Dog along for the trip - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2023, 10:28 AM   #1

Trailer: none
Dog along for the trip

We are new to this world and have a general question about bringing a dog along.

What are people's experiences at campgrounds? We have noted some that are pretty clear about NEVER leaving a dog alone in your camper or car.
It seems possible that a situation would occur where you have to leave your dog for a period of time in order to take care of a trip to the showers or maybe an emergency. Then if short periods or emergencies were excusable, do people push the envelope into longer periods, like a bike ride?

Our dog is a non-barker who is comfortable being alone. We would obviously never leave her in a situation where she would be unattended outside or in an overheated environment. Our concern is not with our dog, but we want to be good citizens.

Any experiences to share? Thanks!
kfreedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 10:36 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We have been camping with dogs since my first Escape and before then. There are 2 of us, thus one stays when the other has to leave for what ever reason. While at Osoyoos, my wife and I take turns with the 2 dogs, works out well......
Old 01-13-2023, 11:31 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
We have been camping with dogs since my first Escape and before then. There are 2 of us, thus one stays when the other has to leave for what ever reason. While at Osoyoos, my wife and I take turns with the 2 dogs, works out well......
We really have no problems with the dog. If your dog is well behaved and just lays in his bed waiting for your return. The key is teaching the dog camping life before ya go.

Our little dog has his bed in the trailer. We have a 15 so everyone has their place.His place is wherever we put his small bed. He also has his own chair outside and has been taught to ride in our fold up wagon.

Sometimes we take turns, sometimes we leave him in the trailer. If we are going several hours in the truck he goes. Three years no issues .

If we leave him in trailer and it’s warm, we turn on the AC.
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 11:56 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
I will however say legally it maybe murky waters for a campground to enforce a rule which says can’t leave dog alone in your house.

If your dog is quite causing no issues and you leave for short time, who’s to know? Let’s say your neighbor sees you leave without your dog to take a shower. And reports to campground.

The campground enforcement has to confirm the complaint. How ? Are they going to peek in your windows? It is well established law , that you have a expectation of privacy, motorhome,tent,trailer whatever you are sleeping in.

If there is no other issue other than a person accusing you of leaving a pet a few minutes. I doubt that’s a issue. Trailers are not cars or trucks, they are homes.

Sure you sign a rules agreement and the campground could maybe ask you to leave, or not come back if it’s private property. But they can’t and shouldn’t violate your right to privacy to prove their case.

I am just saying using good common sense will see you through 99%. And I do my best to follow all rules. But I am not going to fret leaving my well behaved dog for few minutes in my house on a spot a paid for if the need arises.

If my camping neighbor left their well behaved dog to shower, or go to the office,restroom. No problem ,I mind my own business.
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 12:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfreedman View Post
We are new to this world and have a general question about bringing a dog along.

Our dog is a non-barker who is comfortable being alone. We would obviously never leave her in a situation where she would be unattended outside or in an overheated environment. Our concern is not with our dog, but we want to be good citizens.

Any experiences to share? Thanks!
I've never been to a campground that said not in the car and usually they just say unattended outside. But if the dog doesn't bark they don't know where you left it. What most are trying to avoid are noisy dogs left to annoy other campers. I'm sure in some climates they are also trying to prevent dead dogs. Barring those two things I have no problem with leaving mine for a short time when I know they will be quiet and I know it will not be too hot or too cold.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 12:30 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
The campground enforcement has to confirm the complaint. How ? Are they going to peek in your windows? It is well established law , that you have a expectation of privacy, motorhome,tent,trailer whatever you are sleeping in.
How about something as simple as knocking on the door of the RV? A bit harder with a tent. I've never heard about a dog that doesn't bark at a knock on the door or a door bell that's ringing even in their own home.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 01:01 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
It really depends on the dog. We had one dog that when left in the boat would bark non-stop. We had another dog that ended up with more frequent flyer points than most folks. She could snooze in her little soft kennel under the seat of someone flying Vancouver-London and they wouldn't know their was a dog under their seat. Except if they saw mid-flight me giving her a choice; chicken or beef.

Our present dog just goes and curls up in her little bed under the table. We can be gone for several hours and she just keeps snoozing.

So it depends on where your dog fits in that spectrum.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 01:26 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
How about something as simple as knocking on the door of the RV? A big harder with a tent. I've never heard about a dog that doesn't bark at a knock on the door or a door bell that's ringing even in their own home.
Well, that could happen, but if the management is knocking there is probably a problem already and if it is a friend, they know I have a dog. And they'd do that with me inside, too, left alone or not.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 01:54 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Smile

Mark Twain once famously explained why he liked cats. He said,
"They don't bark."
Me...never had a problem. Of course, Josie might be mostly the exception.
Attached Thumbnails
Josiecat.jpg   Josiecat1.jpg  
Old 01-13-2023, 02:05 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Dogs

Four or five angles that we experience.
We do not leave the dog alone at the camper.
If we go somewhere he goes with us. And if we want to go through a
Museum, one of us goes then the spouse goes.
Same with using the showers, remote restroom etc.
Sometimes we camp with friends. If any of the other couples have a dog or need dog sitters,
we trade off.
We go to pet friendly restaurants in the summer where the dog can stay outside with us.
At osoyoos when they have the wine tours people trade off on watching each other’s dogs.
Some people pay for local doggy day care.
Short leash, no barking, plenty of water, owner interaction with a socialized dog and there’s not much of a problem.
When my kids and grandkids camp with us and they want to go off on a day trip, I watch their dogs. I’d as soon do that as go somewhere.
Follow the rules and you’ll be ok. Remember Murphy’s law and I guarantee you that you cannot dream up all the possible scenarios of what can go wrong.
Pick up the dog poop, neighbors will approve.
Hope these perspectives are helpful
Jake and Rita at Thompson COE last fall, Dog Parade.
Very popular.

Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
376BEC4A-4EA3-491D-A4CF-0FA2FBA31CA0.jpg  
Old 01-13-2023, 03:39 PM   #11
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
We have had a few issues, but they are ones you should be aware of. The first is that at almost any campground we have stayed at, there is almost always one incident of a dog owner not leashing their dog(s).

In some of these instances the dogs were aggressive. That is why I always carry some type of pepper spray or bear spray whenever I walk our dog. I also keep a can handy when we are sitting outside. I have had to spray 4 dogs in the past 12 months. In every instance the owner apparently thought it was bad to leash their dog, and fortunately I had spray available and used it liberally.

Just keep enough handy to use on the owner if they get upset with you. In most instances the owners turned around and just left after they collected their dog. Most of the time they apologized, but one time I almost had to spray the owner. Fortunately I think they saw I still had the spray and just left.

Our dog is not a barker either and we do leave him in the trailer if it is not going to be too hot. We did have one instance a few weeks ago when we tried to drive to a parking garage to see a local attraction and the parking venue would not let anyone park and leave an animal in the car.

One thing you might consider if you are worried is to install a combination lock on your door. If you are away from camp and are worried about your dog, you would be able to call someone at the camp to let your dog out if you can't get back in time.
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 05:12 PM   #12

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Our dog Shoji goes everywhere with us. He's very spoiled.

He has been is 26 states so far.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 05:37 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT6 View Post

there is almost always one incident of a dog owner not leashing their dog(s).
When you have a 6 pound dog you know all about that. You also know that a broken leg is $5,000 or amputation to repair.

And every large dog bounding up is accompanied by an owner who says, "don't worry he's friendly."

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 05:45 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
We take our dog ( Heeler/Shepherd cross) everywhere. We even took her to Chilliwack to view our 5.0. All she needed was proof of ownership and vaccinations. She has been to all kinds of campgrounds and we have left her in the trailer with no issues. She truly is a non-barker even for door knocks and door bell rings.

National Parks get a bit tricky as the rules vary so make sure you study up before you go. Have fun traveling with your fur-kid.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 06:38 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Jake has crossed the border into Canada 18 times and back into the USA 18 times. He melted one of the toughest looking USBorder guards at Detroit one year. The guy noticed we had handed him the vaccination record and immediately realized I had rolled down the drivers side window so he could look into the kennel. He had bees brusque and then said “is that a puppy dog you have there? confirmed by me he said “He’s pretty what kind is he?” We don’t have much trouble in the campsites and I’m happy about that.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-14-2023, 02:33 AM   #16

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I do leave my dog in my camper for short periods when weather allows usually don’t bark in the camper unless someone knocks. I often leave the air conditioner on or fan or radio and close the blinds so they just sleep. Being single it’s pretty tough to always have someone with your dog. For the wine trip at the rally we have connected with other dog owners so they can check on my dog and I check on theirs when they go. I make sure the dogs are tired before I leave them. Never had an issue but I don’t leave them tied outside or they would bark etc… become a problem.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 08:48 AM   #17

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT6 View Post
Just keep enough handy to use on the owner if they get upset with you. In most instances the owners turned around and just left after they collected their dog. Most of the time they apologized, but one time I almost had to spray the owner. Fortunately I think they saw I still had the spray and just left.
I’ve been attacked by dogs a couple of times, a pitbull attacked me once and I became aware of how different they are. After getting stitched up I also became aware of how different the owners are.
A walking stick or spray is fine with most dogs, but don’t think these are like most dogs.
Using spray on a dog owner is a pretty aggressive move, things can quickly escalate, do be careful…
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 08:56 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
One of my favorite dog stories was when we were in Yosemite this past, early May. We went to the Ansel Adams Gallery. I stayed with Sage on the large porch while Linda went in, with the plan to switch off with me when she was done looking around. There were several excited dogs with their owners on the porch as well, but Sage ignored them and sat quietly next to me while we waited. It was rain mixed with snow and quite cold. After a few minutes, the attendant at the door came out, asked if Sage could have a treat and invited us both into the gallery. That was cool.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 12:46 PM   #19

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
One of my favorite dog stories was when we were in Yosemite this past, early May. We went to the Ansel Adams Gallery. I stayed with Sage on the large porch while Linda went in, with the plan to switch off with me when she was done looking around. There were several excited dogs with their owners on the porch as well, but Sage ignored them and sat quietly next to me while we waited. It was rain mixed with snow and quite cold. After a few minutes, the attendant at the door came out, asked if Sage could have a treat and invited us both into the gallery. That was cool.
Dogs are used to shepherd wildlife in some national parks and public places. Like this guy...
Attached Thumbnails
6K2A1070.jpeg   6K2A1063.jpg  
DGLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 11:07 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Can leave home without him

Surprised at all the negative interactions many are sharing! We’ve been camping with our dogs for the last 8 years, from Canada to Florida, and have never had an interaction that would call for pepper spray or worse. I do keep my dog under control at all times, wether at campsite, hiking, in a pet friendly restaurant ( surprised us how many there are) or on public streets. I don’t hesitate to leave my best friend in the camper or in the truck for short periods, a shower, or meal in non pet friendly establishment. This is of course only in safe temperatures and surroundings.
Have to admit my dog has far more friends than I do, both 2&4 legged, perhaps that’s why we’ve had so many pleasant experience’s.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote