Cross Country Trip Rt. 80 West to East and back - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2022, 07:03 PM   #41

Trailer: 5.0 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Johnson View Post
Hi, Disneyfan, sounds like a great first trip. However, if you feel the least bit venturesome, I'd suggest considering staying off I-80 through Nevada and Utah. It's just another damn freeway with lots of traffic and definitely not scenic.

When I go across Nevada, I separate from I-80 at Fernley and take Highway 50 across the state. The scenery is infinitely better, and the pace is much more relaxed on a very nice road. When you get into Utah, follow Highway 50/6 to Heber City north of Provo, where you can catch Highway 40 to Vernal, then north on 191 where you will intersect the beloved I-80 just west of Rock Springs.

I would suggest following 40 across Colorado, but this being your first trip, you are probably a bit nervous about time constraints. On your way back home, you might want to try the southern route when you see how long your legs are and realize that you can make a lot of progress once you have learned to hurry slowly.

Enjoy your trip, and check out everything interesting. You won't regret it.
Hey Fog Lark,

I like the idea to travel off 80 on the routes you suggest. Sounds doable and an interesting alternative. Hurry slowly...lol...you must be a very seasoned traveler.

Appreciate your suggestions!
Disneyfan
Disneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 10:46 PM   #42

Trailer: 2022 Escape 19
I think California only accepts our FasTrac transponder (not EZ Pass). But the SF bridges all take a photo of your license plate and will mail you an invoice. Or you can log on to their site and pay your toll electronically.
jeffhaltiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 11:12 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small but Sweet View Post
I read about the "222" rule for RV trips. No more than 200 miles a day, be done driving for the day by 2:00pm, and stay [edit to add: “at least”] 2 nights at each place. We haven’t done a long-distance trip yet but I think I’d stick with those rules, except I could see staying one night at places when you’re trying to get somewhere. So maybe the "22" rule LOL.
Good to strive for and get most out of enjoying the journey. Haha 22! Maybe some day.
Old 06-11-2022, 11:14 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven M View Post
Jim, the problem with tolls isn't paying them, though EZ-Pass or in my case I-Pass is the easy way to go, it's the cost. A 75 cent toll is around $3.75 with the trailer in Illinois. The toll doubles without an EZ-Pass or I-Pass

My pleasure to be of some assistance. As noted above by Jim/CPAHarley if you can open an account with EZ-Pass. You can do this online and they'll send you the transponder to place in your car. Just make sure that you give them both plate to you tow vehicle and the trailer
Just now picked up on this thread...thanks so much for the help. We will definitely look into the EZ-Pass.
Disneyfan
Old 06-11-2022, 11:18 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
We just returned home on I80/I70 from Osoyoos/California yesterday. We hit snow/sleet/freezing rain in Wyoming but otherwise a safe trip. Beautiful scenery accompanies the nasty weather.
Glad to hear it all went well in spite of the Wyoming weather and you made it home safely.
Old 06-11-2022, 11:27 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
Interesting. We have often stopped in Hazelton overnight on the way to and from Virginia, where daughter's family lives. The lights from the motel parking lots generally drown out the sky.

If we're camping we sometimes stay overnight at Locust Lake State Park, down I81 near Frackville. One time there was an amazing starry display—but it turned out to be a neighboring camper who was projecting starlights onto the trees.

Disneyfan
Old 06-11-2022, 11:31 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Pittsburgh View Post
Hello Disneyfan,

Sounds like you're headed for a great adventure.

You might consider a day or two at Cuyahoga Valley National Park, off of I-80 in Ohio. Spending much of my life in various parts of PA, I always thought of OH as flat & boring, but this is a little gem. Though less Wow Factor here than at places like the Grand Canyon, it has something for everyone: hiking, local history, kayaking, & lovely scenery. We weren't camping during our visit here, so can't recommend a campground.

Have a safe trip!

Hey Lorraine,
Thanks for the trip tip. It will come in handy as we plan on where to make stops. We have such a beautiful country! So happy to have opportunity to see more of it in our Escape.
Disneyfan

Tags
cross country trip rt 80