Houston to Chilliwack: Weather or Other Issues? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2019, 02:50 PM   #1

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Houston to Chilliwack: Weather or Other Issues?

Hello All!

Thanks to you, this Newbie's tools and gear are packed! All need-to-know and do lists are printed out, maps are highlighted, and the tow vehicle has been fully inspected and outfitted. Now all I need do is continue to pare down my personal items.

The big day is October 17th, and I’m heading out tomorrow to give myself ample time. Though I plan to wend my way slowly back through California, Arizona, and New Mexico, I’ve plotted a quick northward trip, mostly via interstate highways. With any luck, I’ll get to spend some time in Canada before my orientation.

My route will take me from Houston, TEXAS north on through OKLAHOMA, KANSAS, COLORADO, UTAH, OREGON, WASHINGTON, and on to CHILLIWACK.
If any of you know of roads along my route that I should avoid due to forming weather, etc., please let me know. I’ll be checking this thread and listening for cell alerts and radio reports daily through October 16th.

I- 45 Houston to Dallas
I- 35 Dallas to Wichita
35 Wichita to Salina
I- 70 Salina to Denver
I- 25 Denver to Ft. Collins
US 287 Ft. Collins to Laramie
I- 80 Laramie, Rock Springs, on in to Utah
I- 84 toward Ogden into Idaho toward Boise and on to Pendleton
I-82 to Umatilla on to Yakima
I-90 near Kittitas to Seattle
I-5 Seattle to Bellingham
Outside Bellingham to 542 to 544 to Everson to Sumas … across the border Hwy 11 toward Abbotsford
Hwy 1 NE to Chilliwack

Now back to paring down and packing up!

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
There’s lots of traffic on I45 to Dallas but you probably know that already. [emoji4]. Wave to Casita in Ennis as you drive by.

There’s also lots of construction and traffic on I25 between Denver and Ft Collins. So be aware.

Have a great trip!
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
We just drove a similar route when we went to visit Chilliwack. We had our Casita so we had to drive slower than you probably will but we also got to camp. The area between Idaho and Washington on your route is beautiful. If you get a chance drive through the Columbia river gorge, its has spectacular views. We stayed in a county park in Snohomish called Flowing Lake that was great and its 2 hours from Chilliwack if you need to go back for something. Have a great and safe trip.
Glens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:47 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Take a weather radio with you and if it calls for freezing temperatures stay along the coast down to California.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glens View Post
We just drove a similar route when we went to visit Chilliwack. We had our Casita so we had to drive slower than you probably will but we also got to camp. The area between Idaho and Washington on your route is beautiful. If you get a chance drive through the Columbia river gorge, its has spectacular views. We stayed in a county park in Snohomish called Flowing Lake that was great and its 2 hours from Chilliwack if you need to go back for something. Have a great and safe trip.
Yes, I wish I already had my 17B so I could camp all the way up! Instead, I plan to car camp as time and weather allow, because hotel beds are absolutely wasted on me. I don't car camp often, but this stint will make me appreciate Sojourner all the more!

Thanks for the suggestion about the Columbia River gorge. I've added it to my growing list of places folks recommend and will make a point to visit this trip or the next time I'm headed that way.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:54 PM   #6

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Take a weather radio with you and if it calls for freezing temperatures stay along the coast down to California.
Good suggestion, Jim. I wasn't able to locate my weather radio but will use the one I gave my daughter. I'm already planning to take the coast part of the way, turning inland to view the redwoods and wine country. I traveled up and down Hwy. 1 between Sausalito and San Clemente when I lived in Los Angeles so may forego that strip this time round. How wonderful it will be to travel as the spirit leads! That said, this is the season for wildfires, so I'll be keeping an eye out for them, as well as for freezing weather.

Old 10-10-2019, 09:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
There’s lots of traffic on I45 to Dallas but you probably know that already. [emoji4]. Wave to Casita in Ennis as you drive by.

There’s also lots of construction and traffic on I25 between Denver and Ft Collins. So be aware.

Have a great trip!
Thanks for the heads up regarding traffic and construction. I'm looking forward to taking several rural routes on my return trip.

I'll try to remember to salute you as I pass by Ennis!

Old 10-11-2019, 07:38 AM   #8

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
Did a similar route a few weeks ago, hit snow near Juniper, ID on I84. Rasar SP, WA was an excellent first stop after getting trailer to check everything out. Safe travels. Click image for larger version

Name:	snow.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	42563
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumboscott View Post
Did a similar route a few weeks ago, hit snow near Juniper, ID on I84. Rasar SP, WA was an excellent first stop after getting trailer to check everything out. Safe travels. Attachment 42563

Thanks, JumboScott! I've added the warning and the recommendation to my notes! I know some "weather" is to be expected this time of year but hope to be prepared when it does!

Enjoy travels in your 21E!

Old 10-11-2019, 12:58 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That pictures looks so peaceful, but I realize come nightfall, a nightmare to be driving.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:03 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Welcome Ava!,
I'm sure you will have a great trip but one area that you will be transiting can be handled easier in the very early morning. The area I'm thinking about is from Chehalis, Washington (just south of Olympia) … thru Everett Washington. The traffic can be pretty bad although transiting this area around 2:00 AM becomes much easier..... especially towing.... most of the 18 wheelers will be off the road ( I-5 ). There are nice Rest Areas on each side to catch up or adjust your sleep cycle.

Alternative but a bit longer is to drive to Bellingham after pick up … there is a nice Costco there … South to Anacortes and take the Washington State Ferry over to Port Townsend ( a very interesting town). From there find your way to Hwy 101, Port Angles … etc … driving around the Olympic Peninsula. Its a bit longer but a wonderful drive. Recommend staying on Hwy 101 heading south following the coast to Astoria or really … Northern California. This way you will miss the big city traffic snarl between Everett and Chehalis, snowy mountain passes and be enjoying great views of the Pacific Ocean.

Further South and taking Hwy 101 thru N. California, head south until just North of Ukiah, California and head East on Hwy 20, South again on Interstate 5 until Sacramento, head east on #80 until Reno. If the weather is good … turn south again on Hwy 395 to skirt the Eastern Sierras … be sure to stop at Lone Pine and camp in the Alabama Hills camping area (BLM land and free ) for some very scenic areas. When I was last there I kept looking around the boulders for either Lassie and/or the Lone Ranger and Tonto. This area is pretty high elevation so watch the weather forecasts. Further south is Anza Borrego State Park, lower elevations and warmer.

Remembering past trips and with winter fast approaching here in Juneau, Alaska … can I go with you? :-)
Tom
Old 10-11-2019, 06:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Welcome Ava!,
I'm sure you will have a great trip but one area that you will be transiting can be handled easier in the very early morning. The area I'm thinking about is from Chehalis, Washington (just south of Olympia) … thru Everett Washington. The traffic can be pretty bad although transiting this area around 2:00 AM becomes much easier..... especially towing.... most of the 18 wheelers will be off the road ( I-5 ). There are nice Rest Areas on each side to catch up or adjust your sleep cycle.

Alternative but a bit longer is to drive to Bellingham after pick up … there is a nice Costco there … South to Anacortes and take the Washington State Ferry over to Port Townsend ( a very interesting town). From there find your way to Hwy 101, Port Angles … etc … driving around the Olympic Peninsula. Its a bit longer but a wonderful drive. Recommend staying on Hwy 101 heading south following the coast to Astoria or really … Northern California. This way you will miss the big city traffic snarl between Everett and Chehalis, snowy mountain passes and be enjoying great views of the Pacific Ocean.

Further South and taking Hwy 101 thru N. California, head south until just North of Ukiah, California and head East on Hwy 20, South again on Interstate 5 until Sacramento, head east on #80 until Reno. If the weather is good … turn south again on Hwy 395 to skirt the Eastern Sierras … be sure to stop at Lone Pine and camp in the Alabama Hills camping area (BLM land and free ) for some very scenic areas. When I was last there I kept looking around the boulders for either Lassie and/or the Lone Ranger and Tonto. This area is pretty high elevation so watch the weather forecasts. Further south is Anza Borrego State Park, lower elevations and warmer.

Remembering past trips and with winter fast approaching here in Juneau, Alaska … can I go with you? :-)
Tom
Wow, Tom! I'd be delighted to have someone with your experience coming along! I've made a note of everything you've suggested and will make a point to hit the route from Chehalis to Everett in the wee hours of the morning. I generally make a point to push myself on past major cities to avoid traffic. Always did this with Atlanta and saved myself lots of aggravation.

Thanks for taking the time to provide such a detailed response! Hope you stay particularly warm this winter!