Indiana to Quartzsite - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2021, 10:11 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Indiana to Quartzsite

Hi gang. We want to go to Quartzsite this year (first time) and I am using RV Trip Wizard to plan the route. It is taking me through St. Louis I55 to I64. I've never driven around St. Louis before, should I use this route or should I try to avoid driving through the city? Thanks for your help.
Old 10-21-2021, 10:38 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
I’ve only been thru St Louis a couple of time both without a trailer in tow. I personally would not and will not tow our 21 thru there get congested in several areas n small lanes. But then this is me others are braver than me lol.

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 10:47 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I’ve driven through St Louis a few times about mid day while pulling the Escape. It was very similar to driving the beltway around Indianapolis at the same time if the day. I’m sure you’re familiar with that. It’s busy, not incredibly crowded and drivers are pretty good about allowing lane changes if you have to. I would not travel either direction “out of the city” on Friday afternoon (westbound for you) or “into the city” on Sunday afternoon (eastbound) if I could avoid it. That’s my experience. Stay away from snow or black ice. We drove though the center of town right past Lambert air field, and the Arch at about noon on a weekday the last time. Running about 60 mph, never touched the brakes. Came in from 61 southbound onto I70 eastbound and switched to I 64 in the spaghetti mixmaster in east St Lous. a quiet quaint little river town Steady as she goes and have adequate fuel as you approach any big city.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-21-2021, 12:24 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It is not a bad drive if non rush hour. The Arch is worth the drive to be seen if not done yet.....
Old 10-21-2021, 01:22 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape
I’ve towed the trailer on I55 into and through St Louis four or five times during the winter, usually mid afternoon. It’s been fine, I never saw a need to find a longer way around. The big benefit is the Arch. Seeing it from the distance and then traveling almost to the base of it is impressive.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 02:18 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
It is not a bad drive if non rush hour. The Arch is worth the drive to be seen if not done yet.....
While working for the Park Service, I did a lot of communication work on the Arch
The old courthouse is equally impressive
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 02:56 PM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
You could take I-69 to Nashville, KY or Clarksville KY, then over to Memphis.

Then take I-40 West or even work towards I-20.

But you have to go thru Dallas, TX.

Pick your poison. If the weather is threatening or bad, I try and head South as quick as I can, generally. As Iowa Dave suggested, all the bypasses to big cities are generally the same. Watch out for exits and heavy traffic.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 03:24 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Clown View Post
Hi gang. We want to go to Quartzsite this year (first time) and I am using RV Trip Wizard to plan the route. It is taking me through St. Louis I55 to I64. I've never driven around St. Louis before, should I use this route or should I try to avoid driving through the city? Thanks for your help.

I would take 270 from 55, that will easily connect to 64, it’s a city bypass.

The downtown highway configuration can be confusing even for those from here.

Have you seen the Chevy Chase movie where he took a wrong turn in STL, you have to know where not to go. Usually you’re already there when you figure out your not where you should be.

Nothing downtown is worth taking the chance, car jacking is like calling an Uber here.

We are back on top as number one this year, and not for a good thing.

I recently saw a class A broken down on the side of the highway near the arch, it was getting dark out, not good.

Hopefully they had the sense to carry their little friend with them…
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 04:18 PM   #9

St. Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
I’ve towed the trailer on I55 into and through St Louis four or five times during the winter, usually mid afternoon. It’s been fine, I never saw a need to find a longer way around. The big benefit is the Arch. Seeing it from the distance and then traveling almost to the base of it is impressive.
https://www.google.com/search?q=st+l...e-gws-wiz-serp

I’ve not lived in St Louis but I’ve lived next
to Cleveland and Omaha. Never had a problem anywhere. I’ve been in a tree with a bear climbing up the trunk and I let him live.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
42C0CA5F-F632-4E5C-B35B-8A41D9468A5F.jpeg   01AAF08B-8B5A-4CA6-A11C-790999119B4A.jpeg  
Old 10-21-2021, 04:27 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have traveled inside the arch, they have elevators that take you up to observation deck that has tiny windows, hard to see anything.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:18 PM   #11

I took the kids to the arch years ago. I lifted them up so they could see out the windows. What was interesting was that when I looked out and down toward the ground the trees had sustained a frost and dropped their leaf crop straight down around the trees.
They made a neat pattern on the ground of red, yellow, and orange circles contrasted against the green turf. It was very pretty to me anyway.
Iowa Dave