Coquihalla vs. Hey. 1? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2017, 12:51 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
Coquihalla vs. Hey. 1?

After delaying my pickup last month for weather, I'm rather dismayed to see news of nasty accidents and really bad conditions on the Coq last weekend. I know it's not that unusual this time of year, and we'll likely go to Chilliwack that way, as we'll be rather pressed for time.

However, I'm wondering if someone could tell me what Hwy 1 from Hope to Cache Crrek is like. Are there any high passes? Is the road really curvy? How busy on a Weds afternoon? I've driven the Coq, but if the other route is likely to have less snow and be the kind of highway that you can roll along at 90 pulling a new trailer, it's something to consider. I know it will take longer. Thanks for any input!!
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 01:13 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Hwy. 1 is the oldest of the possible routes. It follows the Fraser Canyon. It would not be my first choice of a route except as part of a motorcycle ride. It doesn't have quite the elevation change of the Coq. but it isn't the safest road.

My advice is watch the weather forecast but take the Coq. Snowfalls like last weeks are getting rarer by the day.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 01:23 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Maybe: Hope - Osoyoos - Kelowna - Kamloops - Jasper might be a nice option.
(We love to take that route as we are not so much a QH or highway 1 fan, and once got stuck in snow on highway 1 pulling a plow behind the truck)
Old 04-05-2017, 02:38 AM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
  • Highway 1 (the Trans-Canada) along the Fraser River does not have any high passes; the Coquihalla (Highway 5) takes a much higher route, and will sometimes have snow when Highway 1 has rain - I've taken Hwy 1 to avoid snow in the fall, successfully.
  • Yes, Highway 1 has lots of curves, some with substantial speed reductions from the 80 km/h (or is it 90 now?) limit; the Coquihalla has a 120 km/h limit and a car can drive almost all of it at the speed limit.
  • Highway 1 is generally a two-lane highway with occasional passing lanes and goes through every little town; the Coquihalla is a freeway with exits at one town in the middle.
  • Hope - Cache Creek on Highway 1 is about the same distance as Hope - Kamloops on the Coquihalla, but if you are headed east the distance from Cache Creek to Kamloops is extra. As a result, Hope - Kamloops at the speed limit is about an hour faster via the Coquihalla, without traffic, and traffic could make the difference larger.
  • Any reasonable tow vehicle can pull an Escape along Highway 1 at the limit, slowing only for towns and tight curves. Most vehicles with trailers cannot maintain the speed limit up any of the steeper grades on the Coquihalla, negating some of the speed advantage of this high-speed road.
Any reasonable tow vehicle can pull an Escape along Highway 1 at the limit, slowing only for towns and tight curves. Most vehicles with trailers cannot maintain the speed limit up any of the steeper grades on the Coquihalla, negating some of the speed advantage of this high-speed road.

In a car without a trailer, I would take Highway 1 only for scenery or to visit something along the way; in practice I have taken the Coquihalla almost every time since it was built, when driving a car or van. Towing the trailer and in the motorhome, I have taken Highway 1 in both directions and it has worked out well (although at times it seems like there isn't enough room for it between the rock face and oncoming traffic, but of course there is), but I have also taken the Coquihalla and been faster up the hills than the commercial trucks, but slower than the cars.

The joy of getting where we're going quickly on the Coquihalla can turn into tedium grinding up long 6% to 8% grades with an RV. The grade north of Hope on the Coq tends to get worse weather (more precipitation) than the rest of the road, and is also the tightest and most twisty part of the road; this is source of the name of the TV show Highway Thru Hell.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:08 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
We've done both routes but only in late spring and summer so weren't concerned about snow.

I am a huge fan of the highway cams via Drive BC DriveBC which should give you a sense of current weather conditions. I also like google maps.ca where I can drop the little guy down onto the highway and actually "drive" the highway. I've done that quite often when considering what roads looks like.

If it was me and I had concerns about snowy weather I'd take the canyon route (highway 1).

For whatever it is worth when I am on the Coq my primary concern are the other cars traveling way too fast and putting others at risk. Also, watch out going around curves. We Rounded a curve on a long, downhill stretch and the traffic ahead was suddenly slowing and I had to slow right down. We still remember the back of the semi getting larger and larger. Going south, just north of the Great Bear snow shed. Steep decline.

Don't ever daydream on the Coq and watch out for stupidly fast drivers.

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:35 PM   #6

Trailer: 2012 15A
Our preferred travel route to the interior is the Fraser Canyon Hwy 1 route.
If time is not a consideration, we always go that route.
I find it much more relaxing to drive the Canyon as compared to the Freeway traffic on the Cog.
I also find the scenery is much nicer through the Canyon.
The traffic is usually light, but you can get stuck behind slow moving traffic until you reach a passing lane. You can also find yourself slowing down the traffic at times as there is always someone on the roads that is in a big hurry to get somewhere.
The only semi truck traffic you get are those headed further north on Hwy 97 past Cache Creek. Most of them go the Cog.

If you are tight for time then the Coq certainly has it's advantages.

There is a BC Parks campground just north of Lytton called Skihist that we look forward to spending a night at on both outbound and homeward bound trips.

Attached photo was a trip through the Canyon at the end of January 2013 while traveling to Vancouver from Calgary. No issues.
Attached Thumbnails
P1290340r.jpg  
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:58 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
The traffic is usually light, but you can get stuck behind slow moving traffic until you reach a passing lane.
I have a limited tolerance for being stuck behind slow moving traffic. Usually folks from, umm, places that don't have twisty roads with big drop offs. I'd rather be the slow guy, and that's not all that slow.

I don't mind Hwy. 1 if I'm heading to Prince George etc. but if it's Kamloops and points East, it's the Coq. for sure. To each their own.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Maybe: Hope - Osoyoos - Kelowna - Kamloops - Jasper might be a nice option.
(We love to take that route as we are not so much a QH or highway 1 fan, and once got stuck in snow on highway 1 pulling a plow behind the truck)
Hope - Osoyoos - Kelowna is a long way round and in fact if you are going to take Highway 3, Osoyoos is an extra detour, best take Highway 3A from Keremeos towards Penticton and up highway 97 towards Kelowna. However, Highway 3, although a beautiful drive is pretty windy in spots through Manning Park and beyond, with a couple of passes with elevation above 4,000 feet. My recommendation would be to take highway 1 if with to avoid travelling the Coquihalla.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:00 PM   #9

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
We towed our Escape on the Coq last week from Vancouver Island to Kamloops. We were thinking of going Highway 1 but a rock slide had it closed north of Yale (it is now single lane alternating). If we are taking the Escape north of Cache Creek we take Highway 1, if going to southern interior we take the Coq unless there is recent snow fall. There are some long steep grades on the Coq in which you need to manage your speed while towing particularly going downhill. There seemed to be more semi-trucks on the Coq last week perhaps because of the closure on Highway 1.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:17 PM   #10

Thanks everyone so much for the very detailed replies - it is hugely appreciated!

I use google maps frequently (usually on my phone) but haven't discovered the "drive simulator". How do you find that? I did find a UTube video that was basically a high speed dash cam of the road from Hope to Cache Creek that was awesome!

Thanks also for the info about the rock slide - something to take into account.

I'm thinking I'll probably take the Coq to Chilliwack, and Hwy 1 coming back with the trailer. I'll probably be the "slow one"... I like the idea of a lower and more scenic route with some places to stop for coffee.. Not great with heights anyway.

Welcome to hear more comments. This forum kicks Google's butt!! ��

Brenda
Old 04-05-2017, 10:30 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by blhvet View Post
Not great with heights anyway.
On the Coq you will be unaware of how high you are. Can't really see anything other than mountain peaks. Besides, you'll be looking in your rear view mirror for vehicles overtaking you at high speed.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
I also like google maps.ca where I can drop the little guy down onto the highway and actually "drive" the highway.
I assume that this is Google Street View.

Quote:
I use google maps frequently (usually on my phone) but haven't discovered the "drive simulator". How do you find that?
In the web browser version, there's a little person (who they call Pegman) that you can click and drag; when you drag it onto the map lines appear to show where the Street View car took pictures - drop the person where you want to virtually visit and the street-level view appears.

On an Android phone, Google's Maps and Street View are separate apps - Street View is like another version of maps that has Pegman already in the middle of the map and places where photos are available already showing... as soon as you are zoomed in enough.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:45 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:
Thanks everyone so much for the very detailed replies - it is hugely appreciated!

I use google maps frequently (usually on my phone) but haven't discovered the "drive simulator". How do you find that? I did find a UTube video that was basically a high speed dash cam of the road from Hope to Cache Creek that was awesome!.

Welcome to hear more comments. This forum kicks Google's butt!! ��
Brenda
Perhaps it depends on the device and platform u r using (Apple/Microsoft). There are computer techies on here of which I am not one. I'm sure someone will have more accurate

But until they do here goes ... We went all-in with Apple iPhones, iPads and MacBook Pro. I can get the dangles little guy when I use Google maps on the MacBook Pro But not when I am using iPhones or iPad. I have no idea why that is and haven't investigated anything.

The "drive simulator" is the trick u use so u can look at your house from the street on google maps.

Safe travels and enjoy your new egg

Larry. (Edit to add: What Brian just said
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
I can get the dangles little guy when I use Google maps on the MacBook Pro But not when I am using iPhones or iPad.
The dangling little guy is "Pegman". It appears that Maps and Street View are separate apps in the App Store, like they are in the Android world.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:06 PM   #15

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
DriveBC website has good up to date reports on road conditions and webcams for all major routes in BC. It's worth looking at particularly during periods of bad weather.

Looks like there are currently three single lane alternating locations between Hope and Cache Creek on Highway 1 (Yale, Boston Bar, and Spences Bridge) - could be a slow trip.

DriveBC
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
On the Coq you will be unaware of how high you are. Can't really see anything other than mountain peaks. Besides, you'll be looking in your rear view mirror for vehicles overtaking you at high speed.
Thanks, Glenn - that makes me feel MUCH better!! 😜
Old 04-05-2017, 11:50 PM   #17

Thanks, gharper. Re-calculating... ��

My brother is coming with me and he's leaning towards the Coq. I've been checking the drivebc website lots - it is very helpful.

I'll be so glad to just get her home!
Old 04-06-2017, 12:10 AM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
What it comes down to is where you are headed. I take the Coq to Merritt and Kamloops. It's the fastest route. I stay in the right lane ( mostly ) and tuck in behind a semi when they are going fast enough. But, there will be drivers doing 130/150 kph in the fast lanes ( 80/90 mph ). You need to anticipate, but there are three lanes on a lot of the road.

If I was headed for Cache Creek, 100 mile, Williams Lake, Prince George, I'd take Highway #1 and be prepared to relax when stuck behind slower moving traffic because passing lanes are limited. You will be able to see the Fraser River flowing far below the highway, and you might come around a corner and see a pile of sticky in the ditch.

My preferred route to Osoyoos is highway #3 which is a winding mountain highway. At times you will be slowing to 30 kph ( 18 mph ) if you follow the advisory signs. It's a scenic route, but best keep your eyes on the road ahead.
Last year, heading for the rally, there was a semi hanging over the wrong side of the road and a really smucked car that had nowhere to go.

It's why I have no desire to put a rear view camera on my trailer. I am watching the road ahead and the traffic, anticipating trouble and planning escape routes.

Safest route is probably the Coq, and the samosas at the summit rest stop are quite good.

But, it's no worse than a two-lane highway in Southern Alberta, with people driving way over the limit and passing cattle trucks.
Attached Thumbnails
Coqu Summit.jpg  
Old 04-06-2017, 01:45 AM   #19

Thanks for the additional input. Kind of thinking that if the weather is good, we'll stick with the the Coq, especially given all the single lane issues on Hwy 1. The campground up near Lytton that was recommended looks like its closed until May 1.

Haven't stopped at the rest stop on the Coq before - good to know.

Still haven't 100% decided if we'll hang around the first night in case there are any issues or just head out. Sounds like my brother will want to get home quick - we'll probably be on the road within 10 minutes of finishing the orientation...
Old 04-06-2017, 07:07 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
The Coq is a great highway. Three lanes where needed on steep climbs. The super fast drivers are of no problem for me, I just keep to the right as much as possible, and let them pass. Of course weather can turn things bad.

Driving my 2009 Honda Pilot pulling the 19 sees me have to slow down to 80-90 kph on the real steep stuff in order that I did not keep the revs nearly red lined for long periods of time. This is only in a couple places, and considering the amount of time saved, it is no big deal at all.

Driving back with my 5.0TA with my Ford F-150 pulling the 5.0TA (unloaded) I had no problem at all keeping it at 110-120 kph, even on the ascents. If the weather was ugly, I was prepared to take the Trans Canada or wait it out though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote