Ideas for trip - New Mexico, Arizona over Christmas - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2021, 05:26 PM   #21

Trailer: Casita ... for now ...
I did start to look at the possibility of having Big Bend NP as our main destination. I could use some advice regarding that -

I see spotty availability (different sites) for our dates Dec 22-27 in the Chisos Basin campground (we'd have to move 3-4 times for a stay that long in it). There is full availability in Rio Grande Village campground. Any advice on what's most preferable. We could, of course, break it up, stay 2 or 4 nights in Chisos Basin and the rest of the time in Rio Grande Village...

Chisos campsites that would work for you: 7, 25 and 26 (all pull-thrus), 15 and I think 18...

Last time we were there there was a 5.0 TA in site 25 and some old friends showed up with there 21 and managed to squeeze it in 15.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0018.jpeg  
brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 05:27 PM   #22

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregColdewey View Post
While Big Bend is worth a visit, and that is a perfect time to go, I would be hesitant to take a 21 into the chisos basin. It is extremely tight. Having said that, BBNP is one of our favorite places that we visit frequently and there are other options to camp in the park.
We have 5.0. While I am new at this, I have already had a fair amount of narrow and twisty mountain roads driving. The main thing that makes me nervous is the backing in the camper.

As I said, we were able to patch together 5 nights in Chisos campground. Have to change campsites 3 or 4 times - so will have plenty of opportunity for trying to back in and making a fool of myself. But, you only live once, so we will give it a shot.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 05:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by brain View Post

Chisos campsites that would work for you: 7, 25 and 26 (all pull-thrus), 15 and I think 18...

Last time we were there there was a 5.0 TA in site 25 and some old friends showed up with there 21 and managed to squeeze it in 15.
Thank you for that! The sites we got so far are - 7 (pull thru), 16 (back in), 20 (listed as parallel), 38 (listed as parallel). I will look again if 18, 25, 26 are available and if we can switch...
Old 07-11-2021, 05:41 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You will learn to back up by backing up. Just do it.
Old 07-11-2021, 05:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You will learn to back up by backing up. Just do it.
Thank you very much, Glenn! We are going to keep trying. Even though my wife got a bit discouraged when I made it to the 6th failure out of 6 tries, we carried on. Put in another mildly unproductive practice session in a parking lot in Reno and were finally successful in backing into a narrow spot in Thomas Canyon near Elko, NV. So, the record is 1/7 now instead of 0/6 Heading to camp in early August, so ready for the next round...
Old 07-11-2021, 09:08 PM   #26

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
By the time December comes you will be much more comfortable with backing up, just takes time and practice but it will come to you. Some of the sites at Chisos Basin are small / short and if there is not room for your both your truck and trailer you can always park your truck in the overflow parking at the amphitheater adjacent to the campground. And if you see a great trailer spot come open in the first-come area one day, check with the campground host - they will often let you switch to that site.

Lost Mine Trail is a wonderful hike that is not too long - about 5 miles round trip, I think - but great views and interesting terrain. It has only a small roadside parking area and you usually have to go pretty early in the morning to get a spot. A couple of other lesser known trails, outside Chisos Basin but not too distant, that are well worth exploring are Upper Burro Mesa Pouroff and Cattail Falls.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:21 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape 19
Boondocking is fine in the south parking area. Be sure to arrive Bisti with water tanks full.
Ron & Sandey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 11:00 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
By the time December comes you will be much more comfortable with backing up, just takes time and practice but it will come to you. Some of the sites at Chisos Basin are small / short and if there is not room for your both your truck and trailer you can always park your truck in the overflow parking at the amphitheater adjacent to the campground. And if you see a great trailer spot come open in the first-come area one day, check with the campground host - they will often let you switch to that site.

Lost Mine Trail is a wonderful hike that is not too long - about 5 miles round trip, I think - but great views and interesting terrain. It has only a small roadside parking area and you usually have to go pretty early in the morning to get a spot. A couple of other lesser known trails, outside Chisos Basin but not too distant, that are well worth exploring are Upper Burro Mesa Pouroff and Cattail Falls.
Thank you very much David! I appreciate the trail suggestions!I have already started a file for the trip - and all this info is going there. Even though we will not be frequent visitors to the park, will likely buy a hiking book to give us a good idea. We get more out of the place with some good information to guide us.

I too hope I will be a bit better at backing in. But, it's good to know about the first-come-first serve sites. That might give us some possibilities!

Many thanks!
Old 07-11-2021, 11:02 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Sandey View Post
Boondocking is fine in the south parking area. Be sure to arrive Bisti with water tanks full.
Thank you for the tip! Will keep that in mind, even though we will likely be coming from the Needles district of Canyonlands which isn't big on facilities.

Any idea how cold it gets in mid-December?
Old 07-12-2021, 07:13 AM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
You will often find a utility water spigot available in the back area of a Burger King or many such places. Usually no one will stop you from filling up a tank, or a 5 gallon jug but, of course I wouldn't use it for drinking.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:15 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
You will often find a utility water spigot available in the back area of a Burger King or many such places. Usually no one will stop you from filling up a tank, or a 5 gallon jug but, of course I wouldn't use it for drinking.
Thank you, Myron! That’s a good idea.

We take bottled (gallon) drinking water for cooking and drinking. So, that would work.

Many thanks!
Old 07-12-2021, 08:40 AM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
A short (2.2 mile round trip) hike to Balanced Rock is off Grapevine Hill Road.

I stayed in one of the parallel sites (44) at Chisos Basin that is just a wide section of the road. A bit uncomfortable with the traffic going by close enough that I didn't open my Escape 17 escape window, but a great view from the site.

While I prefer Chisos Basin, it is difficult to get a site, particularly if you need it at a specific time and want to stay more than one day. I have stayed in all three campgrounds, and usually end up at Rio Grande Village so I don't have to move every day. I'll be there Nov 14 - 19...
Attached Thumbnails
_JV28184.jpg   _JRV1898.jpg  
Old 07-12-2021, 08:55 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
A short (2.2 mile round trip) hike to Balanced Rock is off Grapevine Hill Road.

I stayed in one of the parallel sites (44) at Chisos Basin that is just a wide section of the road. A bit uncomfortable with the traffic going by close enough that I didn't open my Escape 17 escape window, but a great view from the site.

While I prefer Chisos Basin, it is difficult to get a site, particularly if you need it at a specific time and want to stay more than one day. I have stayed in all three campgrounds, and usually end up at Rio Grande Village so I don't have to move every day. I'll be there Nov 14 - 19...
Thank you, Jon! Good to know about the parallel sites. We don’t particularly like them but they might suite us for the daily move. We too don’t care for the daily move, but thinking that (a) we might be able to switch and reduce a move or two, and (b) with hiking possibilities close by, we could go for a morning hike on the move day before the checkout time and move closer to the window around the checkout.

Will look at the trail you mentioned.

Enjoy your visit to Big Bend NP.

Many thanks!
Old 07-12-2021, 10:53 AM   #34

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
Unless you're in the low desert in Arizona be prepared for freezing weather.
New Mexico seems to be plagued with a bit of crime.
WanderBred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 11:32 AM   #35

Trailer: none
Navajo Lake State Park (Cottonwood CG there is lovely) is a nice place to camp as a base for doing a day trip into Chaco Canyon.
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 11:33 AM   #36

Crime is more of a problem in the cities...not so much at the recreation sites. Just use common sense, as you would anywhere.
Sold both 7/22
Old 07-21-2021, 01:05 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
Navajo Lake State Park (Cottonwood CG there is lovely) is a nice place to camp as a base for doing a day trip into Chaco Canyon.
Thank you very much!

I am not entirely sure if we will have time to fit Chaco canyon in to the trip. We have been there once for a day trip. So, our ambition is to spend a couple of nights there but looks like it's not a good idea to take our Escape there. Is that correct?

The last time we were there (without camper), the crime was a significant issue as our car was unnecessarily (nothing was available / visible inside) on the trailhead for Canyon de Chelly. Panhandling was also quite prevalent. So, we are a bit more cautious in this area.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:14 PM   #38

I agree that taking your trailer on the road into Chaco would not be the best idea. You could probably make it but you would surely shake things up quite a bit and it would take a long time...going 4 or 5 miles an hour for 7 miles. Also, if you get a rainstorm those roads get even worse. WE would not do it.... We once took our 5er into a CG that had a 2 mile washboard entry road...we had most things pretty well locked down but it shook our fridge door right off! We have enhanced our 'lock-down' techniques since then!
Yes, you probably don't have enough time for Chaco this time, but when you do get back there, we would heartily recommend Cottonwood Campground at Navajo Lake State Park. It is still about 2 hours from there to Chaco but you can still make a decent day trip out of it. The pull through sites are particularly nice and you can walk to the adjacent stream to bird watch or fish. Restrooms are fine. No showers at Cottonwood.
As for crime, it is really just situational...just be cautious and attentive to your surroundings. For example, NEVER stay at a hotel in Albuquerque with a utility trailer...there is a high probability of theft...particularly disheartening for people passing through on a move to someplace new.
Happy trails!
Sold both 7/22
Old 07-21-2021, 02:27 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
I agree that taking your trailer on the road into Chaco would not be the best idea. You could probably make it but you would surely shake things up quite a bit and it would take a long time...going 4 or 5 miles an hour for 7 miles. Also, if you get a rainstorm those roads get even worse. WE would not do it.... We once took our 5er into a CG that had a 2 mile washboard entry road...we had most things pretty well locked down but it shook our fridge door right off! We have enhanced our 'lock-down' techniques since then!
Yes, you probably don't have enough time for Chaco this time, but when you do get back there, we would heartily recommend Cottonwood Campground at Navajo Lake State Park. It is still about 2 hours from there to Chaco but you can still make a decent day trip out of it. The pull through sites are particularly nice and you can walk to the adjacent stream to bird watch or fish. Restrooms are fine. No showers at Cottonwood.
As for crime, it is really just situational...just be cautious and attentive to your surroundings. For example, NEVER stay at a hotel in Albuquerque with a utility trailer...there is a high probability of theft...particularly disheartening for people passing through on a move to someplace new.
Happy trails!
Thank you very much! Very helpful indeed. We will follow your advice to avoid driving to Chaco canyon with the camper. I will look up the campground you mentioned, in case we are able to stop there on the way back...

Thanks again!
Old 07-21-2021, 03:23 PM   #40

Trailer: 2010 Casita
Traveled in West Texas and southern New Mexico for 40 years. Call and I can give you ideas. 254 855 5853. Warren
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote