Hwy 2 and Eight Mile Campground - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2017, 02:54 PM   #1
SCS

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Hwy 2 and Eight Mile Campground

I am considering routes after my late April trailer pickup. I am thinking of crossing the mountains on Hwy 2 and camping at Eight Mile Campground near Leavenworth, WA. I've done considerable towing in the mountains so I am comfortable with grades and curves but don't want to encounter icy roads. Is 2 typically clear at that time of year? I'm just trying to determine if this route is even feasible. I can always use I90 as an alternate but I hate interstate and avoid it when possible. Also, has anyone stayed at Eight Mile and what did you think of it?
Thanks,
Steve
SCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
There will be snow at the stevens pass summit in april but not on the road unless you hit a storm. You should be able to plan based on the weather forecast. I would also watch for snow at lower campgrounds off 2. April here can be warm and sunny or cold ans snow, so it's hard to predict.
sailor231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
I haven't towed a trailer on Hwy 2 but living in Seattle I've driven it a few times. It will be open since it goes up to and past the Stevens ski area. Hwy 2 doesn't shut down in the winter like Hwy 20 farther north over Rainy Pass to Winthrop, etc.

While you'll miss the Seattle traffic there will be a fair amount on Hwy 2. Other people have the same idea. And in April you could encounter snow given the elevation. It's windy but I think doable and likely better than the crazy I-90 traffic over Snoqualmie Pass.

As for Eight Mile campground....check and find out when it opens. The Leavenworth area gets lots of snow and I'm willing to bet that campground is closed until Memorial Day weekend. I camp on the east side quite a bit and few if any campgrounds are open due to snow unless they are out in the flats by Vantage, etc.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:44 PM   #4
SCS

Thanks for the input. Since I didn't get an "are you nuts?" from the Northwesterners, I will plan on this route but will keep an eye on the forecast. Eight Mile opens to walk-ins on April 10 so that shouldn't be a problem if the weather cooperates. There are some RV parks in Leavenworth if necessary although I do prefer the FS sites.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Ltd Edition 15B (1 of 47)
We stayed there a couple of years ago. Very nice. The river is a great place to cool off, although I wouldn't necessarily recommend that in April.
Washingtonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 05:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCS View Post
Thanks for the input. Since I didn't get an "are you nuts?" from the Northwesterners, I will plan on this route but will keep an eye on the forecast. Eight Mile opens to walk-ins on April 10 so that shouldn't be a problem if the weather cooperates. There are some RV parks in Leavenworth if necessary although I do prefer the FS sites.

Perfectly reasonable to camp in April here. Still, I'd call the FS ahead of time and make sure the campground is open for your trailer. We've had more than a normal amount of snow this year. So campground opening might be delayed. Could save you a eight mile drive.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:12 PM   #7
SCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
Perfectly reasonable to camp in April here. Still, I'd call the FS ahead of time and make sure the campground is open for your trailer. We've had more than a normal amount of snow this year. So campground opening might be delayed. Could save you a eight mile drive.
Good advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washingtonia View Post
We stayed there a couple of years ago. Very nice. The river is a great place to cool off, although I wouldn't necessarily recommend that in April.
Well, it is located on Icicle Road so I could be a human icicle.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Good advice.

Well, it is located on Icicle Road so I could be a human icicle.
SCS

Would "Sumwarein" be located west, middle, or east TN?
Old 01-25-2017, 07:17 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Lost in TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
SCS

It's just down the road from Fugawi
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:42 PM   #10
SCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
SCS

Sumwarein is close to Brigadoon in east TN. By the way, you were kind enough to show me and my spouse your trailer so you should be getting a surprise from Escape.

Steve
Old 01-25-2017, 08:22 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 19'
We have lived in Leavenworth for 5 years. Sometimes the snow is gone by mid-February, sometimes by early March. April should be beautiful. You may SEE a little snow on Stevens Pass (US2), but there will almost certainly NOT be snow on the road. US2 is a beautiful route to take. Should the FS not be ready for you. Icicle River RV is close by and has beautiful sites on the river. Enjoy your time in Leavenworth!
Dave Rosebaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:36 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Sumwarein is close to Brigadoon in east TN. By the way, you were kind enough to show me and my spouse your trailer so you should be getting a surprise from Escape.

Steve
We like surprises and look forward to camping with you guys sometime.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:17 PM   #13
SCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rosebaugh View Post
We have lived in Leavenworth for 5 years. Sometimes the snow is gone by mid-February, sometimes by early March. April should be beautiful. You may SEE a little snow on Stevens Pass (US2), but there will almost certainly NOT be snow on the road. US2 is a beautiful route to take. Should the FS not be ready for you. Icicle River RV is close by and has beautiful sites on the river. Enjoy your time in Leavenworth!
Local info. It doesn't get much better than that. I believe my questions have been answered.
Thanks,
Steve