Chilliwack to Cannon Beach - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2016, 05:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Chilliwack to Cannon Beach

We pick up our new trailer on June 16 and plan to leave Chilliwack by 4pm after the orientation. We haven't gone this direction for 35 years so we are clueless on what to expect. It seems Lyndon KAO is a common first stop for other Escapers but might need one or two more stops before hitting the coast. Could someone map out a route and some nice places to overnight along the way and down the Oregon coast?
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Our favourite route to Cannon Beach is the long way through Deception Pass, the ferry to Port Townsend, the west coast of the Olympic Peninsula (do stop at Ruby Beach), across the Columbia River into Astoria and then a little bit down the Oregon coast to Cannon Beach. Many of the state campgrounds in Washington and Oregon are perfect. We're not big fans of the private sites along I-5 and there isn't much for state parks along that route. We've stayed at Fort Stevens and done day trips into Cannon Beach.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Whichever way you decide to go, you'd better make reservations for that time of year. State campgrounds can fill up fast in the summer.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:59 PM   #4

Thanks for that info. I was hoping it would still be quieter until closer to the end of June.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:01 PM   #5

I have always wanted to go to Port Townsend so I will look into plotting that root. Thanks for that.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:31 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Our #1 favorite Oregon Coast State Park campsite is Nehalem Bay; close enough for a run into Cannon Beach.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:31 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by davescape View Post
Our favourite route to Cannon Beach is the long way through Deception Pass, the ferry to Port Townsend, the west coast of the Olympic Peninsula (do stop at Ruby Beach), across the Columbia River into Astoria and then a little bit down the Oregon coast to Cannon Beach. Many of the state campgrounds in Washington and Oregon are perfect. We're not big fans of the private sites along I-5 and there isn't much for state parks along that route. We've stayed at Fort Stevens and done day trips into Cannon Beach.
I took this route when I picked up my trailer in April 2011. No problem finding sites, however it was early enough that i ran into snow a couple of times. I have a journal of that section of the trip starting here.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:56 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Our #1 favorite Oregon Coast State Park campsite is Nehalem Bay; close enough for a run into Cannon Beach.
+1

Nehalem Bay was our favorite spot on a week-long tour of Oregon. The beach is basically deserted. The town of Manzanita is much less hectic than Cannon Beach too, but still has some nice shops and restaurants.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:56 PM   #9

By all means stop in Tillamook County on the Oregon coast. Nehalem Bay State Park just south of Manzanita is a beautiful park with the Pacific Ocean on one side and Nehalem Bay the other. Two easily reachable spots to the north are Oswald West day park and the trail up Neahkahnee Mountain. Unfortunately almost all of Oregon's state parks need reservations in June to assure a spot. Heading south on 101, Tillamook County has a park on the mouth of Tillamook Bay, Bayview Jetty Park, which often has openings when the state parks are full. It's a very nice park. At Tillamook, one really should head southwest on the Three Capes scenic route. Along with the state campground at Cape Lookout, Tillamook County has a small park, without amenities, Whalen Island, which is on a small estuary called Sandlike. Pacific City has a nice private RV park, Pacific City RV, right across from Cape Kiwanda.
Bob-o
Bend, Or
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:48 AM   #10

Trailer: 2016 17B
Deception Pass State Park (mentioned previously in this thread) is an exceptionally beautiful park to camp, and in some polls has been rated #1 for camping in the northwest (and just 12 miles from our home).
Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:13 AM   #11

Trailer: 2016 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I took this route when I picked up my trailer in April 2011. No problem finding sites, however it was early enough that i ran into snow a couple of times. I have a journal of that section of the trip starting here.
Vermilye, enjoyed reading your trip notes and photos for that portion of your trip that took you through WA, OR, and into CA. Look forward to reading more later!
Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:15 PM   #12

Trailer: 2006 Extreme Toyhauler
If you are going to drive down the Oregon coast when you pass Garibaldi just before you enter Tillamook on the left side of the road you will see a Gas Station that is the Tillamook factory outlet. Tillamook makes some very good Teriyaki Pepperoni sticks. You can get 2ft sticks for a buck each. I typically buy a 10 pack or 2 anytime I am over on the coast just for camping and road trips.

Meat eater at heart and likely will die with bacon in my hand but at least it will be with a smile.

Also South Beach is a decent camp ground if you like walking around. You really cant go wrong with most of the State Parks. I would recommend avoiding private parks as they all tend to be asphalt and trailers stacked in next to each other. I like a little space between myself and the next person.
RobertH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:07 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertH View Post

Meat eater at heart and likely will die with bacon in my hand but at least it will be with a smile
on my face
Consider this, I went to a fishing tournament last weekend. Thursday night was the get acquainted picnic. Meats served were: Bratwurst, Hamburgers, pickled Northern Pike, venison salami, venison sticks, unlimited pork Rocky Mountain Oysters, and my favorite, Mallard Duck breast marinated, wrapped in bacon and grilled. Baked beans with pickled Ham and more bacon was my only "vegetable". I felt like a carnivore unleashed.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:54 AM   #14

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Consider this, I went to a fishing tournament last weekend. Thursday night was the get acquainted picnic. Meats served were: Bratwurst, Hamburgers, pickled Northern Pike, venison salami, venison sticks, unlimited pork Rocky Mountain Oysters, and my favorite, Mallard Duck breast marinated, wrapped in bacon and grilled. Baked beans with pickled Ham and more bacon was my only "vegetable". I felt like a carnivore unleashed.
Dave
.........and this is at a fishing tournament.........Love to see the line-up at a wild game feast!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote