Crossing from the US into Canada ( BC) - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2022, 10:04 AM   #1
LLM

Trailer: 2021 E19
Crossing from the US into Canada ( BC)

I am trying to find the requirements for bringing in fruits and vegetables but the information is vague. Most are home grown so have no origin stickers. Can anyone comment on this? I know potatoes are not allowed per their information and also that things are fluid. Any recent experiences?
Thanks
LLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 10:16 AM   #2

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
It has to be grown in USA and in the original package or it may get confiscated. IE.. no homegrown.
Old 09-11-2022, 10:23 AM   #3
LLM

Thank you- so sad for us gardeners!
Old 09-11-2022, 10:41 AM   #4

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
I can't take homegrown fruit from Western Washington and travel into Eastern washington, it is prohibited.
Old 09-11-2022, 12:18 PM   #5
LLM

Well, May be so but thankfully there are no border guards! My family in Bellingham would be pretty disappointed if I could not bring my produce
Are you sure that is all produce.?
Old 09-11-2022, 12:23 PM   #6

Trailer: Looking for 15b
Crossing from US into Canada
Fruits and vegetables that are also grown in Canada commercially are not allowed in - apples, pears, plums, apricots, peaches, blueberries, corn etc. Also they weren’t letting eggs in, not sure if that has changed.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 12:26 PM   #7
LLM

Yeah- we are leaving the eggs out of the mix
Thanks for responding
Old 09-11-2022, 03:39 PM   #8

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud 1988
We got rid of everything that was not purchased and in original store containers, going both ways. No fresh fruits or veggies. Bought them as soon as we crossed the borders.
No issues.

CindyL
CindyL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 05:01 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
When I went to the Escape rally I did not take any fresh veggies or fruit into Canada. Coming back into the US for each item you don't declare it's a 300 dollar fine if it's something you can't import. I imagine Canada has the same type of fines.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 06:03 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Bananas

We just brought bananas from Canada into the US, declared them, no problem.
rog mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 06:35 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by diannelgraham View Post
When I went to the Escape rally I did not take any fresh veggies or fruit into Canada. Coming back into the US for each item you don't declare it's a 300 dollar fine if it's something you can't import. I imagine Canada has the same type of fines.
Unless things have changed that's not been our experience.

We were busted for 2 green onions the first time. We were told that they weren't allowed and our crime was noted.

Coming back from Baja we knew we had to dump a half of a grapefruit but we were "in the chute" before we could. No worries because we'd entered the US many times with our boat knowing we had stuff that wasn't allowed. No big deal, just put it in the garbage can provided. In the Baja case we declared that we had to dispose of the grapefruit. Got sent to secondary inspection and got the border guard from H... She said by driving up to the booth we'd already smuggled the grapefruit in. Then she went ballistic saying that because I had a Nexus card I should have known better. Big discussion inside the building and then she came out and said if there's a next time it'd be an $800 fine and I'd probably loose my Nexus card.

Of course with the truck being in my name that made me chief culprit. The irony was that when our Nexus cards came up for renewal I was fully expecting to have to go in for an interview and my wife wouldn't have to. Nope, she was miffed that she had to go in for an interview and I got my card in the mail.

So that's why we just take known to be OK stuff with us and hit up a big supermarket once we've crossed. Also works coming into Canada, we actually have well stocked stores.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 10:29 AM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLM View Post
Yeah- we are leaving the eggs out of the mix
Thanks for responding
Poultry was not allowed in July, not sure what's happening now. On the other hand- nobody asked. Usually they do but the past 2 entries into Canada, I think I got asked only about the dogs. (The guy at the truck crossing was odd, he asked if I had more dogs or any people in the trailer- are people getting smuggled into Canada now??)
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 04:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Poultry was not allowed in July, not sure what's happening now.
It can change suddenly. OK once coming into Canada from Alaska, two weeks later not OK.

Ron
Old 09-13-2022, 09:13 AM   #14

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Post six states that any fruit grown in Canada cannot be taken into the US. Well, any fruit or veg are not allowed into the US. I cannot believe that in post ten bananas were OK.

I didn't ask when crossing into MN last week about chicken and eggs, just stated I had no meat, fruits or veg before I was asked. Next Monday we enter MN again enroute the Miss. River Rendezvous and will ask what the current situation is. Of course we shall not be carrying anything but staples intending to stock up on the way once in the US.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 07:20 PM   #15

Trailer: 2021 5.0
I am so envious of you Canadians being allowed to have a secure southern border…
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 07:36 PM   #16

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Post six states that any fruit grown in Canada cannot be taken into the US. Well, any fruit or veg are not allowed into the US. I cannot believe that in post ten bananas were OK.

I didn't ask when crossing into MN last week about chicken and eggs, just stated I had no meat, fruits or veg before I was asked. Next Monday we enter MN again enroute the Miss. River Rendezvous and will ask what the current situation is. Of course we shall not be carrying anything but staples intending to stock up on the way once in the US.
I witnessed a family with 2 small children being held at U.S. customs in Vancouver International Airport for carrying bananas in their carry-on luggage. The bananas were on-flight snacks for their children. They were forced to miss their flight because of the "delay".

Best not to carry fruit, vegetables, meat, poultry across the border either way.
DGLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 10:20 AM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19'
Yeah...and no frozen chicken allowed this year:-( Prepared at home in the US, crossed into Canada for the Rally without a problem, BUT returning to the US with the frozen chicken was a disaster. They confiscated all frozen chicken and pork tenderloin (I guess it looked like chicken)...all pre-seasoned and packaged for single use dinners. I was cautioned sternly that if I couldn't give the exact # of packages I had they would fine me $300...then they quietly told me I could give a # and add "and maybe more" to avoid the fine:-( I did not enjoy the crossing back home into the US.
Old 09-21-2022, 03:42 PM   #18

It's the randomness that gets me. Depends on who you get.

For two years prior to Covid I was making almost weekly trips to Arlington. Sometimes, with a Nexus card, most of the time, it was almost a rolling stop. Then, whammo, the twenty questions routine done with not the nicest of manners. So despite the majority of the crossings being uneventful there's always a bit of apprehension there, will this be the time that I get the agent from .....

Ron
Old 09-21-2022, 06:24 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' and 2004 Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
I am so envious of you Canadians being allowed to have a secure southern border…

GOLDEN!
RBRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 07:21 PM   #20

Trailer: 2019 Escape
Go check the regulations

Check the personal limits from the Canadian Government website.
The rules are to protect countries from importing pests etc. inadvertently and thought it may seem silly we all have seen thousands of invasive plants and insects, etc.
Here is a link I use
https://inspection.canada.ca/food-safety-for-consumers/bringing-food-into-canada-for-personal-use/eng/1389630031549/1389630282362
HarpShallTravel is offline   Reply With Quote