First Trip Report - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2014, 10:46 PM   #21

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
Great report!

Oh that must be the road....white knuckle road with sheer cliffs that is a no no! We couldn't make it to Yellowstone due to the snow...but we knew what road not to take on the way out ...if it meant back tracking

On your maiden voyage....consider yourself skilled! Any road ahead will be a piece of cake!
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:40 AM   #22

Trailer: Wannabe
I look forward to more posts from CADreamin on how you like your trailer and tow setup. I too have a 2004 Tundra (access cab) with tow package and am getting ready to try an dget a 2015 spot for an Escape trailer build but am bouncing back and forth between a 19 and a 21!

Sherry in MT
MTWaggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:58 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Having had both models Sherry, I can honestly say the extra size really makes a huge difference.
Your tow vehicle will change over the life of the trailer, so get the trailer you want vs the one that suits your tow.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:13 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Having had both models Sherry, I can honestly say the extra size really makes a huge difference.
Your tow vehicle will change over the life of the trailer, so get the trailer you want vs the one that suits your tow.

I appreciate that input. I think the tundra will handle the 21' fine and I was looking also at the $$ but honestly I think I want this to be my last RV (I've been thru 4 now) so what you say is very true!
Sherry
Old 06-23-2014, 09:19 AM   #25

I'm on my eighth trailer in 7 years, I have never had one long enough to refill my propane tanks…..!!!

ps.
Montana and upper Idaho were the prettiest states we just traversed recently on our trip to Osoyoos, which by the way was also very nice.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:58 AM   #26

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Hi Sherry - I know what you're going through. We had put our down payment on our 19' when we read about the 21'. We went back and forth before deciding on the 19'. As you read through the past messages in the forum, one theme that jumps out is: choose the model that best fits your lifestyle. There's no "one size fits all" ... unfortunately ... and that's your best guide. We are not "campers" per se. We don't go out, off the grid for a week or two just to sit and read, fish or ponder the meaning of life. We like to see things so our trailer is used as a base camp to allow us to move about, visiting historical sites, hike, or find the nearest brew pub. Plus, we are first time trailer owners so don't tend to compare this trailer to others we've owned. (We do, however, own a houseboat that we hope will soon be a fond memory ... ).

Some reasons we chose the 19: 1) We wanted "wiggle room" with the weight without sacrificing too much space as we were a little hesitant about the towing performance of an older Tundra. 2) We liked the overall size and layout of the 19'. 3) We liked the queen bed in the 19'. I made a "pro/con" checklist to help us with our decision but the differences ended up being minor.

Even though you want this to be your last RV/trailer, the resale value of the Escape means that it doesn't have to be. We had a pad poured for our trailer and, when the guy was measuring out the space, my husband instructed him to make it a bit larger. When I questioned him, he smiled and said ... "Have to think about two foot-itis."

With regard to the 2004 specifically, we had the WDH installed so don't know what towing would be like without one but towing is easy. We get very little movement when passing or being passed by large trucks. Wind doesn't seem to be too much of an issue (and we had some fierce winds on this trip) but when going over rough roads we can 'feel' the trailer. I will also mention that, in going over the Teton Pass, at the top of the pass, we were pulling in the lowest gear.

Jan
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:00 AM   #27

Jim - You've NEVER filled the propane tanks!?! Wow!!
Old 06-23-2014, 11:09 AM   #28

Yes, sorry to say. I also have not bought any tires nor brakes on any of my vehicles for past 20 years.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:31 AM   #29

Jan,
Thanks so much for your response. I'm still waffling for sure between 19 and 21. Probably will for a while yet but have been offered a chance to actually see a 19 this summer which I think will help my spacial issues some - LOL.

I hear you on the WD hitch - I've had 3 trailers and would never tow without one for sure. Too much wind in these parts. As for th weight - honestly that is probably the biggest part of my waffling. The space in the 21 for sure works best for how and with whom (okay the dogs) I travel. You'll laugh but I bought a 16' Scamp as my first trailer - went to ONE dog show where it rained for 4 days and at the time - me and 6 dogs (various sizes) drove me to sell it. Someone local got a smokin good deal. I moved up the a 19' Wilderness but that required a 3/4 vehicle to tow with any comfort (again live in mountain pass country).

I hear you about resale! Jim's comment indeed has rang true for me - only 1 of the 4 I've owned had to have propane put in it. Sad but true! LOL

Sherry
Old 06-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #30

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
We get very little movement when passing or being passed by large trucks. Wind doesn't seem to be too much of an issue (and we had some fierce winds on this trip) but when going over rough roads we can 'feel' the trailer.
I can say the same, and I have only towed without a weight-distribution system. Of course, my trailer is lighter (needs WD less) and single-axle (needs sway control more) so it isn't exactly the same situation; my point is just that individual situations should be considered, rather than just assuming that WD is needed for good towing. Jan's input is helpful, especially for those with a similar tug/trailer combination.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:16 PM   #31

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
Quote:
I mentioned in another post that we had just returned from a two week trip through Yellowstone and the Tetons with our daughter and her family (we in our trailer, they in their car and a tent). Being first time trailer AND Escape owners on our first “real” trip, I thought I’d share a few of my thoughts/observations. Sorry this so long.

Equipment
First off, make sure you read all your appliance manuals and understand them ... especially the refrigerator and the part about engaging the door lock. (How many eggs does it take to cover the floor of an Escape 19’? 24)

The refrigerator that I thought was too big after picking up the trailer, isn’t.

The furnace in the Escape is amazing. With temperatures dropping into the 20s and 30s at night, it kept us warm and cozy and the digital thermostat made it very easy to operate.

The water heater works like a champ; however, for peace of mind, we’re going to install an LED indicator light to let us know that it’s on (only used it on propane).

This is if you’re thinking of a satellite TV .... We had the Winegard dish mounted and paid ETI the extra $300 to reinforced the roof (more weight) and run the wiring. Turns out, we probably should have just gone with the jack antenna and made it “cable ready” as most improved campgrounds have cable TV (which we can’t use without running a cable through the window). Plus, the mounted satellite dishes are severely limited when camping in or around trees -- even small, willowy trees. Consider the carry-out satellite antenna instead which can be moved around to avoid trees, other rigs, etc. That said, our grandkids certainly enjoyed the TV when we were all confined to the trailer during a rain storm.

Do consider the solar option. We were five days in Yellowstone with no hookups. We ended up in a camp site that, while surrounded by trees, had direct overhead sun during the day (Canyon Campground, Loop L, site 260); thus, we had ample electricity and the batteries were almost always fully charged.

We purchased the portable Little Red Campfire and love it!! Even our daughter, who laughed at us, appreciated the fact that when it was raining too hard to make a “real” fire, we had the Little Red Campfire under the awning and enjoyed its warmth and ambiance (it doesn’t put out enough heat to affect the awning). The grandkids even roasted marshmallows over it.

We were gone for fourteen days, six of those without hookups. Running the refrigerator, heater, hot water heater and cooking, we didn’t even use up one tank of propane.

I admit, the awning is daunting at first. After our first disastrous attempt, I watched Tammy’s video and made a detailed, step-by-step guide of how to put up the awning. Too bad I didn’t include the part about taking it down (we keep forgetting those darn little tabs on the top).

Layout/Storage
We opted for the U-shaped dinette and have no regrets. On top of the under-bench storage, we found that we could actually seat six people (four adults, two children) around it (the kids snuggled in the corners).

We also opted for the three burner stove and utilized all three burners during several meals. Plus, with the cover down, it makes a great work surface AND a dish drying place (I use the Microfiber dish drying mats).

Do think about something to secure the doors under your sink. (How much does it take to completely empty the area under the sink? About two miles of rotten roads.) Small bungee cords work great.

Don’t over pack!! There is so much storage that you almost feel the need to fill up every nook and cranny. Don’t!! Save room for those gift shops you’re sure to find along the way. (I ordered some fabric ‘bins’ for the overhead storage which we used to keep our clothing and sundries neat and tidy.)

Hauling/Driving
Know your route. Being first-time trailer owners, we are overly cautious about pulling into areas that might require serious maneuvering or (horrors) backing up the trailer. For this trip, my daughter took care of all the arrangements, making sure we had pull through spots or sites where backing wouldn’t be a problem. She plotted our route from CA to Yellowstone, noting elevations, road conditions, etc. (they were traveling in a separate car). I, of course, confirmed all of her decisions without letting her know. My mistake came when I relaxed my guard and assumed that the route home from Jackson Hole to Idaho would be as comfortable as the rest of the trip.

I should have realized something was amiss when I saw the road signs approaching the pass, warning that trailers weren’t allowed from November until May, but it wasn’t until we had actually started the ascent that we noticed the “Steep 10% grade for 5 miles” sign. By then, there was no place to turn around so we had to commit. Not only was the grade steep, there were precious few turnouts -- which we couldn’t have used anyway without running the risk of not getting started uphill again! Our only saving grace was the fact that there was an older RV two cars ahead of us (he didn’t check the route either ... obviously) who was going slow enough to make us look like we were just in the traffic flow. Of course, at the summit, he pulled over, probably thinking that he was doomed as it’s a 10%, 5 mile grade on either side of the pass. We went down just fine even though there were a few prayers being murmured along the way (and more than a few thanking our lucky stars we had the brake controller). Later, I checked some RV forums and laughed as I read the comments: DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT THE TETON PASS IN AN RV OR PULLING A TRAILER. Live and learn.

Stats: We averaged 11.5 mpg and spent about $700 on gas (2,000 miles RT). Ran about 2800 to 3000 rpms with OD off and about 2000 to 2300 with it on ( 60 – 65 mph on the flat parts). And lots and lots of great memories (and photos).

Oh, one note: Bison are NOT afraid of Escape trailers.
Did you run the Little Red campfire off a separate tank or off the exterior propane connection?
Thanks
Old 08-12-2015, 11:22 PM   #32
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Sounds like good fun was had by all!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:54 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:

I should have realized something was amiss when I saw the road signs approaching the pass, warning that trailers weren’t allowed from November until May, but it wasn’t until we had actually started the ascent that we noticed the “Steep 10% grade for 5 miles” sign. By then, there was no place to turn around so we had to commit. Not only was the grade steep, there were precious few turnouts -- which we couldn’t have used anyway without running the risk of not getting started uphill again! Our only saving grace was the fact that there was an older RV two cars ahead of us (he didn’t check the route either ... obviously) who was going slow enough to make us look like we were just in the traffic flow. Of course, at the summit, he pulled over, probably thinking that he was doomed as it’s a 10%, 5 mile grade on either side of the pass. We went down just fine even though there were a few prayers being murmured along the way (and more than a few thanking our lucky stars we had the brake controller). Later, I checked some RV forums and laughed as I read the comments: DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT THE TETON PASS IN AN RV OR PULLING A TRAILER. Live and learn.
Made that mistake two weeks ago with my new 5.0.2 and old Frontier. As with you, I was fortunate to get behind someone slower than me. Unfortunately, my transmission cooler does not function well at 20 mph. It was way too hot by the time we got to the top. Stopped and had lunch while we waited to cool down. Does not seem to have done permanent damage and everything worked well the rest of the trip.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:57 AM   #34

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughharden View Post
Did you run the Little Red campfire off a separate tank or off the exterior propane connection?
Thanks
I have a different brand but do use it via the exterior connection. On mine I had to modify the campfires hose a bit, remove the regulator and add a quick disconnect. Just have to keep in mind how much gas they use.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:08 AM   #35

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I bought a stubby smaller lighter propain tank I use it for my portable campfire.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:56 AM   #36

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Propain, I like that whether it was a typo or on purpose. Kind of like a old boy I met while fishing one morning. He'd had a pacemaker installed after a heart attack and told me he'd spent 11 days in expensive care.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:57 AM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Propain, I like that whether it was a typo or on purpose. Kind of like a old boy I met while fishing one morning. He'd had a pacemaker installed after a heart attack and told me he'd spent 11 days in expensive care.
Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... Amazing what one letter can do. Guy on a business trip sends his wife a postcard from Vegas. "Having a great time. Wish you were her". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:08 AM   #38

We ran it off of an external propane tank. We ended up buying one of the smaller tanks from Camping World ... 5 lbs, I believe. Worked great (after we read the manual .... ).

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
Old 08-13-2015, 10:10 AM   #39

Thankfully everything turned out well in the end Captmath. I know what you were going through ....

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
Old 08-13-2015, 10:17 AM   #40

Trailer: Escape 19
Thank you for sharing your trip. Yellowstone is on my list for next year!

"Not all those who wander are lost.." JRR Tolkien
56reader is offline   Reply With Quote