Chilliwack to Texas - the long way - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2019, 09:48 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21C
Chilliwack to Texas - the long way

We are picking up our new Escape 21 in early June. Of course, I am already planning the trip home. We would like to go from Chilliwack to Fairmont Hot Springs Resort RV Park. We stayed there with our popup camper in 2001 and really liked it.
So, does anybody have route suggestions going East from Chilliwack? I would like to take it slow, and hit a campground or two on our way. After Fairmont, we will go South into Idaho and down to Boise en route back to East Texas.
Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 09:58 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
You probably already know that as a US buyer, you will be taking possession of your trailer in Sumas, WA not Chilliwack. ETI imports trailers for US buyers. You can certainly turn around and go back across the border into BC, a number of buyers have done that. Will it be a fairly close drive to the RV park you're choosing? I have no idea where it's at...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 11:11 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

I would definitely take Hwy 3 east (aka the Crowsnest Hwy) to Hwy 95 then it’s only a short drive to Fairmont Hot springs. There are lots of wonderful campsites along the way including Manning Park, another of our favourites is at Yahk Provincial Campground (by the junction of Hwy 3 & Hwy 95).
Lots of wonderful campsites can be found here and decisions can be made while your traveling.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/

Enjoy the trip.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:15 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
It's Yahk, not Yank. Get some ice cream and candles while you're there.
Don't confuse the Provincial Park with the private RV park on the highway.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 9.14.15 AM.png  
Old 11-27-2019, 12:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
It's Yahk, not Yank. Get some ice cream and candles while you're there.
Don't confuse the Provincial Park with the private RV park on the highway.

[emoji23] your right Glenn, darn autocorrect.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
[emoji23] your right Glenn, darn autocorrect.

Figured.
Old 11-27-2019, 01:44 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
When we pick up we also head east, maybe 2-3 hours and stay in Osoyoos at Nk-Mip CG where the Escape rally is held every year. Although you will miss it, it is still a lovely cg.
Old 11-27-2019, 02:06 PM   #8

If you want to stay in Osoyoos, BC but don’t want to say in a large crowded campground Haynes Point is a lovely small campground.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/swiws/
Old 11-27-2019, 03:00 PM   #9

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
I was a bit confused at first, because there is also a Fairmont Hot springs in Montana. Unless you have someone specifically to see in Boise, you might want to consider crossing the Border at Eureka, MT and spending some time near Glacier NP, then come down to Yellowstone and maybe Grand Teton (of course, you may have already "done" those Parks. If you do think you would like to stay in the Parks, or even nearby, make your reservations as far ahead as you can.

Also, you might want to find out if Texas requires having a temporary tag on your trailer as soon as you take possession. Also, know that you cannot put any of your stuff into the trailer until you officially take possession in Sumas. The KOA in Lynden is a popular place to stay your first night.

Have fun.
Roger
rajenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 07:44 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
If you decide to head south from Sumas then turn east on Rte. 20, there is a campground in Winthrop, Washington called Pine Near that is pretty nice. I stayed there in early June 2015. It is a good day's drive east of Sedro-Woolley, with the North Cascades National Park on the way.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 07:53 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Sorry-- I forgot your original post about heading east from Chilliwack; I"m still half-asleep.

But I'll make up for it: when traveling south through Montana and Idaho consider taking U.S. 93 south from Missoula. The route is stunningly beautiful; it must be like driving through Switzerland.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 12:22 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Sorry-- I forgot your original post about heading east from Chilliwack; I"m still half-asleep.

But I'll make up for it: when traveling south through Montana and Idaho consider taking U.S. 93 south from Missoula. The route is stunningly beautiful; it must be like driving through Switzerland.

I concur; a beautiful drive. Just be careful about gas stops; they're not as available when you want them as on the more major routes.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:26 AM   #13

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
I concur; a beautiful drive. Just be careful about gas stops; they're not as available when you want them as on the more major routes.
Agree, Driving along the river is very nice. Many places to pull over and look around.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajenkins View Post
I was a bit confused at first, because there is also a Fairmont Hot springs in Montana. Unless you have someone specifically to see in Boise, you might want to consider crossing the Border at Eureka, MT and spending some time near Glacier NP, then come down to Yellowstone and maybe Grand Teton (of course, you may have already "done" those Parks. If you do think you would like to stay in the Parks, or even nearby, make your reservations as far ahead as you can.

Also, you might want to find out if Texas requires having a temporary tag on your trailer as soon as you take possession. Also, know that you cannot put any of your stuff into the trailer until you officially take possession in Sumas. The KOA in Lynden is a popular place to stay your first night.

Have fun.
Roger
That is a good idea. We are going to Boise as we have friends and family there. We lived there for about 15 years. We never get tired of Yellowstone and the Tetons. We also lived in Jackson Hole for a number of years, and really miss it.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:49 AM   #15

Does Texas requirement of a tag upon possession mean once within the state? Picking up outside of the state and delivering it may not need a tag until you arrive at your home within the state? I have not heard of anyone picking up and driving their new Escape home without a tag having any issues in any state while traveling to their home. Until they apply for title then they are taking possession. Now insurance is a separate issue, I would think having it on the trailer once you pick up in Sumas would be prudent and not wait until you get home.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Does Texas requirement of a tag upon possession mean once within the state? Picking up outside of the state and delivering it may not need a tag until you arrive at your home within the state? I have not heard of anyone picking up and driving their new Escape home without a tag having any issues in any state while traveling to their home. Until they apply for title then they are taking possession. Now insurance is a separate issue, I would think having it on the trailer once you pick up in Sumas would be prudent and not wait until you get home.
I think that the time limit begins when you enter the state. Having said that, it seems that what rules are applied depends which county you register in. One set of rules, many interpretations. I am going to try and get my tags before leaving for Chilliwack. I will certainly have insurance in place at pickup.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:35 AM   #17

Bureaucrats, I'm glad I'm no longer one.....