Dog along for the trip - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2023, 03:53 PM   #21

Trailer: 2022 Keystone Cougar 29RLKWE & RAM 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Four or five angles that we experience.
We do not leave the dog alone at the camper.
If we go somewhere he goes with us. And if we want to go through a
Museum, one of us goes then the spouse goes.
Same with using the showers, remote restroom etc.
Sometimes we camp with friends. If any of the other couples have a dog or need dog sitters,
we trade off.
We go to pet friendly restaurants in the summer where the dog can stay outside with us.
At osoyoos when they have the wine tours people trade off on watching each other’s dogs.
Some people pay for local doggy day care.
Short leash, no barking, plenty of water, owner interaction with a socialized dog and there’s not much of a problem.
When my kids and grandkids camp with us and they want to go off on a day trip, I watch their dogs. I’d as soon do that as go somewhere.
Follow the rules and you’ll be ok. Remember Murphy’s law and I guarantee you that you cannot dream up all the possible scenarios of what can go wrong.
Pick up the dog poop, neighbors will approve.
Hope these perspectives are helpful
Jake and Rita at Thompson COE last fall, Dog Parade.
Very popular.

Iowa Dave
I do what Iowa Dave does. Also depending on the time of year (summer) think about leaving your dog in your Escape and the air conditioning quits working. The trailer heats up really quickly. Could kill your dog. How about in the event of a fire in your trailer. Highly unlikely but possible. I treat my dog like my child. If I wouldn't do it to my child, I won't do it to my dog. Also, you did say what breed of dog. Campgrounds have rules against pit bulls, Dobermans, and other such breeds.
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 06:12 PM   #22

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
I must confess

Here's a Champion! The smartest, strongest, bravest dog in the Tri-County area is pictured here.
Lefty, was his moniker. He's been gone, dog gone, long gone, but remembered.
And yes, he was a "south paw".

Take 'em.....everywhere, always.
Attached Thumbnails
P1010353.jpg  
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 06:50 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT6 View Post
I have had to spray 4 dogs in the past 12 months.
I have owned a dog most of my adult life, have camped both in the backcountry while skiing, hiking or canoeing, and for quite a while now in a travel trailer, and not once have I had been in a situation where I would need to use spray on a dog. This is something I would not do anyhow as I am bigger than any dog and can be meaner if needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
I do keep my dog under control at all times
I have always done this with any dog I have had. A well trained dog is not only nicer to be around, there is just less problems with them whether alone or in a group as when camping.

Jasper, who passed 18 months ago, has been hiking, ski touring, on canoe trips and was with us almost every time with the trailer. There are hundreds of Escape owners who know him. Some even watched him while we went on wine tours.

I have left dogs in the trailer while on outings if needed, I always ensure the temperature is good for them. If going for a long while I will find a sitter one rover.com, a place I have found a few good ones.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 07:26 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
To the OP, people have given good advice here. Follow that and you'll be fine.

Watch out for off leash dogs. My dog has been attacked by a Golden Retriever one time and a Husky in separate instances. Both caught me unawares. Both were declared "friendly" by their owners. Both owners got tickets. Bad experience. Now I'm never without a police canister of Sabre Red pepper spray. It works great as I've had to use it a time or two.
advenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 08:39 AM   #25

Trailer: Scamp 19, Tradewinds 24, Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlakeman View Post
I do what Iowa Dave does. Also depending on the time of year (summer) think about leaving your dog in your Escape and the air conditioning quits working. The trailer heats up really quickly. Could kill your dog. How about in the event of a fire in your trailer. Highly unlikely but possible. I treat my dog like my child. If I wouldn't do it to my child, I won't do it to my dog. Also, you did say what breed of dog. Campgrounds have rules against pit bulls, Dobermans, and other such breeds.
Our dogs were small and slept most of the time. We bought a waggle rv temperature monitor that works off the cell network. It alerts if the power goes out and if the temperature goes out of range. The price was worth the ability to safely venture out while camping while letting the dogs sleep.

We also have combo locks on our door, so that we could call a campground if there was an issue and they could get in, but we never wandered too far from the trailer.

If we had active dogs that would have been cruel, but our dogs were lazy and loved going camping.

You’ll have to figure out what works for your dog and your camping style.

But never be the person who walks away from their trailer while the dog is barking and dismisses it with “they’ll stop when we’re gone.” They won’t and your fellow campers will not be happy.
Keith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 05:11 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
One of the biggest reasons we camp is so we can take our dogs with us, to me they're part of the family so they go on vacation when we do. Sure they get left alone but never for more then 3 hours, we rarely camp when it is hot enough to run an AC and when we do would not leave them for very long in case the power were to go out. Not once has anyone said anything to us regarding the dogs being left alone, like others have mentioned pretty sure they are snoozing while we are gone since that's what they do most of the time. Our dogs LOVE going camping, no way I would live them at home or board them.

Enjoy the road and smooth travels,

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 10:39 PM   #27

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Here's a Champion! The smartest, strongest, bravest dog in the Tri-County area is pictured here.
Lefty, was his moniker. He's been gone, dog gone, long gone, but remembered.
And yes, he was a "south paw".

Take 'em.....everywhere, always.
Can't agree more. Great photo, Tom. If that doesn't melt ya, nothing will.

Cheers,
Darrell
DGLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 12:02 PM   #28

Trailer: 21
Oscar

I’d like to introduce our newest member of our family “ OSCAR “ he’s a German boxer and will be traveling with us in all our adventures
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1274.jpg  
Old 06-11-2023, 12:30 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
I’d like to introduce our newest member of our family “ OSCAR “ he’s a German boxer and will be traveling with us in all our adventures
Cute and travelling with a dog is a great icebreaker for meeting new folks.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 01:26 PM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Aw, what a cutie! Welcome Oscar.

I can honestly say I would rather travel with most dogs rather than most humans(not including Linda. Linda is really fun to travel with).
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 08:51 PM   #31

Trailer: 2002 Bigfoot 21
I bought our trailer to support my dog hobby. So, yes we travel with our dogs.

Power outages occur frequently, so we do not leave our dogs alone in the trailer.

We have dog kennels with water buckets in our SUV. The dogs go with us when we drive to the store or out to eat. If it’s particularly warm, one of us will stay with the car while the other goes shopping. If we go to a restaurant that does not have outside seating we sit where we can see the car.

If we go site seeing, one of us stays outside with the dogs while the other checks out the Art gallery or specialty shop.

The better behaved the dog, the more laces you can bring them. We spend a lot of time & energy obedience training & socializing our puppies. We take them to outside restaurants & malls so they learn good manners around people, other dogs and in crowds.
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 09:27 PM   #32

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:

Great! I'm going to have to bring this guy along to pick up my new E19. Working line Aussie, "Storm", Boyd Ranch MV Vineyard Nor-easter. Born 6 days early! Was hoping to bring the Trailer to get him!
Attached Thumbnails
6 weeks.jpg  
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 09:49 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
When you have a 6 pound dog you know all about that. You also know that a broken leg is $5,000 or amputation to repair.

And every large dog bounding up is accompanied by an owner who says, "don't worry he's friendly."

Ron

I hate that! As I have one that is VERY reactive to a strange dog, Bounding up top him! Then there are the people who do leash, BUT, will NOT put the collar on tight enough, & the dog slips out of it. Just had that happen to my reactive dog! Luckily when the owner tried to catch it, it decided it was more fun to play keep away from owner, than bug my dog. Mine are trained, this past weekend's haul, Obedaince, Rally & Agility, etc. 1st time back in the ring after 12 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Fog 1st AKC AG & BN ribbons.jpg   1st AKC Trials.jpg  
Old 06-11-2023, 10:04 PM   #34

This will be my 5th boxer. All have been throughly trained to where I wouldn’t have to have them on a leash but when out n about they always were on a leash n halter setup. German boxer are in the 100 lb range hench the halter. No way they can pull out like they can with just a collar if for some reason they didn’t obey. Never had that happen ( knock on wood ). One needs to socialize their fur babies so they don’t get all bent out of shape and know how to behave in public.
Old 06-11-2023, 10:52 PM   #35

Quote:
This will be my 5th boxer. All have been throughly trained to where I wouldn’t have to have them on a leash but when out n about they always were on a leash n halter setup. German boxer are in the 100 lb range hench the halter. No way they can pull out like they can with just a collar if for some reason they didn’t obey. Never had that happen ( knock on wood ). One needs to socialize their fur babies so they don’t get all bent out of shape and know how to behave in public.

My reactive one WAS attacked twice from loose dogs! when young. I guessing during a fear period. It took me 8 yrs, to get him normal, UNTIL a loose dog comes after him. I think I will start carrying some kind of spray.
Old 06-12-2023, 06:17 AM   #36

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Be very mindful of disrespectful dog owners who see no reason to leash their dogs.

This weekend while taking a short camping trip with friends our Shih Tzu was ATTACHED by two OFF LEASH PIT BULLS!!!!!!

Fortunately, one had a harness that allowed me to pull it away while another came running in grabbing Shoji by the shoulders and violating shaking him. My good friend who just happened to had picked up a piece of firewood moments before proceeded to beat the other as hard as he could him the head. He said he heard his skull crack and then he dog turned towards but he hit it squarely in the facing and the dog ran away long enough for my wife to dive down and picked up Shoji.

The owner had run over during all this but got tripped up in Shoji's leash and fell to the ground next to my friend. When he started to get up I thought my friend was going to beat him with the log as well. I think is he said "Stay down before I beat you like a dog".

As I've heard many, many times. "He's never bitten anyone before."

Unbelievably Shoji was only bleeding from a small patch of hair that had been pulled out. He was a little stiff the next morning but now appears to be unaffected.

This all happened in a blink of an eye in a nice quiet campground. We are all in our 60's and any one of us could have been mauled or even had a heart attack during this quick high energy event. Old hearts don't like going from 70 to 170 beat per minutes in a few seconds.

Imagine if a 75 year old Grandma and Grandpa Escape Owner had been taking a stroll with their cute 18 month old grand daughter and TWO OFF LEASH PIT BULLS attacked her.

If another Off Leash Dog, friendly or aggressive, crosses my path again I can assure you it will never cross it again. Leash your dogs!
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 08:39 AM   #37

Totally agree with the above 2 post. Unless your fur baby is in the house or in their secure properly fence yard they should, must be on a leash. And when someone start coming up they should be right by your side short leashed until proper introductions are done and established. When out walking my babies I always carry pepper spray just in case of a stray dog comes outta no where and it has happened. Quick squirt of spray n stray leaves. All owners must mindful of others in keeping themselves, fur babies and others safe.
Old 06-12-2023, 09:47 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
Be very mindful of disrespectful dog owners who see no reason to leash their dogs.

This weekend while taking a short camping trip with friends our Shih Tzu was ATTACHED by two OFF LEASH PIT BULLS!!!!!!

Fortunately, one had a harness that allowed me to pull it away while another came running in grabbing Shoji by the shoulders and violating shaking him. My good friend who just happened to had picked up a piece of firewood moments before proceeded to beat the other as hard as he could him the head. He said he heard his skull crack and then he dog turned towards but he hit it squarely in the facing and the dog ran away long enough for my wife to dive down and picked up Shoji.

The owner had run over during all this but got tripped up in Shoji's leash and fell to the ground next to my friend. When he started to get up I thought my friend was going to beat him with the log as well. I think is he said "Stay down before I beat you like a dog".

As I've heard many, many times. "He's never bitten anyone before."

Unbelievably Shoji was only bleeding from a small patch of hair that had been pulled out. He was a little stiff the next morning but now appears to be unaffected.

This all happened in a blink of an eye in a nice quiet campground. We are all in our 60's and any one of us could have been mauled or even had a heart attack during this quick high energy event. Old hearts don't like going from 70 to 170 beat per minutes in a few seconds.

Imagine if a 75 year old Grandma and Grandpa Escape Owner had been taking a stroll with their cute 18 month old grand daughter and TWO OFF LEASH PIT BULLS attacked her.

If another Off Leash Dog, friendly or aggressive, crosses my path again I can assure you it will never cross it again. Leash your dogs!

You are SO lucky!!!!! 2 dogs make a "pack", a whole nother level of Drive. This is the out come of the all positive world. Add that everyone thinks they have the right to pet & jazz your dog up. Not mine. They ARE my dogs, yes, even out in public. I have had to go to harnesses with "In Training" & "Do NOT Pet". People STILL ask?! I'm trying to train them to ignore people! I hate to say it, they are not fur babies, they are DOGS. With all the instincts of dogs.
Old 06-12-2023, 09:57 AM   #39

Dogs, mutts, mongrels, and yes fur babies. Call them what you like I treat mine like family cause they are family not just a dog. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on what to call them
Old 06-12-2023, 10:48 AM   #40

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I

The better behaved the dog, the more laces you can bring them.
You have that right. We had a Pom that flew back and forth to Europe with us while in a soft kennel under the seat ahead of us. She seemed to know that once in the kennel she was to remain quiet. Maybe because she knew at some point that there would be a chicken or beef option.

Funniest point ever travelling with her was upon landing we took her out and had her on our lap. The person ahead stood up and saw her. The look was priceless. She had no clue whatsoever that the little dog had spent 10 hours under her seat.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote