Dilemma... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > COVID-19 | Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2020, 09:42 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Dilemma...

Here is our dilemma. We had hoped to return to Osoyoos this May as well as stop in California on the way to see Noelia's dying sibling. But Noelia is on cancer drugs and the current virus situation prohibits long distance travel. We are like dogs in a cage, itching to get out but restrained at the same time. I'd like to reserve a spot at Nk Mip but right now I'm hesitating. Each day the news predicts a larger spread area and the run on masks in the stores has been eye opening. I'm in a "wait n see" mode. Any suggestions to alleviate our concerns.....would be appreciated.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:03 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I share your concerns. I have a suppressed autoimmune system and if I catch it, it could kill me. BUT, I am not going to be a prisoner of 'what ifs,' prefer to plan and then adapt as necessary. So, I'd go ahead an plan as if this doesn't exist. It may not by time you want to travel... and if it doesn't you can adapt to whatever your needs are.

Be well, be safe. Practice safety protocols and good hygiene.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:45 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I too am the type that, while exercising some precaution, does not make any decisions based on stuff like this virus given it's extremely low existence in North America.

If this could affect her a lot worse due to the drugs she is taking, then I would be much more cautious.

And who knows what effects the virus will have in 3 months, that is just a bad guessing game.

Good luck in your decision making.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:52 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Well compared to cancelation fees for cruises or other “major” vacations at resorts, With fishing guides etc, the cancellation fee or even knocking out your whole cost is pretty minor at Nk Mip. Everybody’s situation is different. Get out the notebook paper, write down the positives and negatives and prioritize them, stay flexible (prepared) and use the best judgement you’ve gained in your approaching century on Earth. Be aware that this is a combined decision and all parties need respected. YMMV
Iowa Dave
Old 02-28-2020, 11:02 AM   #5

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
It's impossible to predict what the situation may be by May. If it were me I'd go ahead and make reservations, if this blows over quickly then you'd be all set for the trip. If things worsen and you can't travel, then whatever cancellation fee you incur would be worth knowing that you have a spot reserved if you are able to go. Think how you'd feel if this turns out to be not a huge lasting impact and it would be clear to go but you didn't make reservations.....vs. losing a few bucks if you make reservations and have to cancel.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:02 AM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Traveling with a trailer would not worry me. You can stay as isolated as you can at home.

But if in May there is widespread coronavirus activity, the last place you want to be is at a rally with a few hundred people from all over- at least not at the group events inside, not on a wine tour bus, not going to share a meal. Especially not if immune-compromised.

But if me I'd probably delay the decision as long as possible and see what's happening in North America. It has been fairly well-contained here (compared to other places) so far and if that changes it is likely to change soon. Former CDC director calls this "the calm before the storm" but says while it is almost certain to spread widely, the severity is unknown.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 11:36 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Bobbie makes a good point that I hadn't even thought about yet with gatherings of large groups from all over. I'm really glad at this point that the Quartzsite gathering was prior to the announcements this last week, or we'd have incurred a lot of no shows.
The visit to Noelia's sister would seem to be the more important of the two, Jim, but at the moment CA is one of the areas with the some of the most cases.
I'd probably plan the trip, and make any reservations since it isn't much cost to cancel them, and then just see how things shake out.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:56 PM   #8

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Here is our dilemma. We had hoped to return to Osoyoos this May as well as stop in California on the way to see Noelia's dying sibling. But Noelia is on cancer drugs and the current virus situation prohibits long distance travel. We are like dogs in a cage, itching to get out but restrained at the same time. I'd like to reserve a spot at Nk Mip but right now I'm hesitating. Each day the news predicts a larger spread area and the run on masks in the stores has been eye opening. I'm in a "wait n see" mode. Any suggestions to alleviate our concerns.....would be appreciated.
Hi Jim, that is a lot to think and worry about....but you know there always seem to be some folks ready to fill in a canceled spot for Nk"Mip.

Wolf definitely is immune compromised, I've made a ton of reservation including a ferry from Port Hardy on Van.Is. to Prince Rupert and we are"just fingrers crossed" and would not cancel till the last second...... hope we get to see you guys. ( at this point we are not worried about the covid 19 )
Old 02-28-2020, 01:07 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Hi: cpaharley2008... Come up to Canada. Our air is so clean we don't even have cabin air filters in our trucks!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 01:30 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
My wife recently went through treatment for cancer and has COPD
We have already made camping reservations for several trips this Summer
We are hoping things do not go from bad to worse but if the risks rise to unreasonable levels , we will just cancel and eat the loss
I wish I was confident that we can get this thing under control but I am not at this point .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 01:50 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Try purchasing some masks somewhere.......eeekkk!
Old 02-28-2020, 02:25 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
My wife recently went through treatment for cancer and has COPD
We have already made camping reservations for several trips this Summer
We are hoping things do not go from bad to worse but if the risks rise to unreasonable levels , we will just cancel and eat the loss
I wish I was confident that we can get this thing under control but I am not at this point .
I feel your apprehension on the current situation surrounding all of this. Let's just hope this passes quickly and we can get back on the road. We have quite a few trips and concerts planned this summer and two involve multiple day music festivals with lots of people in a small area. UGH!!!
Old 02-28-2020, 04:16 PM   #13

Trailer: Decisions, decisions
Were you so afraid of dying from the "regular" flu in 2017/'18 that you hid in the basement all year??

"Influenza killed about 80,000 people in the 2017-2018 season, according to figures released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The previous high for a regular flu season, based on analyses dating back more than three decades, was 56,000 deaths.Sep 27, 2018"

"So far, 16,000 people have died and 280,000 people have been hospitalized during the 2019-2020 flu season, according to preliminary estimates from the CDC. "The flu season began early this year and took off aggressively," added Schaffner."

Don't let you fears cripple your life.
Take the normal flu season safety procedures then get on with it.

At least that's our plan.

Sam
Old 02-28-2020, 04:17 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
When discretionary spending and decisions to not attend a concert, fair, rally, car race etc. are considered it doesn’t take long to realize the potential economic consequences of this “event”. I would guess that there are some highly seasonal tourist attractions that are pretty apprehensive right about now. Like others have expressed, we hope for the best and plan for the worst.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-28-2020, 04:27 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
Were you so afraid of dying from the "regular" flu in 2017/'18 that you hid in the basement all year??

"Influenza killed about 80,000 people in the 2017-2018 season, according to figures released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The previous high for a regular flu season, based on analyses dating back more than three decades, was 56,000 deaths.Sep 27, 2018"

"So far, 16,000 people have died and 280,000 people have been hospitalized during the 2019-2020 flu season, according to preliminary estimates from the CDC. "The flu season began early this year and took off aggressively," added Schaffner."

Don't let you fears cripple your life.
Take the normal flu season safety procedures then get on with it.

At least that's our plan.

Sam
We have no plans to alter our itinerary for the rest of the year. We've always just use common sense. It would take a serious event to make us reconsider. Years ago we went to Europe during the whole swine flu scare. I vividly remember walking through pans of disinfectant to sanitize our shoes at airports and train stations. Life goes on. Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
Old 02-28-2020, 05:51 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
So I heard this was on the radio, Feb. 24 on his radio show: "Now, I want to tell you the truth about the coronavirus … I’m dead right on this... it's just like the flu..."

Dead right is right. Phew, thanks, big guy, I feel better already but aahh, -- think I'll wait to hear what Mike Pence has to say. ...Only 80K?

...Oh, gee, I don't know, it's like... (on) which level do you trust?
Old 02-28-2020, 06:33 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
We've been short on news for the last few weeks.

Now I know why a friend commented yesterday about us getting home and then going on a cruise in two weeks adding "I don't know if I'd do that given the current situation."

Unless things get really bad we' ll still go. Fortunately it's a small ship but the plane ride is probably the most dangerous part for contacting something.

Anyway, good luck Jim on making your decision.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:07 PM   #18

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Perspective

The Spanish flu pandemic of 1918, the deadliest in history, infected an estimated 500 million people worldwide—about one-third of the planet’s population—and killed an estimated 20 million to 50 million victims, including some 675,000 Americans. (History.com)
Old 02-28-2020, 10:25 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape
What is the dilemma? You might lose a deposit on the campsite? First world problems.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:57 AM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
What is the dilemma? You might lose a deposit on the campsite? First world problems.
I understand your point , if the only loss is a couple of bucks it’s a minor issue !
My wife went through treatment for lung cancer , a year of imuno therapy , has COPD and a compromised immune system . She gets multiple flu shots every year.
I don’t want to lose my wife of 50 years and I don’t consider it a first world problem or a minor issue .
We will take whatever steps we feel necessary to protect her health and if some feel this is extreme so be it
I have little confidence in our governments effort to stop the spread of this disease and so far both sides have treated it like a campaign issue with lots of finger pointing but no real effort to solve the problem .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote