How many places visited in a year - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2017, 03:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
How many places visited in a year

How many places do people visit in a year?

Do you only go Point A to B? Or do you stop and visit along the way? Thus having more visits?

Do you go Point A to B and then move around that general area to visit a bunch of places?

What kind of travel do you do in your Escape? (Or in another trailer while waiting for your Escape?) And do you keep a record?

I have a trip coming up to Wisconsin and I often try to see at least something along the way. Been this route before to Door County which is a big tourist and art and craft area. Will probably stop at favorites. This is a peninsula with lots of great little towns and marinas.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Everyone's situation is different, but here's mine. My objective when I bought my trailer was to stay away from the Gulf Coast in the summer. So I have been taking long trips, covering a few months at a time. I'm retired, so I'm constrained by budget, not time. The most efficient way for me to travel is to tow my trailer for about 200-300 miles, then unhitch and stay in that site for at least a week, using it as a base to do local sightseeing, visit friends, etc.

My current stop in Sedro-Woolley, Washington is a good example. I plan to be here for ten days. Sedro-Woolley is halfway between Seattle and Vancouver. I probably won't make it to Vancouver on this trip, but I intend to make a day trip to Seattle, another one to the North Cascades to take photographs, and I might take the ferry with the truck, but not with the trailer, to Vancouver Island to visit Victoria again.

I left home on April 12 and this is the 22nd stop on my trip. Only five have been overnight stops, the rest for at least one full day in a location. YMMV, as they say.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:12 PM   #3

I am surprised at how far you go, Mike. Guess that is because you were up there living before. So you rarely have just overnights.

I was also interested in how some of the many younger people on here still working go camping, maybe weekends and once a year a big family vacation.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
From what I've observed it also depends on whether the person views themselves as a "camper" or "travelers". Lot's are happy to find a nice spot, set-up and stay there for days and weeks. More power to them but that's not our style. We see ourselves as travelers. We pick out places and destinations that we want to see. If, along the way, we stop at a picture perfect campsite, that's a bonus but not our reason to be on the road.

Similar to Mike, we usually do 200-300 miles a day but we tend to do that for several days in a row and only stay in one place a second day about once a week.

We all have our own style. The only thing that we share is our good taste in trailers.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:08 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We on the other hand do a lot of weekend camping intrastate at state parks and private camp sites. Our tips out of state are more destination driven. Last September we drove to Chilliwack to pick up our new Escape 19 on a Wednesday and then drove 3 days to arrive at the Mississippi River Valley rally in Illinois by Saturday. We returned home the following Tuesday. In May we left on a Tuesday night and stopped Wednesday in Missouri at a favorite KOA, Thursday we are in Amarillo, Texas to eat at the Big Texan Steakhouse, Friday in Kingman,Az and arrive in central California Saturday for 2 days to visit family. Monday we head up to Osoyoos and arrive there Tuesday where we stay 5 nights. Leaving on Sunday, we arrived home Tuesday night. We sleep in the camper at rest stops and stop every other night for showers. Two weeks ago we left on Sunday afternoon and drove to Maine welcome center and arrive in New Brunswick, Canada on Monday. We pigged out on digby scallops, poutine, fish and chips, lobster and smoked salmon. We left Thursday and stopped in Saco, Me at a KOA for some fresh blueberry pie with blueberry ice cream. Home Friday afternoon. So we drove close 15,000 miles in 10 months and have still another rally in September to attend in Niagara Falls, On. Seems like all of our trips this year will have been to Canada!!!
Old 07-30-2017, 07:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
I am surprised at how far you go, Mike. Guess that is because you were up there living before. So you rarely have just overnights.
When I was working I came out to the west coast a lot for meetings and conferences, and I'd try to take a weekend to photograph the landscape in the area with my view camera (urban landscape counts). I kept saying to myself that I'd like to stay in this area or that area for a month, and take my time to get to know it better. This was also an impetus for buying the trailer.

The only time I've been on an overnight or weekend trip was when I took my trailer to Jackson, Mississippi for a hamfest. My camera club also takes a weekend field trip once or twice a year, but when I've taken my trailer on those I have turned that into the first leg of a longer trip.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
We on the other hand do a lot of weekend camping intrastate at state parks and private camp sites. Our tips out of state are more destination driven. Last September we drove to Chilliwack to pick up our new Escape 19 on a Wednesday and then drove 3 days to arrive at the Mississippi River Valley rally in Illinois by Saturday. We returned home the following Tuesday. In May we left on a Tuesday night and stopped Wednesday in Missouri at a favorite KOA, Thursday we are in Amarillo, Texas to eat at the Big Texan Steakhouse, Friday in Kingman,Az and arrive in central California Saturday for 2 days to visit family. Monday we head up to Osoyoos and arrive there Tuesday where we stay 5 nights. Leaving on Sunday, we arrived home Tuesday night. We sleep in the camper at rest stops and stop every other night for showers. Two weeks ago we left on Sunday afternoon and drove to Maine welcome center and arrive in New Brunswick, Canada on Monday. We pigged out on digby scallops, poutine, fish and chips, lobster and smoked salmon. We left Thursday and stopped in Saco, Me at a KOA for some fresh blueberry pie with blueberry ice cream. Home Friday afternoon. So we drove close 15,000 miles in 10 months and have still another rally in September to attend in Niagara Falls, On. Seems like all of our trips this year will have been to Canada!!!
Yup, I really appreciate the miles you do in a day. If my wife balks a bit at my wanting to do a 500 mile day I just remind her of how many you do sometimes.

Ron
Old 07-30-2017, 07:55 PM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
It's changed over the years but at the moment we like to do 300-350 miles a day for longer multi day travel trips. 10 days or so to go 2000-3000 miles is what we shoot for. Typically we hit the road early, 7am or so, and pull in around 2pm. We stay for a day or 2 if it's a nice campground or the area interests us. We currently look to spend a week or 2 in any preplanned destination, usually requires reservations.

Looking to head to AZ this winter, over 3 months we have reservations in 3 main spots for 2 weeks each, 3 others for 3 or 4 nights and roughly 3 weeks of travel.

Heading to TN for the eclipse, 1000 miles each way. 3 days down, 3 days back, 8-10 nights in one TN campground. A couple nights in Georgia and a couple in PA.

The only thing we record is getting the Passport to National Parks Stamped. Deb also marks the Rand McNally with the campgrounds we stayed at and weather they are worth using again.

I don't think we've ever stopped at an attraction in route, we'd stop for a day/night. I don't care to putz around with the rv in tow, much prefer to drop it off at a campground.

The way home is usually more direct and faster, someone wants to get home to the grand kids.I've done up to 600 miles as such on occasion.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I don't care to putz around with the rv in tow, much prefer to drop it off at a campground.
That's my attitude as well. I'm concerned that places I want to visit might not have parking for RVs, though they're getting better about this. I prefer parking the trailer then going out to look around.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:55 PM   #10

We also do not sightsee with the trailer. But may see something on the way somewhere after dropping the trailer.

What are all of you younger people doing?
Old 07-30-2017, 08:57 PM   #11

Quote:
We sleep in the camper at rest stops and stop every other night for showers.
(Other endurance feats deleted.) Jim-- you need to contact NASA and have them study you for background data for whenever they finally do crew selection for a trip to Mars. And don't volunteer for the study-- make them pay you.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:02 PM   #12

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
We sleep in the camper at rest stops and stop every other night for showers.
I thought the whole idea of a big trailer was to shower in it ? Am assuming you use a campground facility to shower.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:40 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Sometimes between point A and point B you have to sight-see with the trailer. On the way to Gros Verte a couple of weeks ago, we stopped at Craters of the Moon. Waaaay to far to get to the park and then backtrack. But, I didn't want to miss it either.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:45 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Everyone's situation is different, but here's mine. My objective when I bought my trailer was to stay away from the Gulf Coast in the summer. So I have been taking long trips, covering a few months at a time. I'm retired, so I'm constrained by budget, not time. The most efficient way for me to travel is to tow my trailer for about 200-300 miles, then unhitch and stay in that site for at least a week, using it as a base to do local sightseeing, visit friends, etc.

My current stop in Sedro-Woolley, Washington is a good example. I plan to be here for ten days. Sedro-Woolley is halfway between Seattle and Vancouver. I probably won't make it to Vancouver on this trip, but I intend to make a day trip to Seattle, another one to the North Cascades to take photographs, and I might take the ferry with the truck, but not with the trailer, to Vancouver Island to visit Victoria again.

I left home on April 12 and this is the 22nd stop on my trip. Only five have been overnight stops, the rest for at least one full day in a location. YMMV, as they say.
Hi Mike- have you been to the 5 B's Bakery in Concrete? A quote from Trip Advisor: This place is pure heaven for those on a gluten free diet but is also great for everyone." We loved it!
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Sometimes between point A and point B you have to sight-see with the trailer. On the way to Gros Verte a couple of weeks ago, we stopped at Craters of the Moon. Waaaay to far to get to the park and then backtrack. But, I didn't want to miss it either.
Oh, well, now that you mention it, there are stops from Banff to Jasper where the trailer can be parked. Can't miss the stops on that spectacular route!
Old 07-30-2017, 09:49 PM   #16

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Donna, that brought back wonderful memories. Was there mid seventies when I had my VW converted van camper. Yes it's eerie and beautiful. Am looking forward to returning again.

I know what you mean Donna not wanting to leave trailer in camp and backtrack. When I traveled in the van camper, that was never an issue. In fact staying in cities and towns was easy and convenient. We miss that. Thanks for bringing Craters of the Moon up, now I need to find those slides.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
From what I've observed it also depends on whether the person views themselves as a "camper" or "travelers". Lot's are happy to find a nice spot, set-up and stay there for days and weeks. More power to them but that's not our style. We see ourselves as travelers. We pick out places and destinations that we want to see. If, along the way, we stop at a picture perfect campsite, that's a bonus but not our reason to be on the road.

We all have our own style. The only thing that we share is our good taste in trailers.

Ron
We are also travellers but having travelled a great deal, we do not necessarily feel in any hurry to see every single thing around. We do, however, drive quite a lot when the trailer is at a campground. No real time usually to sit around at our site because we are out and about most of the time.

AND what are you younger folks doing?
Old 07-30-2017, 09:57 PM   #18

Quote:
We've done similar. Except for the Going To The Sun road the trailer can usually come along to something worth seeing that's not on the direct track. I've also become much more relaxed about how I park. If there's no RV parking then I just park across regular parking spots. Never ever had a problem doing that.

Ron
Old 07-30-2017, 10:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Oh, well, now that you mention it, there are stops from Banff to Jasper where the trailer can be parked. Can't miss the stops on that spectacular route!
While going from Banff to Jasper I missed seeing Lake Louise because the road to the lake discouraged RVs. I asked at the visitors center and it was suggested that I unhitch the trailer somewhere then go see the lake. I declined to do that and continued on my way. I should have visited Lake Louise while I was camped in Banff.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Hi Mike- have you been to the 5 B's Bakery in Concrete? A quote from Trip Advisor: This place is pure heaven for those on a gluten free diet but is also great for everyone." We loved it!
I intend to make a day trip to Newhalem to photograph (yet again) Ladder Falls, so I'll be sure to stop by the bakery in Concrete. Thanks!