Canada 150 Cross Country - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2017, 09:20 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Too bad about the foot. Hope it's better by the time the good weather arrives.

Mine's a more no-name bike. The local importer calls it a Sidekick Ultralite. But the specs are pretty good and it's perfect for our use. I was sort of tempted to go the fat tire route but this one is more suitable for our needs.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:55 AM   #22

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Sounds great have fun with it. it's hard to hop around on one leg not much I can do so many projects / things to do now that the weather is finally improving
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:35 AM   #23

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
This looks like them http://alteregobikes.com/online-stor...419/category=0
Old 04-10-2017, 06:26 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
My plan is to dip my foot into the Pacific before taking delivery of my yet-to-be named 19, Osoyoos and then a meander back to Ottawa. I want to camp in the area and perhaps southern Quebec before heading for Nova Scotia in August-September. Coast to coast is the objective.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:47 AM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Are reservations needed and/or available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguezc View Post
Hi Ron,
We are picking up out 19' on May 23rd and slowly meander back to Montreal. Here are the stops on our way back:
Hotel in Chlliwack, BC
Cultus Lake Provincial Park (BC)
Monck Provincial Park, BC
Dutch Lake Resort, BC (Clearwater)
Robson Provincial Park, BC (Valemount)
Jasper, AB (Wapiti Campground)
Banff, AB (Tunnel Mountain village 1 Campground)
Waterton Lakes National Park, AB (Townsite Campground)
Medicine Hat, AB (Gas City Campground)
Regina, SK (King Acres Campground)
Riding Mountain National Park, MB (Administration Office)
Whiteshell Provincial Park, Falcon Lakeshore Campground, MB
Aaron Provincial Park, ON (Kenora)
Sleeping Giant Provincial Park, ON
Neys Provincial Park, ON
Lake Superior, Agawa Bay, ON
Chutes Provincial Park, ON
Montreal

Back home on June 23rd (knock on wood). Total 5383 kms.

We're thinking of making the reverse of your trip in late summer/early fall 2017. Will reservations be needed? Would they still be available? We'd very much like to ad-lib our way across.

Thanks,

David
D&R_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:59 AM   #26

For BC, from the May 24th weekend to Labor Day it's just about impossible to get a spot in the popular Provincial Parks. Before and after that, when school's in session, there's usually some space on a first-come, first-serve basis. So it's more risky in the middle of the summer not to have a Plan B.

Sometimes it's a bit of a gamble. Except for rest stops we've never had to sleep at the side of the road.

Ron
Old 04-10-2017, 02:14 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&R_MA View Post
We're thinking of making the reverse of your trip in late summer/early fall 2017. Will reservations be needed? Would they still be available? We'd very much like to ad-lib our way across.

Thanks,

David
Before the end of June and after the Labour Day weekend you should not have a problem. We reserved anyway, since we can cancel with a minimal cancellation charge. Weekends however can be a problem throughout the camping season depending on the popularity of the site.
Miguezc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:08 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
For years, while travelling all over the world, we've been saying that we really have to travel across our own country some day. So, with it being the year Canada turns 150 and a free National Parks pass, this is the year. From the look of it the pass is going to heavily used in the Maritimes.

We're leaving in the second week of May, pretty much driving to Ontario without much delay. We'll head to the Maritimes and Newfoundland as the first major part of the trip with the only goal of being in Ottawa on July 1st.

The City of Ottawa is a huge disappointment. We thought that they might help out travellers by allowing more relaxed rules about overnight parking during the celebrations. Well, they are. You can park at civic parks and parking lots. It only costs $542.00 for 3 nights. Cost recovery, the staff say. What a crock, I say. Fortunately the folks just across the river in Quebec are much more accommodating, so to speak.

So.... Anyone else doing any specific Canada 150 travelling?

Ron
Hi Ron,
I am planning my post-Osoyoos camping in BC for at least a week. I saw on on site that 65+ are rebated 50% and on another that it was limited to BC residents. Do you know what the policy is?
So far, I have looked at Kokanee Creek but other suggestions heading east are welcomed.

Old 04-11-2017, 04:25 PM   #29

I'm afraid that the discount is for BC residents only and it applies to the off season.

Yes, so many possibilities of places to go. I think we made the decision today, subject to change , to take the "high" route through Jasper etc. Still working on what places to see although we'll be making pretty quick tracks East.

Ron
Old 04-11-2017, 04:31 PM   #30

Quote:
I'm afraid that the discount is for BC residents only and it applies to the off season.

Yes, so many possibilities of places to go. I think we made the decision today, subject to change , to take the "high" route through Jasper etc. Still working on what places to see although we'll be making pretty quick tracks East.

Ron
Thanks, that's what I was thinking and it makes sense. I think I will book there for a few days. All I want to do is relax and look at mountains. JP

Old 04-11-2017, 07:00 PM   #31

Yes, it's sort a disappointment to know others are getting a discount and you have to pay full fare. We run into that situation all the time in the US. Those lucky folks have so many discounts Oh well, we just count ourselves lucky that we can enjoy the lifestyle, discount or not.

Ron
Old 04-14-2017, 09:36 AM   #32

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Really like your no-name-electric-assist bikes Ron. Giving them some thought for us.

Wonder if they also come with trainer wheels (for Nancy--She tips easy.) Other question might be, do these bikes come in a bigger/taller size .... for those of us not vertically challenged. My bike people say if you can't straighten your leg when pedaling you're not an efficient peddler. Must look into this.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:20 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Really like your no-name-electric-assist bikes Ron. Giving them some thought for us.

Wonder if they also come with trainer wheels (for Nancy--She tips easy.) Other question might be, do these bikes come in a bigger/taller size .... for those of us not vertically challenged. My bike people say if you can't straighten your leg when pedaling you're not an efficient peddler. Must look into this.
Training wheels wouldn't be impossible but could defeat the ease of storage etc. advantage of a folding bike. I believe that I've seen folding trikes but the cost goes way up. I have built a bike with two rear wheels, several inches apart, for a person unable to use her legs but doing that for an electric bike would be too difficult to contemplate. (Her pride wouldn't let her have a "trike" and since you can still corner on two wheels we call it a bike. )

The price that compact folding bikes have is that the frame is usually small and the handle bars and seat post give the extra height. While the ones on mine are sturdy there's limits to how tall a person could be. I'd say 6' would be the limit for this type, which kind of leaves you dragging your feet.

Ours survived their first test. A couple of miles downhill to a shopping center and then powered us uphill on the return. The battery still had 4 bars out of 4. They operate seamlessly, much better than our old technology clunker.

I think that your best bet would be a conversion kit on a more full size bike.

Ron
Old 04-14-2017, 12:45 PM   #34

Could do the tricycle route. Could even add a bike rack to the trailer if the truck bed was too crowded. Would likely pass on the folding bike option regardless. Now thinking I might go looking at local bike shops for a used trike that would adapt to an electric assist kit.

At this stage, all just thoughts, though.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:57 PM   #35

If you find a used trike adding a front wheel conversion kit would be easy. There's lots of conversion kits available. The most pricey part of the situation are the batteries. Love that our new bike's lithium batteries are feather lite compared to the monster battery we had on our old bike. But very spendy compared to lead acid.

I'll be exploring an electric trike at some point in the future. An older friend who may be close to the end of his driving days is going to need an alternative to his car.

Ron
Old 04-14-2017, 01:43 PM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
If you find a used trike adding a front wheel conversion kit would be easy. There's lots of conversion kits available. The most pricey part of the situation are the batteries. Love that our new bike's lithium batteries are feather lite compared to the monster battery we had on our old bike. But very spendy compared to lead acid.

I'll be exploring an electric trike at some point in the future. An older friend who may be close to the end of his driving days is going to need an alternative to his car.

Ron
Hi: Ron in BC... When this happens to me... I'll be using my riding lawnmower!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:53 PM   #37

Well the clock just keep ticking and departure date is suddenly tomorrow. A few little mods that I would have done but I've run our of time. Nothing urgent, the trailer's pretty well moded already.

I wanted to have an improved ability to pick up wi-fi signals. I ended up buying the JefaTech XR repeater unit. I don't really need my own trailer network but it'll be handy sometimes when we're using multiple devices.

Unfortunately that didn't go too well. Went across the border last week and picked it up. Came home and plugged it in and it was DOA. I had to wait all weekend to chat with them about it. They were really good and sent out a complete replacement by 2nd day air. Another trip over the border yesterday and I'm happy to say the replacement works really well. I got the 12 volt adaptor also so I can run it directly from 12 volts. Probably more efficient.

So I've made a couple of poles for the exterior antenna. The tallest one is 12 1/2 feet off the ground. Should be high enough for most situations.

Hope it was worth the effort.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0005_resize.JPG   IMGP0007_resize.jpg   IMGP0008_resize.jpg  
Old 05-12-2017, 07:48 PM   #38

Trailer: Escape
I'm headed to Saskatchewan for Canada's 150th. To pay homage to a chapter in Farley Mowat's life.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:34 PM   #39

Wow, Ron, looking good.... I wish I was you. Happy trip, stay in touch.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:46 PM   #40

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
God Speed Ron ! Stay safe ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote