Escape Goats follow-up trip report: long - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2015, 10:42 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Escape Goats follow-up trip report: long

Taking a cue from rbryan4, we’ll offer our post-first trip observations following our return from our pickup trip from Chilliwack.

Overall Impressions of Escape 19: I’ll echo Robert as well: our Escape 19's overall fit and finish is superb. Even the braces underneath the dinette are rounded off, apparently to prevent scraped knuckles. The seams, corners, gluing, staples, screws, etc. are all in place and fit nicely. Kudos to the ETI folks for attention to detail. Seems like every time I enter Escape Goats in our driveway, I find another “wow, look at that” item. The overall fit and finish is better than most cars.

Unexpected Niceties:

• We were pleasantly surprised by the LED brightness, so much so that the wire drops we had installed for later adding captain lights may not be used, at least not for a while. A previous 19 we visited some 2 years ago seemed rather dark to us. Ours is not.

• Pleasantly surprised by the indoor switch for the outdoor light on the passenger side. Did not know it was standard. Our 17 B didn’t have that.

• The outside shower hose sprayer is terrific. The 17 B had an ordinary shower spray head. This is a much better set up. Especially good for rinsing off mud of which we encountered a lot in our return trip.

• Darker standard color on the window shades: more pleasing than the light-color in the 17 B.

• The amount of storage: amazing! More in the overhead cabinets, under the sink, under the front dinette, and obviously, under the bed. We just hope we don’t use it all.

• The front storage box: we definitely agree with Robert: it’s a no-brainer, now that we have it. We agonized about adding it to the build sheet. The FSB is ideal for the dirty stuff, like the chock blocks, levelers, sewer connections, wrenches, etc.

• Black Mapleleaf tire cover: cool! We feel like we’re honorary Canadians. The 17 B had the white one with the Escape logo.

• Upgraded sewer hose storage tube: much easier to get to the sewer hose without needing to unscrew the difficult-to-turn cap.

• USB outlet. Nice! Didn’t know that was a part of the standard features with the 12 V. It was easier to use for charging phones, etc.

• Fan in bath: 17 B had only a simple vent. This powered fan is nice, powerful enough and fairly quiet. The fan, along with the shortened door, top and bottom, vent the bathroom quickly and easily.

Glad we did or chose:

∙ Travelsac: really like this system. Comfy and very utilitarian. That, along with a wool blanket over the top, kept us nice and cozy while returning from Chilliwack in the Pacific NorthWet. Even without the furnace running.

∙ We added a queen mattress encasement around the Escape mattress from Mattress Safe, along with a tapered foam wedge. Installing those items around the mattress, along with the HyperVent liner underneath would have made a wonderful YouTube video, ŕ la the Keystone cops. We couldn’t take it outside because of the mud. We both felt exhausted afterward.

∙ We like the black edging around our countertop and chose the Mattress Safe in black as well. Looks striking.

∙ We’re glad we left the range hood off of our build sheet. We don’t need it. The Maxx Fan does a great job.

∙ Anderson Leveler: Works even better on the 19 than it did on the 17 B. We level with the Anderson and then, once chocked, add the BAL Light Leveler just because we had with the 17 B before. Didn’t see a reason to get rid of the BAL. Using the BAL, we don’t need X-Chocks, since the BAL holds everything rocksteady.

∙ TV/Cable ready: haven’t used it for any television yet, but I’ve been experimenting with using the cable connection with the Wilson cell phone booster. I need a couple of extra connectors but, I think it should work. I’ll let you know.

∙ Tadi Brothers rearview camera: works well and set up quickly and easily with the Rand McNally GPS. We use the camera essentially as a rearview mirror, since the GPS allows the camera to be switched on at any time, not just backing up. ETI installed the camera.

∙ Umbra hooks: we have 5 sets of Umbra hooks [yup, 5, really] in the 19: 3 5-hook units and 2 3-hook units. We attached all the Umbra hooks with – you guessed it – VHB tape. No holes. I’ll post pictures later. The hooks prevent the bed, benches and table from being the catchall for clutter. Great for towels, jackets, sweaters, toiletry bags, and all things best kept off the bed.

∙ Raised dinette: after following all the threads on the Forum, we were so very glad we raised the dinette 4 inches higher. Thanks to the higher seating, plus the West Marine High Back Go-Anywhere seats [thanks to the great modification idea by Jon Vermilye], we comfortably see out the front windows as easily as the back windows in the 17 B dinette. We think this was one of our better choices.

∙ Shore Power Cord: We thought it would prevent bugs from entering but, as we learned from our wet trip after Chilliwack, keeping out the mud, detritus and debris was another good benefit. When hooking up, we can store the cord in the front storage box.

∙ Single handled kitchen faucet: ETI installed our single handled kitchen faucet that we supplied. We’re very happy that we no longer have wet hands dripping on the rear of the counter.

∙ Like Robert, we haven’t used the transfer switch but expect to do so soon. Neither our Simultalk communicators, which we use for kayaking, nor Karen's hearing aid charge on 12 V, ridiculously enough. The converter is much more quiet than the portable unit we used in the 17 B.

Campgrounds:

• La Conner RV resort: perhaps it was just the mucky, muddy rainy weather but we were disappointed, especially considering the $48 per night price tag. We chose this location because it was fairly close to Chilliwack, just in case, and thought we should try out with full hookups. Turned out the full hookup places were even more expensive and in unattractive locations. So, we had water and electric. The site we had was more than simply squishy and muddy, necessitating shoe removal almost instantly upon entry. You just couldn’t move around without tracking the mud everywhere. Worst mud we’ve had in a developed campground.

• Bay View State Park: very nice, as most of the others have already reported from recent experience. We had several brief walks down to the beach just before sunset. While not all the restrooms were yet open, the one that was available was kept nice and clean. Bay View became a good site for our home base while viewing the area’s attractions, like the Tulip Festival, Deception Pass, the quaint towns and shops nearby. By Montana standards, everything in the “neighborhood” is really quite close.

• Ginkgo Petrified Forest and Wanapum Recreational Area: what a hidden treasure for Washington! One of the nicest, cleanest and well-maintained campgrounds [at the Rec area] we’ve seen. Pricey, at $50 a night which includes the Discovery Pass fee, but a great view of the Columbia River, pleasant surroundings, and interesting geology. Next time we camp in WA, we'll get the annual pass, instead of the daily Discovery Pass fee. Across the highway at the Ginkgo State Park, the huge Ginkgo logs look like they were just washed ashore. But of course, they are as hard as rock because they are rock. The ancient petroglyphs were interesting as well.

‘Nuff said.

Klaus

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this - all good info!
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Very nice thorough report, Klaus. Sounds as if you made yourself many excellent choices. Glad to hear the storage tube is improved and there is a bath fan. And a good outside shower hose.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:49 PM   #4

Trailer: not yet
Yes, thank you for putting forth the effort to list what worked for you, and why. Nice to know the quality is there, too!
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:11 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Very nice Klaus. Funny how the things we liked were so similar. Congrats on your 19!
Old 04-15-2015, 06:31 AM   #6

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Thanks Klaus for your detailed report. For all of us waiting for our Escapes to be built it makes us anxious for ours. Your report gives a good feeling and helps in the waiting. Especially the campgrounds. Looking forward to your photos!
Best,
Lucy
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:59 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
A colored mattress cover for 21'!

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksitte View Post
Taking a cue from rbryan4, we’ll offer our post-first trip observations following our return from our pickup trip from Chilliwack.

Overall Impressions of Escape 19: I’ll echo Robert as well: our Escape 19's overall fit and finish is superb. Even the braces underneath the dinette are rounded off, apparently to prevent scraped knuckles. The seams, corners, gluing, staples, screws, etc. are all in place and fit nicely. Kudos to the ETI folks for attention to detail. Seems like every time I enter Escape Goats in our driveway, I find another “wow, look at that” item. The overall fit and finish is better than most cars.

Unexpected Niceties:

• We were pleasantly surprised by the LED brightness, so much so that the wire drops we had installed for later adding captain lights may not be used, at least not for a while. A previous 19 we visited some 2 years ago seemed rather dark to us. Ours is not.

• Pleasantly surprised by the indoor switch for the outdoor light on the passenger side. Did not know it was standard. Our 17 B didn’t have that.

• The outside shower hose sprayer is terrific. The 17 B had an ordinary shower spray head. This is a much better set up. Especially good for rinsing off mud of which we encountered a lot in our return trip.

• Darker standard color on the window shades: more pleasing than the light-color in the 17 B.

• The amount of storage: amazing! More in the overhead cabinets, under the sink, under the front dinette, and obviously, under the bed. We just hope we don’t use it all.

• The front storage box: we definitely agree with Robert: it’s a no-brainer, now that we have it. We agonized about adding it to the build sheet. The FSB is ideal for the dirty stuff, like the chock blocks, levelers, sewer connections, wrenches, etc.

• Black Mapleleaf tire cover: cool! We feel like we’re honorary Canadians. The 17 B had the white one with the Escape logo.

• Upgraded sewer hose storage tube: much easier to get to the sewer hose without needing to unscrew the difficult-to-turn cap.

• USB outlet. Nice! Didn’t know that was a part of the standard features with the 12 V. It was easier to use for charging phones, etc.

• Fan in bath: 17 B had only a simple vent. This powered fan is nice, powerful enough and fairly quiet. The fan, along with the shortened door, top and bottom, vent the bathroom quickly and easily.

Glad we did or chose:

∙ Travelsac: really like this system. Comfy and very utilitarian. That, along with a wool blanket over the top, kept us nice and cozy while returning from Chilliwack in the Pacific NorthWet. Even without the furnace running.

∙ We added a queen mattress encasement around the Escape mattress from Mattress Safe, along with a tapered foam wedge. Installing those items around the mattress, along with the HyperVent liner underneath would have made a wonderful YouTube video, ŕ la the Keystone cops. We couldn’t take it outside because of the mud. We both felt exhausted afterward.

We like the black edging around our countertop and chose the Mattress Safe in black as well. Looks striking.

∙ We’re glad we left the range hood off of our build sheet. We don’t need it. The Maxx Fan does a great job.

∙ Anderson Leveler: Works even better on the 19 than it did on the 17 B. We level with the Anderson and then, once chocked, add the BAL Light Leveler just because we had with the 17 B before. Didn’t see a reason to get rid of the BAL. Using the BAL, we don’t need X-Chocks, since the BAL holds everything rocksteady.

∙ TV/Cable ready: haven’t used it for any television yet, but I’ve been experimenting with using the cable connection with the Wilson cell phone booster. I need a couple of extra connectors but, I think it should work. I’ll let you know.

∙ Tadi Brothers rearview camera: works well and set up quickly and easily with the Rand McNally GPS. We use the camera essentially as a rearview mirror, since the GPS allows the camera to be switched on at any time, not just backing up. ETI installed the camera.

∙ Umbra hooks: we have 5 sets of Umbra hooks [yup, 5, really] in the 19: 3 5-hook units and 2 3-hook units. We attached all the Umbra hooks with – you guessed it – VHB tape. No holes. I’ll post pictures later. The hooks prevent the bed, benches and table from being the catchall for clutter. Great for towels, jackets, sweaters, toiletry bags, and all things best kept off the bed.

∙ Raised dinette: after following all the threads on the Forum, we were so very glad we raised the dinette 4 inches higher. Thanks to the higher seating, plus the West Marine High Back Go-Anywhere seats [thanks to the great modification idea by Jon Vermilye], we comfortably see out the front windows as easily as the back windows in the 17 B dinette. We think this was one of our better choices.

∙ Shore Power Cord: We thought it would prevent bugs from entering but, as we learned from our wet trip after Chilliwack, keeping out the mud, detritus and debris was another good benefit. When hooking up, we can store the cord in the front storage box.

∙ Single handled kitchen faucet: ETI installed our single handled kitchen faucet that we supplied. We’re very happy that we no longer have wet hands dripping on the rear of the counter.

∙ Like Robert, we haven’t used the transfer switch but expect to do so soon. Neither our Simultalk communicators, which we use for kayaking, nor Karen's hearing aid charge on 12 V, ridiculously enough. The converter is much more quiet than the portable unit we used in the 17 B.

Campgrounds:

• La Conner RV resort: perhaps it was just the mucky, muddy rainy weather but we were disappointed, especially considering the $48 per night price tag. We chose this location because it was fairly close to Chilliwack, just in case, and thought we should try out with full hookups. Turned out the full hookup places were even more expensive and in unattractive locations. So, we had water and electric. The site we had was more than simply squishy and muddy, necessitating shoe removal almost instantly upon entry. You just couldn’t move around without tracking the mud everywhere. Worst mud we’ve had in a developed campground.

• Bay View State Park: very nice, as most of the others have already reported from recent experience. We had several brief walks down to the beach just before sunset. While not all the restrooms were yet open, the one that was available was kept nice and clean. Bay View became a good site for our home base while viewing the area’s attractions, like the Tulip Festival, Deception Pass, the quaint towns and shops nearby. By Montana standards, everything in the “neighborhood” is really quite close.

• Ginkgo Petrified Forest and Wanapum Recreational Area: what a hidden treasure for Washington! One of the nicest, cleanest and well-maintained campgrounds [at the Rec area] we’ve seen. Pricey, at $50 a night which includes the Discovery Pass fee, but a great view of the Columbia River, pleasant surroundings, and interesting geology. Next time we camp in WA, we'll get the annual pass, instead of the daily Discovery Pass fee. Across the highway at the Ginkgo State Park, the huge Ginkgo logs look like they were just washed ashore. But of course, they are as hard as rock because they are rock. The ancient petroglyphs were interesting as well.

‘Nuff said.

Klaus
In case you missed it. We spent hours searching for a mattress cover in colors for the 21' mattress. We ended up buying a white mattress cover and a full set including a fitted sheet to get a brown that complimented the Travasak and interior color of the 21'. Mattress safe is available in multiple colors including brown and black and is water proof. Wished we had found it too. And it fits the 54 x 80 mattress!

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:59 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Thanks much for this report. I really enjoy the travel reports, and learn a lot from them.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:44 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Linky for mattress safe, if you are interested.

Another vote for the front storage box eh? That item is moving up on my retrofit list, simply based on all the good feedback here.

I was also pleased with the brightness of the factory standard LEDs. While I might consider a few additional custom locations for lights, it would be for reducing glare while sitting at a certain spot, rather than necessary extra light.

I like your reasoning for both the kitchen tap, the outside tap and the power cord. I'm splitting the difference and bringing along a heavy duty 15A cord (have adaptor) 'in case'.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:38 AM   #10

Trailer: 19' - Oct 2o15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksitte View Post

Unexpected Niceties:

Glad we did or chose:

∙ We like the black edging around our countertop and chose the Mattress Safe in black as well. Looks striking.

Campgrounds:

‘Nuff said.

Klaus
Good Morning K&K

Thank You for your detailed report - it confirms a number of items for our build sheet.
Two ?'s
Which Tadi Brothers camera did you install ?
If wireless - did it drop the images ?
What single handled faucet did you install ?
Will you be posting images ?

Again - Thank You K&K very much for your report.

Have A GReat Day & A Better Weekend with the TT.

uw
OWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:24 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by OWilly View Post
Good Morning K&K

Thank You for your detailed report - it confirms a number of items for our build sheet.
Two ?'s
Which Tadi Brothers camera did you install ?
If wireless - did it drop the images ?
What single handled faucet did you install ?
Will you be posting images ?

Again - Thank You K&K very much for your report.

Have A GReat Day & A Better Weekend with the TT.

uw
UW,

We had ETI install the SKU93157 120° White RV Backup Wireless Camera (Birds Eye View) from Tadi Brothers, shipped directly to ETI. Hooked up the receiver portion in the Pilot to the GPS on our own. So far, no dropped images, although there's some occasional flickering.

We had ETI install a Kohler Stainless Coralais Single Handle Kitchen faucet from Wayfair, also shipped directly to ETI, to the ETI optional stainless sink.

And yes, I will be posting photos, including some of the modifications we've made since we've returned to make Escape Goats our own. Seems like work interferes with getting things done promptly.

Klaus

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:02 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Overall, I like the Factory LED lights, but I have thought of getting "warm white" bulbs just to have a slightly more yellow tint. For some reason, I find it easier on my eyes, especially when reading. It isn't a big deal, but maybe when the bulbs need replacing. I have never had an LED burn out, but I did have one where a little wire broke and needed replacement.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:18 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 19' Escape "On the Lam"
What a great report, Klaus! Thanks for the details and some affirmation on choices made for the build sheet. We are looking forward to enjoying many of the same options in our 19. Also, we won't stray too far from ETI the first week or so (staying at Bay View and Deception Pass), while we shake-down, await the arrival of friends, and enjoy the coast.

May you and Karen have many glorious times in your Escape! Thank you, again, for the wonderful travel tips. Peace~
Gae
oldclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:44 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
Overall, I like the Factory LED lights, but I have thought of getting "warm white" bulbs just to have a slightly more yellow tint. For some reason, I find it easier on my eyes, especially when reading. It isn't a big deal, but maybe when the bulbs need replacing. I have never had an LED burn out, but I did have one where a little wire broke and needed replacement.
I've just installed a charging station under the driver-side dinette seat at the front of my 19. As part of this mod, I replaced the standard LED fixture with a strip of warm white LEDs (Lee Valley Tools - Important Announcement -- I use the 120 LEDs/m).

I love the colour and the brightness... I need to get some pictures taken after dark to show the difference with the standard LED fixtures.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:06 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Klaus & Karen, Thank you very much for the report on your trailer. As the deadline for our build sheet is approaching, I can use all of the information I can get. When I read how many reports say the same thing about the quality of the Escape trailer, it gives a person satisfaction to know that they have made the right choice. Enjoy your trailer. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote