Fallon NV to Chicago, IL advice needed - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2021, 08:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Fallon NV to Chicago, IL advice needed

We are heading back to Chicago from Fallon Nevada in a couple days.

Wanting to see some outstanding sights or attractions, we’re adding a couple of days to our 4-day estimate for this trip.

1. Besides taking I-80, are there other routes anyone has driven, and enjoyed some nearby sights, parks, or attractions?

2. Those who have traveled along I-80, what are some of your favorite attractions, parks, or sites?

I’d really appreciate any pertinent advice and recommendations.
TIA!
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:34 AM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I-80 thru Utah and Wyoming are a little sparce.

Since you are on hwy. 50 to start with, how about taking that thru Nevada and into Utah? You could stop at Great Basin N.P.. That is nice. It is a very quiet road.

Then you can take I-70 thru Utah and Colorado. That should open up lots of opportunities. Moab, UT, Colorado N.M. or Glenwood Springs hot tubs. Watch out for closures in Glenwood Canyon, which do happen now. Also snow may come at any time, so watch that. Same for I-80.

I-70 is very mountainous whereas I-80 is somewhat flat (mostly). At Denver I would probably transfer to I-80 (via I-76) to make time across the midwest. If snow is in the forecast, I would stay South on I-70 for as long as possible, if you can get thru Colorado. It does take about 5 hours longer than I-80. I-70 probably has better camping.

I-80 will take you thru Fall colors too, towards the end. If you go I-80 consider taking Hwy. 150 At Park City / Kamus, UT and come out at Evansville WY (I-80). Spectacular and good camping. At Rock Springs, one hour South is Flaming Gorge Reservoir and the Green River. Also spectacular. Towards Laramie, the Snowy Range is very nice but very high, so watch for snow and closures. Lake McConaughy in NE also offers respite but watch for crowds. Saratoga Hot Springs sucks (IMHO). I would not waste my time.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:51 AM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
I’d second UncleTim’s suggestion. Great Basin (if you go inside) is fantastic. Rest depends upon how much time you have. If you take route 50, you could dip down into Utah and take route 12 (one of the most beautiful roads). But, it is a bit of a detour - that’s why I have been hesitant about suggesting it.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:28 AM   #4

Which route…

Thank you for the great ideas!
How many extra days would it take to go through Moab?

Flaming Gorge sounded beautiful as well. But just to get down there and drive the loop seemed like a challenge and 2-day ride. I’ve seen photos, and it just looked so unique and appealing! Some great fishing, too.
Somewhere in another thread Iowa Dave mentioned a Pioneer village that also sounded like a worthy stop.

The last time we went through the I-80 route, we visited the Stuhr museum in Grand island Nebraska. We enjoyed going through the grounds, seeing an Indian mound round-house, A. Prairie village, and the museum of the area’s history.
Old 09-19-2021, 11:52 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I agree with UncleTim as well. Gas up before you leave Fallon to head east on U.S. 50, as gas gets expensive on that route. Great Basin is nice and very isolated, with dark starry skies. Route 12 in Utah is scenic but it travels along the top of a mountain ridge, which was bit exciting for a flatlander like me.

If you get back onto I-80 consider stopping at the Great Platte River Road Archway Monument in Kearney, Nebraska. It is a museum that spans the road like an overpass, and is worth a visit.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 12:53 PM   #6

Mike,
Thanks for the info! I do recall going under that structure, wondering what was inside. So you do recommend a visit there if we go on I-80?
It certainly is convenient!

There certainly are some treasures to see along this route.

When we took this route about a year ago, we stopped at the Gothenburg Pony Express Station in Nebraska.

It was a brief stop, but the museum itself was fascinating with artifacts dating from pony express times. The structure itself is located in a picturesque park on a side street in town. Good for a little walk with the pup, and a rest.
Great for a little history lesson for the kids too!
Old 09-19-2021, 01:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlady View Post
Thank you for the great ideas!
How many extra days would it take to go through Moab?

Flaming Gorge sounded beautiful as well. But just to get down there and drive the loop seemed like a challenge and 2-day ride. I’ve seen photos, and it just looked so unique and appealing! Some great fishing, too.
Somewhere in another thread Iowa Dave mentioned a Pioneer village that also sounded like a worthy stop.

The last time we went through the I-80 route, we visited the Stuhr museum in Grand island Nebraska. We enjoyed going through the grounds, seeing an Indian mound round-house, A. Prairie village, and the museum of the area’s history.
In regards to Moab…..it’s Monsoon season until the end of Sept…watch the weather especially North of…..
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 01:10 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Moab is less than one hour off of I-70. There is lots to do like visit the Colorado River thru Potash. Go see Dead Horse Point S.P.. Slick Rock if you like to ride bikes (not for the faint of Heart).

Arches N.P., Canyonlands N.P., Hovenweep N.M.,(getting a little South on that one).

That is a good trip. Lots of good restaurants in Moab too.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 01:10 PM   #9

Moab weather

Thanks Reetired, timely, great info. That of course, will factor into our decision.

I appreciate your advice!
Old 09-19-2021, 01:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Moab is less than one hour off of I-70. There is lots to do like visit the Colorado River thru Potash. Go see Dead Horse Point S.P.. Slick Rock if you like to ride bikes (not for the faint of Heart).

Arches N.P., Canyonlands N.P., Hovenweep N.M.,(getting a little South on that one).

That is a good trip. Lots of good restaurants in Moab too.
Yes, seeing that area is on my list. I’d like to spend extra time there, to give it justice. Also, it’s a great area with beautiful structures to paint…
I really appreciate your reply and advice. Thank you!
Old 09-19-2021, 01:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
Quote:
Thanks Reetired, timely, great info. That of course, will factor into our decision.

I appreciate your advice!
Moab is beautiful..a wee bit crowded. Most aren’t aware of the flash floods that can happen without warning..even if there isn’t a cloud in the sky! Just pay attention to the weather N and you will be fine!
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 01:22 PM   #12

Biking

Uncle Tim,
speaking of biking, I just have to give a shout out to my son.

He just finished the “Silver State 508“ yesterday. 508 miles, up and down steep climbs through the Fallon area, to Virginia city, Carson city, starting at Reno and back again.
There were wicked headwinds which cut his speed by 2/3, adding 4-5 hours to the effort.

It was his first bike/cycling marathon, and amazingly, he finished! Not only that, he placed well.

If he was traveling with us, I’m sure he’d take the challenge to bike in the Moab area! Lol…
Like most Navy fighter pilots, he lives on adrenaline and thrives on exciting challenges!
Old 09-19-2021, 01:51 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 17A
The more you stay off the interstates, the more you'll see!
noblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 05:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblets View Post
The more you stay off the interstates, the more you'll see!
Oh yes… that’s definitely the case. Hopefully, we’ll have much more time to explore the scenic routes once my DH retires!

We have a great book called “Off the Beaten Path” for more scenic routes and sites that are interesting, but perhaps not as commonly touted.

Can’t wait!!!
Old 09-19-2021, 05:27 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Oh yes… that’s definitely the case. Hopefully, we’ll have much more time to explore the scenic routes once my DH retires!

We have a great book called “Off the Beaten Path” for more scenic routes and sites that are interesting, but perhaps not as commonly touted.

Can’t wait!!!
I have one of those books also, have not used it yet........published by Readers Digest, which brings back memories of reading them as a child.....
Old 09-19-2021, 08:35 PM   #16

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
If you are in Moab and arches. Head a little further south and visit Mesa Verde National park.
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote