Escaping Smoke - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2020, 08:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Escaping Smoke

Day 5 from SLO, CA. First two nights good and hoped for more of the same. Unfortunately, the last two in Sun Valley(Trail Dispersed) was just OK- and today unhealthy.

Change of plans(abandoning Glacier)- currently dispersed camping inside Grand Teton north of Jenny Lake. Campgrounds full- were lucky to find this spot and you should have seen the line of Southbound traffic. Conditions may improve tomorrow- we have seen amazing night sky last 5 nights- and if so will stay another night here before heading towards Lander, Wy then perhaps The Snowys(thanks U. TIM!) Cannot and won't complain given what friends in Oregon & elsewhere are dealing with right now. Praying for rain.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:01 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 21
The situation is very difficult. Hope you stay safe.
Salt and Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
No surprise, my rafting trip in southern Oregon is cancelled....tried to find on the purpleair map somewhere I could take the trailer and escape (!) confinement and smoke. Great Basin Natl park looked good but there are not a lot of spots there (100), no reservations, and I bet it's full. So guess I'm here at home for the duration.
Old 09-13-2020, 10:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 2006 8.5' Alaskan. 2008 Scamp 16. 2015 Escape 21
Lots of smoke in North Park today from the Middle Fork Fire burning north of Steamboat Springs. But the smoke column has been staying south of the Snowy Range and the air quality was still good there today. Lots of boondocking opportunities along Hwy. 70 between Savery and Encampment, Wy. Flaming Gorge and Dinosaur NM ought to be OK too.
Ditchrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
For those who may not yet know about it, h2owmn's reference to "purple air" ins a reference to the web site www.purpleair.com

It is a site that monitors and maps air quality conditions around the globe by enlisting volunteers to install WiFi connected sensors at their homes that continuously monitor and report air quality data that is displayed on a global map. This allows the user to find real time air quality information at any location where there is a sensor. It is open to the public, and does not require registration or participation in the monitoring program to access the data. It is a great site and worth checking out.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Please stay safe. I love California. I have a friend in Orange County. One of my favorite destinations.

Please post some pics of your adventures. I'm stuck at work.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:08 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Johnson View Post
For those who may not yet know about it, h2owmn's reference to "purple air" ins a reference to the web site www.purpleair.com
UGH. 629 AQI in my neighborhood.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:16 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Donna D., fyi, air quality in Portland this morning was reported to be the worst in the world. Sure hoping that doesn't last long!
Old 09-13-2020, 11:21 PM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
UGH. 629 AQI in my neighborhood.
Thanks for the link Donna. I'm concerned for west coast friends.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:24 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Johnson View Post
Donna D., fyi, air quality in Portland this morning was reported to be the worst in the world. Sure hoping that doesn't last long!
Bring on the rain! This was at 8am this morning. I live in a cul-de-sac. Looks like winter fog.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0960.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:50 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Worse yet, the really bad stuff is what you can't see - fine particulate matter.
Vancouver, B.C. was #2 in the world today. Spent the day sheltering in place - Googling air purifiers. Rare as TP.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:06 AM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Bigfoot 25RQ
I found an air purifier on qvc. They sold out right after my purchase confirmed. They did have other styles available.
Porterville, CA
Sandyb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:59 AM   #13

I have no ac, so I have been putting big air filters behind my box fans in the windows for the late evening/early morning times when I need to pull in some cooler air before shutting up the house again. They are brown after a couple days and I hose them off, dry, and reuse. Thank goodness the temp has been in the mid 80s as opposed to 105 ten days ago. Partly it's the smoke keeping the temp down. And yes, the sensors measure the tiny particles that are not supposed to be in human lungs, not the ash that covers my car. I am very glad that the carport over the trailer was installed 3 weeks ago.

An amusing tale: I have been checking on my daughter's neighborhood in the bay area just south of sf airport. I asked her if she knew where the sensor in her neighborhood was, as it appeared to be so near her house when I zoomed in. "Yeah," she said, "it's in our back yard." I should have known my techie kid would have one. She has one in the house, too.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:42 PM   #14

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
It has been really bad in Southern California for what seems like a month. These are pictures of the ash on the trailer and the car. From the bobcat fire. Took them on Friday.
Attached Thumbnails
20200909_094912a.jpg   20200909_094751a.jpg  
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:11 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 15A
The high sky is hazed over from smoke even here in Minnesota (Minneapolis) , although it doesn't seem to be bad at ground level.
BigSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:29 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 21NE
After weeks of smoke and the past 4 days of hazardous (550-ish and up to 635 AQI) air quality, we're now down to a luxurious 326. This is really getting old - hiding in the bedroom with a HEPA air purifier while the rest of the house has furnace-filter-backed box fan air scrubbers running and the AC on recirc with the outside air dampers closed.

Runny eyes, tightness in the chest, zero exercise, bad tv...the smoke map showed the purple (really bad) air moving away but now its back and projected to last a few more days. At least more rain is projected for later this week!

I would have headed for better air but it's a long way to Iowa ...there's nowhere to get away from it. The coast had almost clear readings yesterday but now it's back up to 200+.
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:59 AM   #17

Trailer: 2015 21C
Up here in BC we were covered in smoke for 9 days too. Apparently 2nd worst air quality in the world for several days. Yesterday we finally had time and sunshine enough to wash our Escape 21. It was covered in soot and ash. We are having trouble getting the roof clean...the soft scrub brush we typically use on our SUV and the trailer isn't making a dent in it. Old fashioned sponge, soap and elbow grease got the sides where I could reach mostly clean. We also tried the power washer for the roof with very minimal results. I'm wondering how others get at the roof and all of its apparatus up there to clean? My brother asked if it was safe to walk on. My reply was not for me! I'd surely fall. But perhaps my husband or our sons could get up there if it is safe??
I'm also wondering what cleaning solutions have been used successfully on the fiberglass? We have had boats in the past and used FSR for cleaning difficult stains, and followed with cleaning and polishing creams typical for boats. Suggestions? I really don't want to leave the black soot on over the fall and winter until the weather improves.
Unfortunately the smoke has returned to southern BC this morning and I fear if we don't get it clean and covered it may get permanently stained.
Jelly Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:01 PM   #18

The answer to if someone can get on the roof is DEFINITELY NOT. Also i think the power washer is not a good idea, but one of the more experienced can weigh in. Seems to me just the other day I read a post that said it can damage the fiberglass. I have used a kitchen sponge, the kind that is backed with something safe for, say, non-stick pans, on stubborn spots with gentle pressure. What are you using to wash the trailer?

In Northern California we have all of the above PLUS rolling blackouts so no fans, no refrigeration. I wouldn’t usually say this, but I can’t wait for rainy season.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:12 PM   #19

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
This is what I bought to clean Zen up with!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So far, so good. Gonna clean her up again this week. Gonna try DonnaD's suggestion to lower the landing gear to clean the nose.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 03:22 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
The answer to if someone can get on the roof is DEFINITELY NOT. Also i think the power washer is not a good idea, but one of the more experienced can weigh in. Seems to me just the other day I read a post that said it can damage the fiberglass. I have used a kitchen sponge, the kind that is backed with something safe for, say, non-stick pans, on stubborn spots with gentle pressure. What are you using to wash the trailer?

In Northern California we have all of the above PLUS rolling blackouts so no fans, no refrigeration. I wouldn’t usually say this, but I can’t wait for rainy season.
How do you actually reach the whole roof? I have been using our car washing sponge and car wash detergent. The power washer was just because we couldn't reach the black yuk by hand...
Jelly Roll is offline   Reply With Quote