Camping near Sequim and Oak Harbor - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2019, 10:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19'
Camping near Sequim and Oak Harbor

Hi folks,

Background: We will be picking up our 19 in early August. Because of work commitments, we won't have time for a leisurely trip home to Portland, OR, so it's basically going to be a long weekend. This is our first trailer. We'd like to camp where (1) we can pull through and (2) there are hookups, so that we can familiarize ourselves with the systems. In sum, we need EASY. On our way home, we will be heading to Sequim, WA, (by way of the ferry from Coupeville to Port Townsend) so that we can take trailer lessons, which we will need in order to learn how to back the trailer into our driveway when we get home.

Camping on the US side: On our first night, we plan to camp at The Cedars in Ferndale, WA, or somewhere else if others have better ideas. We want to minimize drive time, so that we can take our time getting familiar with our new trailer on that first night. Any recommendations for nice campgrounds between Sumas, WA and Oak Harbor with hook ups and pull throughs?

Camping near Sequim, WA: We're meeting up with our trailer instructor in/near Sequim for two days of lessons. I know some of you have visited or live near Sequim. Any suggestions for nice RV parks or county campgrounds that might work for us?

Thank you!

Merrill
Merry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:07 AM   #2

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
There are two campgrounds super close to Sequim: Dungeness County Park and Sequim Bay State Park. We really like Dungeness. I don’t recall pull throughs at either, however. Farther to the west, a bit past Port Angeles, Salt Creek County CG is beautiful and does have some pull throughs. But the best campground near(ish) to Sequim, in my opinion, is Fort Worden in Port Townsend, which also has pull throughs. Without reservations in August camp sites at any of these will be difficult. Odds are better during the week. I’d strongly recommend trying to get reservations, particularly as you’re after the even more limited pull through options. Oh, in a pinch there are also sites at the Jefferson County Fairgrounds in Port Townsend, but I’d only stay there in an emergency, and at Point Hudson, right on the water in downtown Port Townsend - gorgeous. Anything in PT is about 45 minutes from Sequim.

Look into either the Allstays or the Ultimate Campground apps if you have a smartphone. Either will make finding campgrounds easy and straightforward.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:13 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
In Sequim , John Wayne Marina has pull throughs, gravel roads, full hook ups. That would make it easier, nice people there. Our favorite is Gilgal Oasis RV park in downtown Sequim, extremely clean, blacktop, drawback it is smaller, and even though they have pull throughs they use them primarily for larger RV 's. The thing that will make it easy for you here is they have have hosts that always help you back in and owners that live on site that are involved in helping also. Can't wait to go back there again!!! Enjoy your Escape, we have for past year and a half!!!
franksuzy2gether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19'
Thanks for the input you guys - this has been very helpful! I'm going to add all of these options to our future camping list for when we are up in the area!
Merry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:45 AM   #5

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Thanks for the input you guys - this has been very helpful! I'm going to add all of these options to our future camping list for when we are up in the area!
Another option - Harvest Hosts.
Purple Haze Lavendar Farm in Sequim is a member of HH , a beautiful place with great people!
Sherm2954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:20 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
We made the same trip in early May after picking up our 21. Crossing at Sumas was a painfully slow 2 hour affair. We then traveled down 9 all the way to 20 and crossed under I5 at Burlington. On this First day I I wasn’t ready for Interstate madness so we choose these back roads. We stayed at a very nice RV park near Anacortes call Pioneer Trails RV park. The place is huge and with full hookups and drive through slots. There we spent hours loading the trailer with all the boxed up supplies we had brought. The next morning we drove 60 minutes (including waiting for a draw bridge) to catch the ferry at Fort Casey.
Have fun...you’ll be great at backing in no time at all!
rlavine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Sheep"; 2003 Toyota Tundra "Shep"; 2017 Aussie "Cody"
Please let me know who your instructor is - I have thought of taking lessons from the driving school next door to Escape before taking it home to Oak Harbor, but I don't know if it can be arranged. Just the thought of taking it on a ferry before I have a lesson makes me shiver!

I'm picking up my 19' on August 23.
Farmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmgirl View Post
Please let me know who your instructor is - I have thought of taking lessons from the driving school next door to Escape before taking it home to Oak Harbor, but I don't know if it can be arranged. Just the thought of taking it on a ferry before I have a lesson makes me shiver!

I'm picking up my 19' on August 23.

Ferries are super easy. Drive straight on. Stop where they tell you to. Wait til they tell you to start your engine (lots of people mess this part up and fumigate everyone else). Drive straight off. Easy peasy.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:17 PM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Ferries are super easy. Drive straight on. Stop where they tell you to. Wait til they tell you to start your engine (lots of people mess this part up and fumigate everyone else). Drive straight off. Easy peasy.
In 46 years of driving on ferries no one has EVER directed me when to start my car engine (including when I was first in line). Just don't do it before the car ahead of you.

Ferries are easy though, you don't have to back up. Get a reservation and get there in time and (as the sign says at Coupeville) don't clip the side of the building after you get your ticket. And if you aren't sure about grounding out (low clearance at the hitch) avoid extreme low tides.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:36 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
In 46 years of driving on ferries no one has EVER directed me when to start my car engine (including when I was first in line). Just don't do it before the car ahead of you.
A good rule of thumb: and if you are near the front and can see the deck hands, wait until they have tied the ferry off with the lines before starting your engine. If too far back to see them, follow Bobbie's advice.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post

It’s when they point at you and wave you forward. Or the car in front of you starts to move.

It bugs the crap out of me when people way back in the lineup start up far too early, creating a noxious cloud in a semi-enclosed space, despite being surrounded by signage that plainly states, “DO NOT START ENGINE UNTIL DIRECTED BY THE CREW”.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post

Oh, one other thing: Be sure to turn your propane off at the cylinders before you board the ferry. Usually you have plenty of time to do this after you get to the dock before you load, if you haven’t done it prior.

Tags
campgrounds, ferndale, sequim