail Campground near the southern end, where we had planned to stay, was neglected and rundown, so not a good choice. However, Davis Lake Campground near Tupelo, MS is quite nice.

The Cumberland Plateau area of central Tennessee is very pretty. It has a fair amount of elevation change, but mostly rolling and shouldn’t be a problem. We stayed at Poole Knobs Campground SE of Nashville on the way there. It was very nice; dense canopy, sheltered sites with good separation including many on the water. Also stayed at Ragland Bottoms on the Plateau. Both are COE sites. Ragland Bottoms was not as nice as Poole Knobs, but perfectly acceptable for an overnight. Fall Creek Falls State Park might be a better choice if you want to stay longer.

A final recommendation may be borderline for your condition, but I will offer it with caveats: Indian Boundary Lake Recreation Area, Cherokee NF, east of Tellico Plains, TN. Tellico Plains is on the western edge of the Blue Ridge Mountains, but my memory is that coming from the west you get to it with only rolling terrain.

The campground is about 15 miles further east from there off of highway 165, the scarily named Cherohala Skyway. You might want to check with someone in Tellico Plains to confirm that the route to the campground will be doable for you. It is at about 1500 feet elevation, but again, my memory is that the drive to it from Tellico Plains while constantly climbing is never particularly steep and without precipitous vistas or overlooks. The campground is on a small (96 acre) lake with a hiking trail all the way around. There are two absolutely beautiful drives easily accessible from there: the Tellico River Road, a small paved road running 15-18 miles up the Tellico River. Again a fair amount of elevation gain, but the road is in the valley right next to the river and not steep. There are several limited amenity campgrounds along the river. The second drive is along Citico Creek, a mostly unpaved but good condition road following the creek. Several primitive campsites/areas along the creek.

All but the last of these recommendations have been overnight stops for us, but almost all are nice enough to warrant longer stays. Indian Boundary, if doable for you, is worth a leisurely week.

Hope these help in your planning.

Paul
Bless you, Paul! You’ve graciously provided me with detailed information and sites at higher elevations that someone who fears heights might realistically consider! I’m adding every place you’ve mentioned to my list and plotting routes that include them in the hope that I may visit (or at least attempt to visit) each one – as soon as campgrounds in each state I’ll need to pass through are open again. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience with me!

Wishing you safe and happy travels!

Old 05-07-2020, 10:10 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmric View Post
Don't forget Chincoteague and assateague island, Maryland. The state park and the national seashore. Definitely NOT primitive camping but c'mon, wild ponies running through your campsite!? Maybe a quick trip through Washington ? There's also a beautiful campground in NY for your consideration. Letchworth State Park, nicknamed "The Grand Canyon" of the east, is located along the Genessee River. Kinda touristy so it depends what your looking for. New York is laden with gems of beautiful state campgrounds that you might find to your liking.
State park, national seashore, island, and wild ponies!!! Yes! Love, love, love the photos of Letchworth, but its higher elevations may prove to be a bit too challenging in person. I am looking forward to visiting sites in upper-state NY and may actually get there this summer if campgrounds along my route continue to open up.

Thanks, Paul!

Old 05-07-2020, 10:16 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Brightday,
If you do venture into New Brunswick, Canada there is a neat cg not too far from the border in New Brunswick that is accessible only by ferry. It was our first Escape ferry trip Hardings Point Campground Official Site - Welcome!
Thanks, Jim! By the time I've traveled that far north, I'll likely be grateful for the many amenities this lovely campground provides!

Old 05-07-2020, 12:17 PM   #37

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If you close your eyes, you won't know how high you are.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:44 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
If you close your eyes, you won't know how high you are.
If only I could!

Old 05-07-2020, 03:54 PM   #39

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Your uncomfort with heights precludes my favorite state park, at least a hike along the 22 waterfalls. Ricketts Glen State Park in PA is beautiful. They do have a relatively flat section including a lake, and trails that don't run along the falls, so it could still be a stop.

If you start at the bottom at the PA 118 parking lot, you can walk along the stream for a mile or so before you hit the first waterfall, and see it from the bottom.

Dry camping with lots of shade in most sites, and bathrooms with showers.

A map and some photos from my visits.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:17 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Your uncomfort with heights precludes my favorite state park, at least a hike along the 22 waterfalls. Ricketts Glen State Park in PA is beautiful. They do have a relatively flat section including a lake, and trails that don't run along the falls, so it could still be a stop.

If you start at the bottom at the PA 118 parking lot, you can walk along the stream for a mile or so before you hit the first waterfall, and see it from the bottom.

Dry camping with lots of shade in most sites, and bathrooms with showers.

A map and some photos from my visits.
I so admire your photographs and much appreciate the lengths (and heights) you traversed in order to take them, Jon. One can feel ones self right there. I hate having to forego so many lovely experiences due to this dratted fear of heights but am fortunate that the vivid imagination that often got me into trouble as a child now comes to the rescue, making photos come alive. I also appreciate the many virtual trips I've been able to make via Youtube during this period of isolation when I'm itching to head north. I'll keep Ricketts Glen State Park in mind against the day if/when heights no longer seem so formidable. Maybe twin sister Eva, imagined at four years of age (to my older brothers' delight and horror), will one day reappear to help me out.