Cross country in May to Chilliwack..... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2022, 09:01 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Cross country in May to Chilliwack.....

Doing some trip planning (ie not much else to do while stuck indoors) for our trip to Chilliwack and then Osoyoos for the annual Escape Rally in May. Being relatively close to I70 via Pennsylvania Turnpike, we would head west on I70 until Indiana where we merge onto I74 north to I80 to continue west. Continue to Iowa where we then take I29 north to I90 west for 1500 miles to Washington state. Then proceed north on I5 up to Canada and Chilliwack. Planning stops is hard as the daily drive time is unknown. Sometimes I can go 12-14 hours, other times only 8, all depends on traffic. Total is approximately 3,000 miles one way. Open to suggestions for change or places to avoid......thanks.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:32 AM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Here's an idea Jim. Mind you, this place is funky.

Lolo Hot Springs just outside of Missoula, MT. It is up on Lolo pass and is quite beautiful. The soaking is great, but otherwise this place is backwards.

We couldn't get out of the restaurant because they forgot what we ordered and the waitress refused to write anything down. It was a mess for mediocre food. But the camping is great, they have nice grassy spaces. They have necessities and drinks.

I love it, funkyness and all. But I love almost all hot springs.

Here's another. This one is world class and your wife will love it. This is my all time favorite hot spring. Just outside of Yellowstone too!

Great soaking, an ass kick bar and a four star restaurant that requires separate reservations. Worth it. My family loves this place.

Chico Hot Springs outside of Livingston, MT. It is located at Pray, MT, just up Paradise Valley (Hwy 89). You need reservations a.s.a.p.. And there are nearby campgrounds too.

Chico is special!
Attached Thumbnails
lolo hot springs.jpg   Chico Hot Springs.jpg  
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:20 AM   #3

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Don’t have any route suggestions as we are coming from northern California, but I have been thinking about the possibility (probability) that PCR Covid tests will still be required by May.

When we tried to get to Chilliwack in November the day before our planned trailer pickup in Sumas, testing opportunities were spotty at best. The pharmacy we had scheduled for a rapid 30 minute test at $150 got flooded out along with the entire town of Sumas. We found a 24 hour turnaround test location in Missoula, MT that got us into Alberta.

Options for tests that are reasonably scheduled for results within the 72 hour period prior to crossing are not currently jumping off my iPad screen. And, the chance of Canada backing off the PCR and allowing the much easier to get, cheaper and quicker antigen test is remote, in my view.

Should continue to get interesting on the testing to get into Canada front.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:31 AM   #4

Had not thought about testing, eeekk......
Old 01-13-2022, 10:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post

Lolo Hot Springs just outside of Missoula, MT. It is up on Lolo pass and is quite beautiful. The soaking is great, but otherwise this place is backwards.

We couldn't get out of the restaurant because they forgot what we ordered and the waitress refused to write anything down. It was a mess for mediocre food. But the camping is great, they have nice grassy spaces. They have necessities and drinks.

Here's another. This one is world class and your wife will love it. This is my all time favorite hot spring. Just outside of Yellowstone too!

Great soaking, an ass kick bar and a four star restaurant that requires separate reservations. Worth it. My family loves this place.

Chico Hot Springs outside of Livingston, MT. It is located at Pray, MT, just up Paradise Valley (Hwy 89). You need reservations a.s.a.p.. And there are nearby campgrounds too.

Chico is special!
Sounds like my kind of place....thanks for the ideas!
Old 01-13-2022, 10:59 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post

Chico is special!
We liked the lolo hot springs, avoided the restaurant
However Missoula has excellent food
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 04:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
Don’t have any route suggestions as we are coming from northern California, but I have been thinking about the possibility (probability) that PCR Covid tests will still be required by May.

When we tried to get to Chilliwack in November the day before our planned trailer pickup in Sumas, testing opportunities were spotty at best. The pharmacy we had scheduled for a rapid 30 minute test at $150 got flooded out along with the entire town of Sumas. We found a 24 hour turnaround test location in Missoula, MT that got us into Alberta.

Options for tests that are reasonably scheduled for results within the 72 hour period prior to crossing are not currently jumping off my iPad screen. And, the chance of Canada backing off the PCR and allowing the much easier to get, cheaper and quicker antigen test is remote, in my view.

Should continue to get interesting on the testing to get into Canada front.

Jim should look into any molecular test which is accepted by Canada. The one we got for free in KS in November was an NAAT which is molecular and result came while we waited at the clinic. It does not have to be a PCR. It just can’t be an antigen.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 05:17 PM   #8

Trailer: ‘22 21C
We’ll be picking our 21C April, 12th, so about a month ahead of you. I was hoping we could cross the border for an inspection the day before pickup. Didn’t even think about Covid tests, that may make it a no go, especially at $150 a test?
As far as route, we’re coming from east TN so I figured the quickest way there and then do some sightseeing on the way back breaking in the new rig.
LtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 05:36 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Canada was moved to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's highest-risk category for travel on Monday: https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/c...-10/index.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 05:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Jim should look into any molecular test which is accepted by Canada. The one we got for free in KS in November was an NAAT which is molecular and result came while we waited at the clinic. It does not have to be a PCR. It just can’t be an antigen.
The trick is multifaceted and the terrain moves.

Molecular tests are not typically free for travel purposes. Some folks get them from MD referrals because of symptoms, but if you don’t have symptoms, most fast turn around locations will charge you. We saw cost ranges from $80-$250.

In addition, results turnaround range from 30 minutes to 72+ hours. In the former case, you got 72 hours to make it to the border assuming 1) You are negative, and 2) You are heading to a border crossing that operates 24 hours a day. If you are heading to a limited hour crossing, then you might lose some of those 72 hours waiting for the border to open. I was told by Canadian border officials that folks have actually run out the 72 hour clock sitting in line waiting to cross. The crossing we did in November got backed up because of the floods and we waited 3.5 hours before getting through.

And then there are the random test kits that you might get from the Canadian border officials. If you are fortunate enough to draw the short straw (we did), you must (within 24 hours of entering Canada) take a self administered test under the watchful eye of a Health Canada contractor via a Zoom type video conference. Then you must drop off your sample at a local drop off point or, if there are none nearby, arrange for a courier to come to you to pick it up (not on your dime, thankfully) If you are still negative, it might not be over yet.

Despite our negative results in Montana and Alberta, we were contacted to arrange for an 8 day retest. By that time, we were already nearly back across the border heading toward Blaine WA to finally get our trailer after the great flood. We declined the invite.

So, yes, this is all doable. But, if you are of a mind to set a schedule and hit all of your prearranged marks, be aware that several of the milestones could change thereby creating a domino effect on down the line. Maybe no big deal for anyone who has time and no other specific commitments, but if you gotta be places at certain times, COVID tests for entering Canada could become priority activities. Kinda like the more you chew it, the bigger it gets.
Old 01-13-2022, 05:53 PM   #11

and here I thought The Internal Revenue Code was simple to use and follow............!
Old 01-13-2022, 06:46 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Canada was moved to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's highest-risk category for travel on Monday: https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/c...-10/index.html
Which is curious, given the numbers.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 4.45.07 PM.jpg  
Old 01-13-2022, 08:16 PM   #13

Take a look at Figure 1b. This is a fast moving situation.

https://health-infobase.canada.ca/co...-19-cases.html
Old 01-13-2022, 08:42 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
Traffic at I 90 and I 5 intersection is a mess. 405 NW to Everett is a tad better. Once you are north of Marysville Wa. Clear sailing unless there is a wreck.

Good pit stop before border is Exit 232 Cook Road , Shell station has large lot and lots of parking. Free dump station,propane,hot food, and easy on and off both directions.
Busy around 4 pm.

State campgrounds with in 60 miles of border are

Bay View State Park
Racer State Park
Rock Port State Park
Fort Casey State Park
Deception Pass State Park
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:42 AM   #15

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Which is curious, given the numbers.
Link for this particular graphic? Thanks.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:44 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
Link for this particular graphic? Thanks.
I was afraid somebody would ask. i have to do a search.
Credit is "Chart courtesy Justin McElroy and CBC) Numbers as of Dec 23." McElroy is a reporter/producer for Canadian Broadcast Corp.