Idaho Panhandle camp spots? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2015, 11:18 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B, 2012
Idaho Panhandle camp spots?

We are planning a trip in June to bike the Hiawatha and Trail of the Couer D' Alenes. We have places reserved at Heyburn SP for a few days but we want to be close to Mullan or Kellog for a day or two also. We will be using our Escape but our friends will be tenting (feel sorry for them!).
Anyone have any good ideas or experience in this area? The closest National Forest CG I can find is Bumblebee which is 45 minutes from Mullan. There are some private campgrounds but they are close to the freeway. This may be okay for a day but I'd prefer someplace quieter.

Eric
Old 03-12-2015, 11:23 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
We tented once at Mokins Bay. If I remember right there were tall pines that formed a canopy over everything, and a nice view of Hayden Lake. Try http://recreation.gov for a pretty complete list of USFS Campgrounds by state.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Quote:
Originally Posted by holo View Post
We are planning a trip in June to bike the Hiawatha and Trail of the Couer D' Alenes. We have places reserved at Heyburn SP for a few days but we want to be close to Mullan or Kellog for a day or two also. We will be using our Escape but our friends will be tenting (feel sorry for them!).
Anyone have any good ideas or experience in this area? The closest National Forest CG I can find is Bumblebee which is 45 minutes from Mullan. There are some private campgrounds but they are close to the freeway. This may be okay for a day but I'd prefer someplace quieter.

Eric
We camped at Heyburn SP last September; quiet and right on the lake. You can cycle a great paved railway trail right from the campsite (the first 2 miles are on a quiet side road). The trail goes over the lake on the old railway bridge then follows the lake and river for 72 miles; excellent ride though we only did 45 miles of it.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:07 AM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
We are headed to Heyburn SP for a week at the end of August. The bicycle trail is gorgeous!
Old 03-13-2015, 08:06 AM   #5
RWS

Trailer: 2014 escape 21
campground

This is where I live. On the Montana side. There is a great quiet nf campground about 2 miles off I-90. It's off exit 22, Henderson exit. Cabin city campground. It's a lightly used campground, very quiet. There is also a nice dispersed site about 3 miles past campground next to flat rock creek. I use it just for a quick getaway. Only six miles from house but feels a lot further. These are all on Lolo national forest.Exit 22 is 22 miles from lookout. The bike trail is great. I moved here just as they were tearing out the train tracks, rode my horse down that trail many times before they turned into bike trail. Any questions let me know. June can be a sketchy month here in Montana as far as weather goes.
RWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:57 AM   #6

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
Take Your Bicycles

The paved path from Plummer to Kellog is beautiful. It winds along farm valley's, a lake, river- just spectacular. There are picnic tables and pit toilets every so often. It was so very quiet.

We saw birds. Some occasional walkers and bicycles, evidence of horse but outside of the caretakers on quads, no powered vehicles.

We used 2 vehicles and did the trip one way using a relay.
Trail of the Coeur d' Alenes | Idaho Parks & Recreation

I don't have any camp ground recommendations but I want to return to this area for another visit.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:51 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17B, 2012
Thank you all!! I was wondering what the ride near Kellogg was like and now I know. I am now convinced this is a good idea to visit the area. And thanks to RWS for the Cabin City CG suggestion…this is just what I wanted. Also, thanks for the warning about the weather. We will be sure to take appropriate clothing.
Our weather here in Oregon has been so warm and dry this winter I tend to forget what's normal.

Eric
Old 03-13-2015, 01:01 PM   #8
RWS

Trailer: 2014 escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by holo View Post
Thank you all!! I was wondering what the ride near Kellogg was like and now I know. I am now convinced this is a good idea to visit the area. And thanks to RWS for the Cabin City CG suggestion…this is just what I wanted. Also, thanks for the warning about the weather. We will be sure to take appropriate clothing.
Our weather here in Oregon has been so warm and dry this winter I tend to forget what's normal.

Eric
Also if your looking for good food and don't want to camp cook the Oasis bar and grill has best food in county, Exit 18, De Borgia,Mt. closed on Mon.I really think you will like campground.
RWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 01:07 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Silverwood: RV Park is an RV park adjacent to an amusement park and water park.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote