How many (max) miles do you like to drive? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2016, 06:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 17B
How many (max) miles do you like to drive?

So we got our 17B last week. In the next month we're going to camp in the driveway and at 1 or 2 campgrounds within 20 miles of where we live.

But early May we have two weeks to enjoy the 17B. We live on Whidbey Island in NW Washington State. We're thinking of Canadian parks; the Wallowas in NW Oregon; Rainier, Crater Lake, and the Oregon coast, or staying right here in Washington.

I know there are endless variables (personal stamina, tow vehicle, RV, preferences, where you're driving).

So here's my question --- and I've never used or owned an RV -- how far in terms of your personal preference, is an ideal distance to drive in a single day?

Thanks.
Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Are you asking the per-days miles? or trip miles?

We've done 50-60 miles a day when exploring the Olympic peninsula.
We've done 500+ miles a day when our exploration destination is a long way off.
The most: did you know that it's 1200 non-stop miles from points on the Columbia river to our home in So.Cal.? (I don't recommend it, you miss scenery during night driving).

Total trip mileage: as soon as I retire in Dec., our range is "over the next 20 years, anywhere in the 11 western U. S. States, BC, and Alberta, at any time, and throw in one or two trips to the Atlantic side of the continent, as well.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Not sure about miles, but if we have a destination, we will usually travel between 4 and 6 hours. Depending on the terrain (mountains, etc.) that usually equates to about 200-300 miles/day. We're planning a trip to South Dakota this summer and our longest stretch will be from home to Winnemucca NV, about 7 hours (440 mi). No real stops planned as we've seen the landscape from here to Reno many times and there's not much to see from there to Winnemucca.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:28 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Now that I'm retired on long trips we try and do roughly 350 miles a day if there is no where we want to stop along the way. Have done as much as 600 when I worked, but it leaves me shot for a couple days. After a couple days of 350 +/-, it's nice to do a real short day, or better yet stay put for a day or so. Normally we try and pull into a campground early in the afternoon, gives us time to putz around the campground or surrounding area a bit. Unless it's a holiday or a saturday we can get away without reservations doing it this way.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:23 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I don't like to drive more than about five hours a day when towing. That makes it more likely that I won't be too tired when I arrive at my destination. It gives time to hitch up in the morning and set up the trailer at the destination while having some daylight left, and maybe stop for lunch on the way.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:37 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Steve, for me, towing miles are longer than "regular" driving miles. Having the trailer back there adds just enough stress from extra concentration and constantly checking mirrors to make sure all is well back there. When towing we usually try to keep it less than 6 hours so that we can actually enjoy ourselves wherever we get to. But sometimes that urge to get there takes over and my back ends up mad at me.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:01 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
We make long trips from Texas going both east and west. We have found a sweet spot between 275 and 325 towing miles a day. We try to stop by 2pm or no later than 3pm. It gives us time to relax, walk a bit, have dinner and be rested for the next day.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:03 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 escape 19
On our current trip from Michigan to Florida we drove 12 hours the first day. We take turns driving so it's not so tiring for one driver. Drove a shorter distance the second day and stopped early and enjoyed the warmer weather before driving to our destination.

That long day is tiring but in February we just wanted to get to a warmer climate so the long drive didn't bother us[emoji41]
LDRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:14 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
The benefit of traveling/camping with your own trailer: You can set your own pace!
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:46 PM   #10

50-60 miles per day on the Olympic peninsula sounds like a relaxing trip.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Not sure about miles, but if we have a destination, we will usually travel between 4 and 6 hours. Depending on the terrain (mountains, etc.) that usually equates to about 200-300 miles/day. We're planning a trip to South Dakota this summer and our longest stretch will be from home to Winnemucca NV, about 7 hours (440 mi). No real stops planned as we've seen the landscape from here to Reno many times and there's not much to see from there to Winnemucca.
Good info. I appreciate your comments on hours behind the steering wheel which is at least as important a metric as miles driven.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:54 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
50-60 miles per day on the Olympic peninsula sounds like a relaxing trip.
Steve with all that beauty surrounding you , you don't have far to go . Can't wait to get back up there soon . Kids want us to move there , maybe we will run into each other . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:15 AM   #13

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
I can wake up at the crack of dawn, drink a cup of coffee, eat a roll with butter on it, and drive all day till the Sun goes down if I really want to get to a destination. I still think it is key that on these long days you do not drive at night or in the dark.

200 miles is easy.
350 miles and I start thinking about my limit for the day which could be much higher, but gives me an idea of where I might camp.
500 miles and I pat myself on the back.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:44 AM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Normally we travel 4 to 6 hours or 200 to 300 miles per day . We have driven up to 600 miles in one day but it is rare and not very enjoyable . ( I do all the driving ) .We are retired so we are not under a time constraint so 2 or 3 days one way or the other is not an issue.
You pass up a lot of great / interesting sites by traveling 12 hours a day going down an Interstate at 75 MPH
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:13 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Depends. Curvy roads with bad asphalt can be brutal. Last year I went to the NorCal rally in Quincy, CA. Those last 50 miles on CA State Hwy 70 dang near did me in. I think the scenery was spectacular. Wouldn't know as I didn't dare take my eyes off the road!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:53 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
For me, it's not really either distance or total time - it's time of day; I just can't drive too late. That means that with an early start a 13-hour day covering 1500 kilometres (900 miles) of highway (not towing) or maybe 1200 km (750 mi) of highway (towing, or driving the motorhome) is no problem. We have driven between Edmonton and Vancouver in a single day several times, but not with an RV. Three or four brief stops are appropriate for that kind of full day.

A trailer does slow down our pace, since acceleration is slower, grade climbing is slower, and appropriate cornering speeds are lower. Although the driving experience is more intense (and thus potentially tiring), I don't have an issue with that... but then I like driving so the trailer just makes the drive more interesting.

An RV (such as a travel trailer) adds flexibility and makes splitting up the trip with an extra stop more attractive.

The appropriate distance depends on the situation, and it often doesn't make sense to blast by stuff instead of enjoying the places being driven through. On the other hand with limited time and a specific destination it doesn't make sense to spend the whole vacation travelling and almost no time at the destination. Those of us who live on the prairies are accustomed to long stretches of covering distance to get to where we want to spend our time.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:06 AM   #17

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
On multi-day trips we try to average 200 mpd. But that doesn't count the days we discover something special and decide an extra day or three is a good use of time.

Dick
Old 03-20-2016, 11:16 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Did 600 mile days coming back from Florida. Next time I will make it a 2-1/2 day trip. Wife and I swore no more after dark setting up. Doing 450 on a " no stop let's get there" is much better.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:58 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Like Brian, we, relatives and friends often do the Edmonton-Vancouver or Calgary-Vancouver run in a single day. We've done it with the Scamp.

I find that it depends on how familiar I am with the destination or camping spot I am, the further I'm willing to drive to "get there". The one thing I don't like doing is arriving in the dark at an unknown spot. Our typical "going South" routine is the last rest stop in WA., last state park in OR. and then central CA.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 01:09 PM   #20

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Seat cushions

Just found this review online. I don't have any experience with any of them, but maybe someone else does.

5 Seat Cushions To Relieve Point Of Contact Pressure
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote