Drive up to Chilliwack from Georgia? or get delivery? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Drive up or have delivery?
Drive 20 55.56%
Delivery 16 44.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2020, 10:17 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Question Drive up to Chilliwack from Georgia? or get delivery?

Would love your opinion and thoughts under the current situation.

It's about 6 days of driving 8 hours a day to get there. We aren't really the type to drive like that... maybe 6 hours and see something.

I'm not crazy about the thoughts of staying in hotels right now either.

Question 1.... drive or delivery?

Question 2.... which route up and back? Thinking of driving across Canada without trailer... from Winnipeg over. Never done that. And driving back home to some of our national parks where we would want to stay a few days. Seen most of them a couple of times, but not camping in adult years. Camped everywhere as a kid.

Recently retired. Have the time, except can't leave grandkids for too long! And can use the delivery cost as partial payment on trip.

Of course, want to do this all sometime... but want sites open. When will that be? We can leave in July or August but not later.

Thanks for your expert opinions!
Want2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:40 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It is almost cheaper to have delivery, particularly split with someone else in the states. By then you will have a better feel for what is happening. Right now a lot of places are not open as well as the border was still closed the last I heard. But in 2-3 months with your trailer home, things may open up.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:42 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
If you really want to make the trip, you’re not going to drive across Canada; the border is closed to non-essential travel.

And if you are concerned about hotels and motels, rent a small Uhaul trailer and load the stuff you want for the return trip in the trailer. Leave space for a sleeping pad. Not the greatest camping accommodations but it will keep you out of motels. Turn the Uhaul in after taking delivery and transferring your stuff to the Escape. Then you can take your time coming back and stopping where you want.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:51 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
If you really want to make the trip, you’re not going to drive across Canada; the border is closed to non-essential travel.

And if you are concerned about hotels and motels, rent a small Uhaul trailer and load the stuff you want for the return trip in the trailer. Leave space for a sleeping pad. Not the greatest camping accommodations but it will keep you out of motels. Turn the Uhaul in after taking delivery and transferring your stuff to the Escape. Then you can take your time coming back and stopping where you want.
This is what I did when I went to pick up my 2017 21. I didn't sleep in the trailer, but needed it for my "stuff". There is (or was in 2017) a U Haul dealer across the street from Bob's Burgers (the Sumas delivery site). They charge a storage fee for leaving the trailer in their parking lot, but since Escape is currently not doing orientations, that should not be a problem.

Personally, if you can afford the time, picking up the trailer gives you a great excuse for an extended trip, and lets you stay close to Escape to check out the trailer.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:24 AM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2Go View Post
Would love your opinion and thoughts under the current situation.

It's about 6 days of driving 8 hours a day to get there. We aren't really the type to drive like that... maybe 6 hours and see something.

I'm not crazy about the thoughts of staying in hotels right now either.

Question 1.... drive or delivery?

Question 2.... which route up and back? Thinking of driving across Canada without trailer... from Winnipeg over. Never done that. And driving back home to some of our national parks where we would want to stay a few days. Seen most of them a couple of times, but not camping in adult years. Camped everywhere as a kid.

Recently retired. Have the time, except can't leave grandkids for too long! And can use the delivery cost as partial payment on trip.

Of course, want to do this all sometime... but want sites open. When will that be? We can leave in July or August but not later.

Thanks for your expert opinions!

driving across Canada my not be a option
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...nother-30-days

I like you i not to excited to stay in a motel on way out. my pick was in july but due to covid has been moved to mid August and maybe later

there giving great deal on delivery with the lower price gas.
I lik eto find a place in north dakota to have mine shipped and drive out there to pick it up.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:28 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 - 19
The border is closed to non essential travel. Pretty sure picking up a recreational vehicle doesnt fit “essential travel” Stay home Stay safe - have it delivered or wait until the border opens next year
Pembyescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:29 AM   #7

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Hopefully the border will be open by July/August and you could see some of our country from Winnipeg west. Just a tip on trip to Winnipeg. We came home this route from GA in March in three days (we're an hour south of Winnipeg at the border). To avoid Chicago traffic (and most tolls) come up I39 to Rockford where it meets I90 then there's just one toll before getting to WI.

You'd be welcome to stop and see our 5.0TA. We're less than two miles from the border crossing at the end of I29.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 12:02 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Delivery is probably not much more $$ than a round trip from Georgia. Escape's website estimates ~$2500 to Georgia, less if combined with someone else.

However, if you take an all-business approach on the drive to Sumas, you could probably make it in 4 days. Google Maps figures just short of 3000 miles and 44 hours from Valdosta (picked it out of the air) to Sumas. I know Mary & I can drive 800 miles/12 hours per day if we tag team. Bring top sheets to lay on top of motel beds and sleep in sleeping bags with your own pillows. Not much fun and a bit risky, but possible. Trip home can be at whatever pace you want.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 01:13 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post
Delivery is probably not much more $$ than a round trip from Georgia. Escape's website estimates ~$2500 to Georgia, less if combined with someone else.

Delivery does, however, eliminate a great road trip. However, given the current uncertainty, it’s hard to know how enjoyable such a trip would be.

However, if you take an all-business approach on the drive to Sumas, you could probably make it in 4 days. Google Maps figures just short of 3000 miles and 44 hours from Valdosta (picked it out of the air) to Sumas. I know Mary & I can drive 800 miles/12 hours per day if we tag team. Bring top sheets to lay on top of motel beds and sleep in sleeping bags with your own pillows. Not much fun and a bit risky, but possible. Trip home can be at whatever pace you want.
When we made the trip to pick ours up in 2015, we “hoofed” it. We live about 35 miles north of Tampa. Left early (4:00 am) on Day 1 and stopped on the far side of St. Louis, MO. Day 2 ended in the southern outskirts of Ft. Collins, CO, and Day 3 in Twin Fall, ID. We pulled into Ferndale, WA, mid-afternoon on Day 4 and unloaded all our camping stuff into a motel room. We did some sightseeing in Bellingham and met up with friends who were visiting their son over the next couple of days. Then we had our orientation and took delivery in Sumas the day before the Customer Appreciation Rally. Towed the trailer back to the motel and loaded the stuff from the motel room into the trailer, working well into the evening. Early the next morning we headed for Osoyoos. I’m happy to say the return trip home was less hectic, taking 7 weeks.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:32 PM   #10

I spent about $2500 last year going out to Chilliwack and returning. Placed it all on a new credit card with no interest for 18 months. I have one more payment to pay it off next moth.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:01 PM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Want2Go,
Our 19’ is waiting for us in Chilliwack. Originally would have been home with it a week ago but for the virus and a couple other complications. We’re in Springfield MO. Wondering if ETI might make a deal to pair up to make delivery less expensive?
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 04:08 PM   #12

My delivery was split with an owner from Chicago area, The driver stayed in Canada as far east as they could before dropping down into the US in Minnesota and then down towards Chicago area and then east from there. They normally stop in Elkhart either going or returning for parts to take to Chilliwack.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:12 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Personally I drove to Chilliwack for both my 17 & my 21. Turned the 17 pick up into a 111 day trip & the 21 pick up into a 270 day trip. Probably wouldn't work for those not retired...
Old 05-07-2020, 04:47 PM   #14

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Thumbs up

Thanks for these thoughts... still studying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
It is almost cheaper to have delivery, particularly split with someone else in the states.
From what they tell me, new transport company, lower rates and not splits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Personally, if you can afford the time, picking up the trailer gives you a great excuse for an extended trip, and lets you stay close to Escape to check out the trailer.
This is what we were thinking, enjoy it on the delivery dollar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
driving across Canada my not be a option
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...nother-30-days

I lik eto find a place in north dakota to have mine shipped and drive out there to pick it up.
Yes, if border is closed... have to drive up thru the states... not a bad alternative tho. Good thought about it being delivered to another place in the US, maybe closer to the area we want to explore. Kicking that thought around now too. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Hopefully the border will be open by July/August and you could see some of our country from Winnipeg west. Just a tip on trip to Winnipeg. We came home this route from GA in March in three days (we're an hour south of Winnipeg at the border). To avoid Chicago traffic (and most tolls) come up I39 to Rockford where it meets I90 then there's just one toll before getting to WI.

You'd be welcome to stop and see our 5.0TA. We're less than two miles from the border crossing at the end of I29.
Thanks so much for the info and the invitation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post

We were thinking the delivery price would make a nice dent in the travel budget and not be near the fun! It appears shares are not an option... so $2500 is pretty firm. Would love to do the all business approach like you and Mary... but afraid we are not that strong! Maybe 8 hours max for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
When we made the trip to pick ours up in 2015, we “hoofed” it. We live about 35 miles north of Tampa. Left early (4:00 am) on Day 1 and stopped on the far side of St. Louis, MO. Day 2 ended in the southern outskirts of Ft. Collins, CO, and Day 3 in Twin Fall, ID. We pulled into Ferndale, WA, mid-afternoon on Day 4 and unloaded all our camping stuff into a motel room. We did some sightseeing in Bellingham and met up with friends who were visiting their son over the next couple of days. Then we had our orientation and took delivery in Sumas the day before the Customer Appreciation Rally. Towed the trailer back to the motel and loaded the stuff from the motel room into the trailer, working well into the evening. Early the next morning we headed for Osoyoos. I’m happy to say the return trip home was less hectic, taking 7 weeks.
Wish you cold drive us! ha! The in person orientation for us would be priceless... video's are good for back up. We probably would need to wrap up in 5 weeks max... maybe 6? but grandkids thoughts might require 4 weeks max. yikes!

Quote:
I spent about $2500 last year going out to Chilliwack and returning. Placed it all on a new credit card with no interest for 18 months. I have one more payment to pay it off next moth.
Great idea! and what awesome memories you have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean View Post
Want2Go,
Our 19’ is waiting for us in Chilliwack. Originally would have been home with it a week ago but for the virus and a couple other complications. We’re in Springfield MO. Wondering if ETI might make a deal to pair up to make delivery less expensive?
I hear that's not an option as these rates any more... but maybe if you were in the game before it still works!

Quote:
My delivery was split with an owner from Chicago area, The driver stayed in Canada as far east as they could before dropping down into the US in Minnesota and then down towards Chicago area and then east from there. They normally stop in Elkhart either going or returning for parts to take to Chilliwack.
That sounded like a great plan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Personally I drove to Chilliwack for both my 17 & my 21. Turned the 17 pick up into a 111 day trip & the 21 pick up into a 270 day trip. Probably wouldn't work for those not retired...
WOW! We are retired, but family wouldn't allow that many days! Good for you!

Again thanks for the responses...
Still thinking...
Keep on posting!
Want2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:38 PM   #15

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Is ETI delivering to USA customers (in Sumas) right now? I understand they're not doing in person orientations, but the video might be enough for you. Personally, I forgot most of the stuff I was told fairly quickly as I was so overwhelmed by it all.

With two drivers, I would think you'd do more than 6 hours of driving each day. I've done that pulling the trailer on my own and you wouldn't have a trailer on the way up to worry about and to slow you down.

By July/August hopefully lots more things will be open, however I fully expect many campgrounds to be wadded full as 1) it's summer and that's typical and 2) nobody camped for months so they're itching to get out again.

Some rest stops will let you stay overnight in your vehicle/RV, but not all states allow that. When I did a partial cross country trip a few years ago I found a website that listed the restrictions for each state's rest stops. (This is assuming you can't get a campsite.)

I would never want to sleep in a U-haul trailer! Too enclosed and someone could lock you inside and it's not secure if it's not locked. Nope, no way, uh uh.

Any idea when you need to decide if you'll pick up or have it delivered? Personally, I'd go for delivery if you can't drive too long each day and you're not too keen on hotels.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:44 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I have done both a delivery and a drive up to Chilliwack. Times have changed since then. Pickup was an excellent option when attractions and campgrounds are open, that has become a challenge rather than an incentive. Most people underestimate how much it costs to drive out and back to Chilliwack. I see an above post suggests $2,500 for the trip. Jim was measuring out of pocket costs. I would guess a better estimate if you price your driving at real costs (insurance, wear and tear, depreciation) it would be closer to $4,000. There are a number of calculators on the web that get down and dirty on calculating your cost per mile. The generally accepted unit is used by the IRS and it is .58 US$ per mile. These are 2019 figures and will be lower, but gas prices being lower will not affect it that much. This is the actual cost of operating your car/mile. Do you think the IRS would give you a break? If you question this amount use one of the on line cost calculators, it gets down to the make, model and year of your vehicle.

With the starting point of Valdosta, as a previous post did, it would cost you $3,468 to drive out and back to Chilliwack. Add to that the cost of meals and lodging and it is easily over $4,000. Do not get fooled by your out of pocket costs, look at the real costs.

In "normal" times it would be possible to extend your trip to BC with travel in the area. What an attractive idea. Not now, you do not read much about members of the forum on camping trips. They are all hunkered down waiting this thing out. This maybe the best plan for you? If you are considering delivery it seems to me to make more sense from a financial, health and mental well being perspective.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:08 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post

Some rest stops will let you stay overnight in your vehicle/RV, but not all states allow that. When I did a partial cross country trip a few years ago I found a website that listed the restrictions for each state's rest stops. (This is assuming you can't get a campsite.)

We never worry about finding a place to stay. We do our milk run from BC to Baja and never use a paid campsite. There are so many places that you can stop, eat sleep and go that we have discussions on which one to use. I don't think anyone will ever be doomed to travel endlessly on the highway with no place to stop, like the ancient mariner.

Yes, rest stop policy does change but you have to keep in mind that the rational behind them is to give tired drivers a chance to get some rest. I think that the biggest driver of time limits is the desire to put up a barrier to prevent homeless folks for setting up camp. A respectable looking RV, obviously in transit, is unlikely to be hassled for spending a couple of extra hours in a place with a short limit.

I look at this discussion as an apple and oranges discussion. Folks want to reduce it to a comparison of dollars this and dollars that. What value do you place on the experience? Aren't experiences what it's all about?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:21 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Yeah, wouldn't hesitate to go get it. It will be once in a century experience.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:53 PM   #19

We live in south Mississippi and finally pulled the plug on our wonderful plans to pick up our 19 in Chilliwack and see all kinds of sights out west before meandering home. We opted for delivery and it was a relief to finally make that decision. ETI can easily pair your trailer up with another one headed east and that makes the cost less. Chilliwack is a LONG drive from the southeast US and if you can't really enjoy the trip by eating out and seeing some sights, well we just decided it wasn't worth the drive. So we now have our brand new 19 in the driveway, safe and sound. It was a bummer to have to cancel all of our plans but given the current state, we figured getting a new Escape (even though we had the unexpected cost of delivery) was a bright spot in a currently bad situation. Best of luck -- you'll be ok either way!
Valerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 02:02 AM   #20

Our E19 was completed on January 16, ready for sure. We planned on a epic family trip, unfortunately its going the be the movie Cannon Ball Run.

From London Ontario, it's 4000 km to Chilliwack through the States. East to Toronto, north around Lake Superior, 4500 km. I was hoping to go through the States. At current the border is closed till May 17. I expect it to be extended as the States are still trending up and haven't flattened the curve. If the border does open up and I drive through the States, I expect to be told to quarantine for 14 days, so we're going the long way through Canada.

As far as cost, I was just quoted $5500 for delivery, $4500 if I split. If I go, I figure $1000 for gas and 4 nights in hotels. I'm not going to count food, I still have to eat. Delivery is way out of my budget, and this is a trip I want to do so it is priceless.

When, any day now. I'm waiting to see if the provincial parks open up, maybe June 1. It would be nice to stay north of Lake Superior for a few days on the return.